• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm told they can be difficult to get rid of. 

It is also Chinese New Year, we can have Chinese Burns.

I remember Chinese burns - it really hurt when someone twisted the skin on your wrist 

51 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

it appears someone has hidden them! 

On 1/24/2020 at 12:00 PM, philmayfield said:

My wife’s hidden them and won’t tell me where! So much for piping in the haggis tomorrow.

See the very same post this time last year, comes to us all eventually :crazy: 

I read that the nine notes of the bagpipe form a simple Mixolydian scale with a flattened 7th on top and bottom.  However, music is a foreign language to me so I don't know what that means!

I bought my bagpipes on a whim (as one does) from a chap called Denny Goodwin who had a music shop on Victoria St. in Newark. He came originally from India so he must have Anglicised his name. The shop was a treasure trove of musical instruments; he sold the whole range from strings to wind. He was an accomplished jazz musician who had (still has) his own quartet. He retired from the shop some years ago but still plays gigs in the area. The pipes came with a tin of disgusting brown gooey stuff which had to rubbed onto the inside of the bag to retain the airtightness. I never got around to doing that though!

Mixolydian is, roughly, G to G on a piano keyboard (white keys only, missing out F# which would be the G major scale)) but not quite because the piano is tuned with equal temperament which means each note is slightly 'out'. If bagpipes are designed to operate in mixolydian mode then they supposedly could play jazz!

I think someone once referred to the saxophone*, which is not an easy instrument to master, as 'an ill wind that nobody blows any good!'  Perhaps, being an American, he wasn't familiar with bagpipes.

*This quote is also attributed to the oboe.

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

@brew

The flattened seventh, or leading note, of any scale is one of the elements which gives jazz its distinctive sound. I'm not a jazz fan but the bagpipe player obviously is.

2 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I read that the nine notes of the bagpipe form a simple Mixolydian scale with a flattened 7th on top and bottom.  However, music is a foreign language to me so I don't know what that means!

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Mixolydian is, roughly, G to G on a piano keyboard (white keys only, missing out F# which would be the G major scale)) but not quite because the piano is tuned with equal temperament which means each note is slightly 'out'. If bagpipes are designed to operate in mixolydian mode then they supposedly could play jazz!

I think someone once referred to the saxophone*, which is not an easy instrument to master, as 'an ill wind that nobody blows any good!'  Perhaps, being an American, he wasn't familiar with bagpipes.

*This quote is also attributed to the oboe.

thumbsdown Can you stop now please until I can find a nice dark corner to lie down in, me brain 'urts...

I know what you mean Brew - I find music theory to be rather complex.  I've read lots about it over the years because I am fascinated by the links to pattern and mathematics.  However, I have never learned to play an instrument properly so without putting theory into practice, it just doesn't stick.

Send him to play on Nottingham castle

2 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I know what you mean Brew - I find music theory to be rather complex.  I've read lots about it over the years because I am fascinated by the links to mathematics

I presume you’ve read ‘The music of the primes’ ?  Fascinating…

8 hours ago, Brew said:

thumbsdown Can you stop now please until I can find a nice dark corner to lie down in, me brain 'urts...

Perhaps you need to go and listen to some Stockhausen. It almost makes bagpipes sound good!

I'm surprised they don't fry the Haggis in batter first, along with their Mars bars. Incidentally,  I love Neaps.

I've being going to Scotland for many years both for business and pleasure. Chips used to be a staple of the diet and it wasn't until recent years that they started to serve decent food in hotels and restaurants. A crab salad in a restaurant in the fishing port of Cambeltown some years ago was made using tinned crab!

I remember at school in ‘Domestic Science’ -as it was then known- dressing a crab!  I think our school must have been very upmarket in those days!

it’s called Food Technology or Food and Nutrition  now I believe and the children probably make pizzas and burgers..