The best fish n chips I've had were in Mallaig, after a steam journey on the Jacobean train out of Fort William. The chippie was about 150 yards from the station, I remember going up a staircase to get to it, (queueing on the stairs). Took our feast down to the quayside to watch the CalMac ferries.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm told they can be difficult to get rid of. 

It is also Chinese New Year, we can have Chinese Burns.

I remember Chinese burns - it really hurt when someone twisted the skin on your wrist 

Never had any, so can't comment. Might nip up to Cromer next time we go to Wroxham, see if we can grab one. Are they seasonal?

Will have to give it a try. Better get a tin, next time we shop.

Never heard of Tabasco sauce.

Oh what a sheltered life I lead.

Love fresh crabs, practically grew up with them. My grandfather used to go to Walney to catch them. He put them all in a sack and took them home where Nana had already a big pot boiling on the stove. Grandfather tipped them all out on the kitchen floor and we all scrambled to collect them and put them into the boiling pot. Along with prawns they were my favoutite and still are in any form, cooked, raw, in curry or spicy sauce. 

Having Scottish roots I love the bagpipes too, my cousin and his daughter both play. They live in Australia and most years travel up to play in the Edinburgh Tattoo. They have a group of scottish nationals where he lives.

It's not easy to get fresh crab in Notts. I used to get them from the Victoria Centre fish stall but I don't go into the city these days. We did have a fish seller from Grimsby who came in a van every week and he would bring crabs to order along with so called 'fresh Grimsby fish'. I dispensed with his services when I saw him buying fish from the fish counter in Netherfield Morrisons so sell at a mark up to his customers! Strangely enough he was called 'Kevin from Grimsby' but was too obese to be the one from  'Strictly'!

Well we do have Guy Fawkes Night when we celebrate the antics of a Yorkshire born chap. Probably one of the very few to have entered the Houses of Parliament with honest intentions.

What about Trafalgar day or Waterloo night. I know they were away from our shores but they were won by Englanders.