Hi - Im already a member of a facebook old Nottingham group and saw this site so thought I would join.

Here is a brief bio

Born 1964 worksop notts - lived Newark until 1967. Moved overseas with parents until 1972.

1972 lived near Bosworth School in the Meadows for a year then moved away from the area.

Moved to Ilkeston in 1974-78 then Brinsley until 1979.

Moved to Melton until 1981 then moved to Silverdale in 1982.

Lived in Nottingham until 1989 then Derby until 1997.

Lived in Beeston 97-2001 then W Bridgford until 2010 then moved away from the area.

Im currently living in Stoke On Trent. My father and sister have lived in Nottingham continually since 1982 to date.

Im probably mainly interested in 70s and 80s Nottingham. I had 2 different retail shops on Mansfield Rd in the late 80s early 90s and I also studied at Trent Poly in the 80s and Nottingham Uni in the late 90s.

Well that's about it - look forward to contributing on here. I have a fairly sharp memory so hope to be useful too.

• Like 1

Stuart, you have certainly moved around a lot!  You’re much younger than I am so the Nottingham you remember is probably much different from my memories, but I hope you’ll continue posting on Nottstalgia.  I think everyone’s memories are valuable and it’s good to share :) 

Welcome Stuart, you should have a good memory, you're only a little lad. :)

All those moves, is that what's called, "Being one step ahead of the law" .

Like Margie, I'm afraid my nottingham will be a bit different to yours. ( just realised, I were

a bus driver when you were born. Yours truly, An old fart.

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Stuart, you have certainly moved around a lot!  You’re much younger than I am so the Nottingham you remember is probably much different from my memories, but I hope you’ll continue posting on Nottstalgia.  I think everyone’s memories are valuable and it’s good to share :) 

Thanks - yes I have been many places. I also spent time living abroad as an adult but could not include everything. I see you are in Ely. I lived in Somersham near St Ives (cambs) 2010 to 2021 and know Ely quite well - lovely place.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

You must hold some kind of record for living in so many different places within 57 years.

And maybe you're also on a record number of Old xxxx forums and websites. 

No Cliff because my nostalgia interests are centred on Nottingham - Im not that bothered about Derby or any of the other places I lived. Being a 1972 Meadows kid gives me some credibility as a local Notts boy so my nostalgia is  rooted in those times as it is for a lot of people that lived in the old Meadows. 

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Like Margie, I'm afraid my nottingham will be a bit different to yours. ( just realised, I were

Yes a bit different but I still find past eras interesting

That would have been (probably) a trolley bus, no. 40/47, to Wells road/Kildare road. My first solo Outing as a licenced conductor. I've been left nottingham now for 35 years. Much to my shame, I can hardly recognise lots of areas around there. There was a pub on Wilford Road that I used to frequent and sometimes sang in there, but for the life of me, I cannot remember the name. No doubt one of our Meadows brethren will put me right.

Keep posting Stuart, you'll be able to enrich my memory.

38 minutes ago, Stuart1964 said: I see you are in Ely. I lived in Somersham near St Ives (cambs) 2010 to 2021 and know Ely quite well - lovely place.

Just a few miles from our village then…. 

9 hours ago, denshaw said:

The pub on Wilford Road could have been the Magna Carta.

The Magna Carta on Wilford Rd was a Home Ales pub, demolished long before I came to OZ in 1975.

There is a photo on this link along with some other long lost pubs. 

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/gallery/see-photos-long-lost-pubs-1809306

Are the Magna Carta, Worlds End and the Railway at Lowdham still going?

On 1/22/2022 at 6:39 PM, Beekay said:

Welcome Stuart to our mad house just adding to Big Ears post

Was lt true that people would kept moving around and they would always flit at night so the 9 o'clock horses didn't get them ?

On 1/24/2022 at 12:42 PM, katyjay said:

Stuart, how many schools did you go to?

In the UK 4 primary schools - 3 secondaries and 1 FE college.

Overseas - another 6 if you include kindergartens

Yes I didn't have what one would call a settled childhood - we did move around quite a bit.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Stuart. I'm looking forward to your contributions.

Apart from a  fondness for Nottm., we don't  seem to have much in common, as I'm older, lived at the scruffy end and left in 1971, but if you ever fancy a polite, gentlemanly and respectful discussion of political issues, pop into the Politics thread... :rolleyes:..

• Like 1
On 1/22/2022 at 5:21 PM, Stuart1964 said:

. I had 2 different retail shops on Mansfield Rd

Hi Stuart, age doesn't quite fit unless you aged quick...would they be Hairdressers shop's?

Sherwood end?

Vocalist and Harmonica player

A White Ford Transit with a cooker and a bed?

Really old Marshall P.A?

I Think I have the wrong chap but a short  2-4 year difference..

Thanks for smiles..

On 1/22/2022 at 5:21 PM, Stuart1964 said:

I have a fairly sharp memory so hope to be useful too.

Hi again Stuart, check out the 70-80's nightclub threads on here, seems  they lost there 'following'  a few years ago..

General question, does Facebook take the majority of this input now? Not that i will be joining... 

3 hours ago, HSR said:

Hi again Stuart, check out the 70-80's nightclub threads on here, seems  they lost there 'following'  a few years ago..

General question, does Facebook take the majority of this input now? Not that i will be joining... 

Never was a nightclub fan. Not sure what you mean about facebook. There is an old Nottingham group which I am a member of and it is popular.

There are many Old Nottingham groups on Facebook and I post in several of them.

There are also groups on specific subjects such as certain areas (eg. a Clifton group, a West Bridgford group, a Bulwell group, etc ) and topics such as Architecture, or Music, or Photos, within Nottingham. And most of the groups are Private so can't be viewed unless you are a member.

8 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

There are many Old Nottingham groups on Facebook and I post in several of them.

There are also groups on specific subjects such as certain areas (eg. a Clifton group, a West Bridgford group, a Bulwell group, etc ) and topics such as Architecture, or Music, or Photos, within Nottingham. And most of the groups are Private so can't be viewed unless you are a member.

There's also a couple of Facebook pages with many 1000s of followers that as far as I can see mysteriously disappeared . No idea why .

One was called "Pictures and Memories of Nottingham" and the other "Old Nottingham Pictures".

I know I contributed to both of those with some research and all gone with the press of a laptop key .