Not specifically computer I know but does anybody know anything about Google Chromecast? I know its a streaming device but are there any fees? Ultimately I am thinking of stopping TV licence so ultimately the TV will go. Presumably it will still work on a monitor.

I had one in its box for years. Never used it and ended up giving it away.

My understanding is it's just a local 'transmitter'. For sending signals around the home. Mine was just the audio version.

Not sure how a Chromecast would make a licence unnecessary. 

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/Live-TV-and-how-you-watch-it  

A TV Licence covers you to watch or record TV programmes live on any channel or TV service. This includes watching TV live online. A TV Licence also covers you to download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use, including:

• TV sets (including smart TVs)
  • DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders
  • Laptops and desktop computers
  • Tablets, mobile phones and other portable devices
  • Digital boxes or PVRs (such as Sky, Virgin Media or BT TV)
  • Games consoles
  • Media streaming devices (such as Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Now TV)
  • Freeview, Freesat or YouView

On 1/26/2022 at 3:39 PM, The Pianoman said:

Not specifically computer I know but does anybody know anything about Google Chromecast? I know its a streaming device but are there any fees? Ultimately I am thinking of stopping TV licence so ultimately the TV will go. Presumably it will still work on a monitor.

Or just use your TV to watch DVDs, no license required for that, gone are the days when a license was needed just to OWN a TV set, not anymore. Retailers have no legal obligation to request name & address details from TV purchasers either.

4 hours ago, catfan said:

Or just use your TV to watch DVDs, no license required for that, gone are the days when a license was needed just to OWN a TV set, not anymore. Retailers have no legal obligation to request name & address details from TV purchasers either.

This is what I am coming to really. It is difficult to get the proper info on this even online. So far as I can make out you only need a licence, to watch any BBC Channels including BBC iplayer and to watch any other programs broadcast by any other company if you are watching them at the time they are broadcast.