Manning Street, St Ann's

I have been asked about Manning Street, by a lady called Shirley, in comments on a blog post I wrote about the bombing of Nottingham in WWII. I wonder if anyone can provide more information (I know Manning St has been mentioned a bit in the past, so I'm sure someone knows more)?

I have to moderate comments on the blog, so it's probably more useful to add any info in this thread, and I can then provide a link.

Thanks all,

Jerry

My Maternal Grandmother and her family lived at number 57 Manning Street, according to the 1891 Census.

I assume the street was named after the same family who produced Alderman Manning. He lent his name to The Manning School where I suffered for several years. In my book, the name Manning lives in infamy!

A glance at Street view shows that the area has been totally redeveloped and none of the original housing survives.

Thanks Jill, you've prompted a couple of thoughts:

• This is a link to the page with Manning Street in Wright's Directory of around 1910. This shows that house numbers started from Woodborough Road and that Manning Grove (gone) was at 20 Manning St & so on. Numbers from 55 to 95 were between Rosslyn Street & Whitehead Street. My guess would be that the greengrocer at 55 was a corner shop at the junction of Manning Street & Rosslyn Street, so quite likely your Grandmother lived next door.
  • The NLS maps (and also those on Nottingham Insight Mapping) show this area quite well, albeit without house numbers, but I think from the directory information we know the house numbers in that section.

Of course it's all gone (IIRC I went in what I suspect was the Pride of Erin around 1979-80 & there was still a bit of the old St Ann's spirit still there). The photographer who published a book of photos of the last few years of St Ann's also had relatives on Manning Street (dont have the link to hand, will post it later).

I think this is enough to go on for my correspondent.

My Maternal Grandmother was born in 1889 in a house on Preston Terrace, off Bunbury Street in The Meadows.

By 1891, the family had moved to 57 Manning Street but by 1893, when the next child was born, they were living at Liddington Street in Basford. My great grandparents remained in this area for the rest of their lives.

My grandmother would not have remembered living in Manning Street and, even if she had, since she died ten years before I was born, I could not have asked her about it. It would be nice to see a photo of Manning Street as it was in those days. Very few of the houses where she lived have survived.

Welcome  SK53 to Nottstalgia looking forward to your post's. I am a St Ann's girl born and bred,  when we married in 1965 we rented 105 Manning st. if you look at Manning St  on Kelly's Director it is not a true record. it shows/says from what I can see most of the houses address's were on the side streets. eg Whithead St, Rosslyn St, Manning grove, Trevitt St, and so on.  The real Manning St went Wooborough Rd straight down to Whithead St this was like a T juntion,  to the right was Abbottsford St to the left was Dame Agnes St.  You can see more detail in St Ann's pre demolition facebook page map of Abbottsford St. from the bottom of Manning st straight across was a General store which was on Trevitt St  owned by Mr Mrs Scott, I was at school with their daughter. going up Manning st we lived on the right there was about 10/12 houses at no 100 Manning St was my friends Stan and Dora Mellors we were at 105 and next to us were Mr Mrs Bowdens. our names are not on the page as we had not moved in when they were printed. After our section of house's there was Whitehead St on the corner was a butcher Sids and on the other corner was a off licence,  down on Whithead St there was a public house, going the other way across Manning st you ended uo on Dame Agnes St CO_OP was on the corner.  Any more info just ask.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

No, I wasn't. What a great project.

Glad to see that the map confirms what I worked out from the stuff I knew was available on-line (position of the house numbers). The aerial photo is very interesting, as is the directory entry (I think the City Library & Bromley House both have these directories, but current circumstances mean I wont be in either for a while).

@mary1947:  I think the directory listing might be a bit confusing: the street names are crossing streets and should have their own entries of addresses elsewhere (like this one for Manning Grove). Also it goes up the odds side and back down the evens.

As a kid I never had any real contact with the old St Ann's, no-one from there went to Mundella, whereas, because there were lots from Sneinton, The Meadows, Hyson Green as well as Lenton & Radford, I got to know those places well. It wasn't until 1979 when a friend moved into a new-build council flat on Woodborough Road (since demolished) that I knew anyone living there

I didn't know the old St Ann's at all until around 1967/8 I was appearing in Under Milk Wood at a little theatre in the area. Somewhere back on this forum, CT found a photo of it.  My mum took me every night for a week and I remember walking over a covered bridge which I think was next to the Victoria station clock Tower and then we emerged into an area that reminded me of Dickens: children running around barefoot, dilapidated buildings, cobbled streets. The theatre was in this area. None of it exists now but it is a vivid memory.

That's it, CT!  It's an abiding memory because I'd never been anywhere like that before. I had read a fair amount of Dickens, though. It almost seemed that his words had come to life and I half expected to see Chevy Slyme or Montague Tigg emerge from behind a brick wall.

Too much imagination.... that's my trouble!

If I had known at the time that my great grandparents had once lived at 57 Manning Street I should undoubtedly have pestered my mother to take me there so that I could see it.  Not only do I have too much imagination, I'm too bl**day nosey as well!

9 hours ago, SK53 said:

No, I wasn't. What a great project.

Glad to see that the map confirms what I worked out from the stuff I knew was available on-line (position of the house numbers). The aerial photo is very interesting, as is the directory entry (I think the City Library & Bromley House both have these directories, but current circumstances mean I wont be in either for a while).

@mary1947:  I think the directory listing might be a bit confusing: the street names are crossing streets and should have their own entries of addresses elsewhere (like this one for Manning Grove). Also it goes up the odds side and back down the evens.

As a kid I never had any real contact with the old St Ann's, no-one from there went to Mundella, whereas, because there were lots from Sneinton, The Meadows, Hyson Green as well as Lenton & Radford, I got to know those places well. It wasn't until 1979 when a friend moved into a new-build council flat on Woodborough Road (since demolished) that I knew anyone living there

Hi SK53 don't tar us all with the same brush please my "two cousin's both went to Mundella they ended up teaching one taught at a school in Bulwell and his sister  taught at Carlton le Willows. they lived on Rose St St Ann's so even though we were brought up and lived in St Ann's it doe's not mean we were useless. My brother also invented a new type of radio for the air craft called the Vaulcan (see an old evening post) I ended up owning 2 Hair and beauty Salons then took my 730 teaching certificate to teach at a local collage.  As a child you had no  choice where you lived but it did not stop you from aiming higer.  

8 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I didn't know the old St Ann's at all until around 1967/8 I was appearing in Under Milk Wood at a little theatre in the area. Somewhere back on this forum, CT found a photo of it.  My mum took me every night for a week and I remember walking over a covered bridge which I think was next to the Victoria station clock Tower and then we emerged into an area that reminded me of Dickens: children running around barefoot, dilapidated buildings, cobbled streets. The theatre was in this area. None of it exists now but it is a vivid memory.

Jill all my life up St Anns  Never , ever did i see any of the children without shoes. I think a lot of this comes from people who write books about St Ann's.  Any thing to sell a book.

I'm very sorry Jill but i can-not remember any body saying or seeing kids witj bare feet, but I can remember women every Saturday morning sweeping there front door steps and scubing the steps. Sitting on the frist floor window sill and cleaning there windows, round the back women giving there toilet a good scrub. If a person passed away a collection would take place from the whole rd or st. Neighbours would baby sit all ages of children. if mum went out to work. Saturday night at the pub but kids were never left alone. When a new born baby came along all the women would help the midwife while the men went to wet the babys head, Nieighbours were like no other we were a community like no other. We would allways look after each other born 1947 left 1970 2nd part to be pulled down.

Just a little story when we moved into Manning St just married Nottingham University were doing a study of St Ann's two stundents ask if the could come in and ask a few questions.  Q1 do you have a washer A yes Q2 do you have a tv A Yes Q3 Do you have a cooker A yes Q4 do you have hot water A yes. Q6 do you  have coal fire or gas fire, A both 

I had answerd Yes to all qustion's.

Student Oh!!! you must be rich why are you living is St Ann's 

you can still get a copy of this report but don't look for my name in it as we were rich.

• 4 months later...

I remember Dame agnes street mary, used to walk up it every day going to school at st augustines catholic school 1967 , i lived on rushworth avenue just of leicester street.