Some hold the knife like a pen, but most hold them as you describe. But who cares? and who decided what is the correct etiquette?

Anyway surely the hold changes depending on what is being eaten.

We too decided that it depended on what was being eaten. There are certain social conventions on eating though and I wondered how they developed. Our cats refuse to use their cutlery!

My Scottish friend, who was a GP, ate his peas from off his knife. Is this a custom North of the border?

I occasionally forget i have ''Essential Tremor'' in my left hand..........and whatever is on the Fork tends to fly thru the air'' with the greatest of Ease............and a drink goes anywhere.........lol

He must have had a steady hand, or took a long time to finish dinner. One thing I don't do is combine food on the fork i.e. a bit of potato, some peas etc.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

We were discussing over breakfast today the correct way to hold a knife and a fork. Etiquette says that they should both be held with the index finger on top of the handle. Does everyone here do this? 

Oh! of course we always use our cutlery this way. I wouldn't dare not to!

Cake forks are what people give you for wedding presents. You then pass them on at the next wedding you attend. We used to gets lots of sets of Waterford Crystal over the years from our Irish subsidiary as Christmas gifts. Them came in very handy to pass on as wedding and anniversary presents!

1 hour ago, Brew said:

He must have had a steady hand, or took a long time to finish dinner. One thing I don't do is combine food on the fork i.e. a bit of potato, some peas etc.

He did practice minor surgery at the QMC. The skill must have been useful.

Don't get me going on how the Americans use cutlery...

I had to spend a few weeks in Cleveland OH working with an IT team there a few years ago, absolute nightmare watching them cut the food up!

Oh yeah, we do use a cake fork here, dead posh now...

I’m embarrassed watching our youngest son eat.  He’s a well-educated lad and was taught and encouraged by us to use cutlery in the proper manner.  Since leaving home 20+ years ago he’s been married (briefly)  to an American girl and also spent more time overseas, particularly the Caribbean and Africa, than he’s been in this country.  I’d love to comment on the way he shovels his food in using his fork the wrong way round, but at 42 years of age I think he might tell me where to get off!

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 7:42 PM, philmayfield said:

We were discussing over breakfast today the correct way to hold a knife and a fork. Etiquette says that they should both be held with the index finger on top of the handle. Does everyone here do this? 

Does one apply the same etiquette when eating beans on toast ???