I'm sure there used to be a pub on the South side of the toll Bridge, I believe it may have been called the Wheatsheaf, but of course I may be wrong, it may have been summat else. Is it still there or did it lose out to the tram route.  B.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a child in the early to mid 50's, I lived on Wilford Road at my Grandparents House (Hickling family) --  Number 230)   right outside the Trolleybus Terminus and fascinated by the Vernons / Littlewo

Hi Mary just seen this regarding the ice cream van,take it you mean the one at the bottom of Queens Drive across from the pub,I was friends of the Bartorelli's who lived on Kirkewhite St east and the

My first job after leaving school in October 1966 was as Laboratory Technician at Roland Green School in Wilford. I would catch the 43 into town from Radford Rd then walk across the square to cat

Posted Images

Remember The Ferry Inn well have spent many a summer night outside with my pop!! (i think it was a Shippos house) use to call in when knee high to a grass-hopper after going down embankment, 

Hi Dodie well done 61 years I am catching you up, have been to quite a lot of wedding at  St Wilfreds as all my dad's side was from the meadow's

19 hours ago, mary1947 said:

The 44 and the 43 were at the Trent Bridge End. The 40 47 were at the Wilford Road end or it was just the no 40  as going the other way each ended with it's own venue. 

Ah! yes. A 40 or 47 to Wilford. How could I have forgotten that?

Something else I am trying to remember is that although we caught the 43 or 44 from the Alma or Bank bus stop on Alfreton Rd, think we then had to change in Slab Square?

Yes PP., you would alight the 43 adjacent to where the slab square toilets were and then walk over to South parade, where Macfisheries was to catch the Wilford trolly. As a matter of interest, the no.44 Colwick Road didn't go into the market square. It's route from Alfreton Road was, Derby Road, - Parliament Street- past Central Market- then up past Victoria baths/Sneinton Market and on to Manvers Street (I think) then Colwick Road.   B.

My first job after leaving school in October 1966 was as Laboratory Technician at Roland Green School in Wilford.

I would catch the 43 into town from Radford Rd then walk across the square to catch the No 40 out to Wilford. The trolleys had all been retired by Autumn 1966. Occasionally the 40 was stopped at the traffic lights at the end of South Parade and I would hop on the open platform of the old motor bus.

At the Wilford Bridge terminus I would walk over the toll bridge. IIRC the pedestrian toll was 1d but I never paid it and was never asked to. I remember the little white toll booth in the middle of the road.

On the other side were green fields on both sides of the road leading down to Coronation Avenue on the left and The Ferry Inn (Shipstones back then) on the right.

In the 1950s The Ferry Inn was owned by Notts County's legendary goalkeeper Albert Iremonger

• Like 2

I don't know if the Ferry Inn is suitable for a meet up but it is handy for the trams.

I would love to have a look at Iremongers pond again. I still remember a big tench breaking my line there when I was about 10. I remember the very spot where I used to fish,

• Like 1

In similarality to Mess's morning excursion I also travelled from Nuthall Road on the 1, 7 or 22 services to Hanley Street: then down to the Market Square for the number 40 trolley bus to Wilford Road which stopped by Exchange Walk stop.

On one occaision I just happened to catch a number 40, jumping onto the platform as it was moving off.

I believe the driver saw my jumping on attemt and as I grabbed the vertical rail, he accelerated rapidly as only a trolley bus can with their electric power. I was dragged along the road hanging on to the rail as I feared letting go of it would have ended by me hitting the road surface face down at about 30mph. I was only supported by the toes of my boots which fortunately were steel toe capped. 

The driver slowed on approaching the traffic lights and I managed to get back on. I hindsight I sould have made a complaint concerning the incident to NCT but thought I was equally in the wrong.

To reach the handle to turn the rear destination blind, it was customary for the conductor to go halfway up the stairs, then with one foot on the stair and the other (right) foot on the handrail you could reach the handle and change the destination blind. I once did this at Wilford end and when I stepped out I trod on a passenger's hand,who was following me up the stairs !! He apologised to me for getting in my way . :Shock: