• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a child in the early to mid 50's, I lived on Wilford Road at my Grandparents House (Hickling family) --  Number 230)   right outside the Trolleybus Terminus and fascinated by the Vernons / Littlewo

Hi Mary just seen this regarding the ice cream van,take it you mean the one at the bottom of Queens Drive across from the pub,I was friends of the Bartorelli's who lived on Kirkewhite St east and the

My first job after leaving school in October 1966 was as Laboratory Technician at Roland Green School in Wilford. I would catch the 43 into town from Radford Rd then walk across the square to cat

Posted Images

Hi

The first Terrace/Street from the bottom of Wilford road was Headon Terrace. My grandma/granddad used to live at number 4. Later after they passed away my aunt/uncle lived there. Going over to the embankment was an ice cream van Salaries! I think (can any one remember this ice cream van) there was a pub on the corner called The Cremorn my bother had his 21st their also at the same time it was grandma/granddads golden wedding. Going back to school days my father went to Bosworth St school can any one remember it?

Mary1947

Hi Mary just seen this regarding the ice cream van,take it you mean the one at the bottom of Queens Drive across from the pub,I was friends of the Bartorelli's who lived on Kirkewhite St east and the chap who had the van was their uncle so we often got a free ice cream when we went by on the way to the embankment, can still see him now setting the (waffer holder?) to the small setting(3d) a little lever that altered the thickness of the ice cream.Cannot for the life of me remember his name but the ice cream was great.....

• Upvote 3
  • 2 months later...

After crossing 1/2 half penny bridge the first pub was The Ferry spent many a weekend in there when young, always felt silly as when we crossed the bridge my dad always told the keeper that he had paid coming the other way. They must have lost a few quid as I can't remember my dad ever paying.

Can any one remember Fairham Brook where was it situated ?

Sorry about spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Michael interesting reading spent many Sunday afternoons at fairham- brook having a picnic.

• Upvote 1

Can any one remember Fairham Brook where was it situated ?

I don't know if this might ring any bells with you, but this was a bridge over Fairham Brook at the point where it joined the Trent. The bridge was demolished by the time Clifton Estate was built, but it seems to have been a well-known landmark in its time.

fairham_zpszsiccxu6.jpg

• Upvote 1

When I was a kid in the early 50's , dad would take me with my little net and jam jar near to the meeting of the brook and the Trent.

He called ot Wilford Stream. I'm assuming it's the same one.

• 4 months later...
On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 1:03 AM, alisoncc said:

Weekends, when every paper weighed a ton

I think thats a slight exaggeration a newspaper weighing a ton!

On Friday, March 28, 2008 at 0:07 PM, keith k said:

great days and good people.you could leave your door unlocked.

That's cause you had now't to pinch?

• 2 months later...

I used to live at 26 Kinglake st for a while, my mum Then Beryl Prophet lived at burnaby terrace on Kinglake st with her 2 sisters Brenda and Ann, mum bett and Dad Tom, untill she got married she used to go to the school at the top of the street Queens drive end. I remember  a shop near the top Queens drive end and half way down opposite where we lived was another shop I remember the owner being a quite sharp lady. I also remember the a couple if family's the Horan's and friends of my mum and sisters the Brooks. Does anyone have any memories?

Welcome to this site Peter,I've just got back home from a quick visit to the Meadows,if I had read your post before hand I would have got some photo's of the area you mention,I am over there again in a couple of week so will get some for you then,there's plenty of members on here from that area or have connections or memories of it so someone will be along soon with plenty of info for you

Rog

• Upvote 1

Welcome Peter. The school was Welbeck and there is a thread on Kinglake St, one of our members lived at the shop you mention, although she hadn't posted for some months.

Kinglake St was demolished and replaced by the new housing, Kinglake Place.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/14387-kinglake-street/#comment-391253

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

As a child in the early to mid 50's, I lived on Wilford Road at my Grandparents House (Hickling family) --  Number 230)   right outside the Trolleybus Terminus and fascinated by the Vernons / Littlewoods Pools adverts on the side.  My other set of Grandparents lived next door at Number 228, just along from Headon Terrace??

At the time of the Coronation, I remember being invited with some family members, to a House on Headon Terrace where we went to watch the Ceremony on the only TV that I knew about in that area.... Very small screen and grainy pictures, which seemed like 'magic' at the time as there were no comparisons. 

Can't remember the name of the family there but seem to recall there was someone named Pamela!

Can recall the Cobbled stones on Colliery Road and the corner shop down there that had a ‘jangly’ bell and my Granddad coming home from Clifton Pit still with his Miners head lamp and very dirty Face.

The very large Advertising Boards on Wilford Road, which I could just about see from my Bedroom window…..The double sided  large red postbox at the Terminus ….

Other recollections of the Road are, the Site of an old Fairground opposite my house,and the Bus Clock at the Terminus  ….  Small Steam Engines crossing in front of the Embankment Gates from the Great Central Line en route to Clifton Pit …  The rather scary statue of Colonel Clifton just through the Embankment Gates, …..  The Police Box near to the entrance of the same Gates  (Dr. Who style)   ….  The overhead travelling Crane on the Railway sidings, which was visible from our top floor window  ….,  Chimney Sweeps brushes sticking out of Grandma's Chimney after it had caught fire. ....Hearing  in the middle of the night Trains rattling over the Bridge, just down from the Toll Bridge also, The Imperial Cinema, a little further down the Road ....

Mr Reckless, the milkman, delivering to most of the houses and also Morleys Coal Merchants who delivered bags to our Coalhouse at the rear which was approached via Headon Terrace... and down a very narrow alleyway and through the backyard gate.( I was told to count the bags that had been ordered to make sure the correct delivery was made)

Grandad had an allotment over the Toll Bridge and had rather hazardous trips to the Plot riding in his

wooden \Wheelbarrow.

I spent a lot of time recording the Bus numbers by peering over the yellow and green privet hedge in the front garden and on one occasion was set the task of 'Timing' how long it took the Trolleybus to complete the return journey to and from Wells Road / Ransome Road  .... Numbers 40 / 47? .... No idea now what the result of that exercise was.

Used to walk to Kings Meadow Road to go to the Barbers  (Think it was called  'Henry's) and being fascinated by the nodding Guinness Toucan on the shelf and whilst waiting for my traditional ‘short back & sides recall Tanks rumbling by on way to the Gun Factory.

At this time I attended the Welbeck School, which was at the top of Queens Walk, a tree lined Avenue, passing the Police Station on the corner of Kirk White Stree, also an expanse of grass area surrounded by very rusty iron railings,  which may have been used for Bowls. The school building, I believe, is still there, but now used as offices.

• Upvote 5

That's a great post Malc45. I remember a lot of the things you mention even though I never lived in the Meadows. We lived at Clifton and the bus into Nottingham went along Queen's Drive and past the junction you refer to.

4 hours ago, malc45 said:

As a child in the early to mid 50's, I lived on Wilford Road at my Grandparents House (Hickling family) --  Number 230)   right outside the Trolleybus Terminus and fascinated by the Vernons / Littlewoods Pools adverts on the side.  My other set of Grandparents lived next door at Number 228, just along from Headon Terrace??

Those houses might be in one of these photos ?

MQt0AOG.jpg?2

4 hours ago, malc45 said:

….  Small Steam Engines crossing in front of the Embankment Gates from the Great Central Line en route to Clifton Pit …  

Before my time, but I remember the indications that it had been there.

GiQLBj4.jpg

• Upvote 1

And you might have already seen this old thread https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12896-wilford-toll-bridge-area/  which covers the same area; and includes a reference from another Nottstalgian who also has a connection with Headon Terrace.

Unfortunately, the thread has several photos missing due to the Photobucket problem, but there's still enough there to be worth reading.

I remember going to the trolley bus terminus to get change for the electricity meter. The conductors would change a shilling for twelve of the old pennies that the meter took.

I wonder how much electricity you'd get for an old penny nowadays.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Post #45

Hi Malc45 welcome to the mad house n/n just read your post and as I mentioned in another post my grand parents lived on Headon Terrace then when they passed away my aunt and uncle lived there, they also had a daughter called Pamela. now her father was Scottish and their surname was Sharp. As there were not many house in the terrace you must mean my cousin Pam, what a small world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 7:43 AM, dave martin said:

I lived at Saunby grove, off wilford road, just up from the terminus, next to the Black cat café. At the bottom of the grove was an alley where people dumped there rubbish, it was called dogs alley.

Dave, my wife Pat Corden lived at #7, when I ask if she remembers you,she said we met you in a pub a few years ago.  Fredd, Yorktown, VA