I've never been on the big wheel since, or anything else for that matter. I once took loads of change to spend rather than notes, but after being unexpectedly tossed upside down on some horrendous contraption or other, and losing the bleddy lot, I've not bothered.

I'd rather spend it on something like the London Eye, or the Spinnaker Tower at Portsmouth. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

Welcome Isaac. You might try and contact the local fairground entrepreneur, James Mellors. He'll be around somewhere, and although much maligned at times, he's an amicable chap. Best of luck.

3 hours ago, Isaac Johnson said:

Hey guys, I'm doing a short radio package on Goose Fair for a piece of uni coursework. Does anyone know of somebody that has helped set up the fair this year that might be up for meeting and having a quick chat? Cheers

I used to have contact with one of the fair families but sadly they've died out. There was a Berridge school girl, Teressa Wesseldine who married into the fair and still stands a candy floss stall there. Don't know her married name though. If I were you either contact Jame Mellors as Fly suggests or just wing it and ask around. They're general great people, very proud of their heritage and will likely be happy to help.

• Like 1
On 04/10/2017 at 1:55 PM, FLY2 said:

Ha, ha, TBI. That definitely reminds me of a time in my late teens, when a crowd of tanked up teenagers attended the fair. 

I queued for the Cyclone, and rushed forwards before the machine has stopped, and was hit in the chest by one of the groups of cars coming round from the other side. Other than being winded , I suffered no other damage, other than looking foolish in front of dozens of people. Also, I'd never been on the Big Wheel previously, but went on with my mates. Nothing to it I thought, standing up and leaning against the bar. Years later, I took my eldest daughter on in broad daylight when stone cold sober, and I was terrified.

Priceless FLY2. I did pretty much the same thing on the Waltzers in my teens. It would have been about 1969. There were gasps and screams from the onlookers who were convinced I was trying to top myself. It wasn't so much a case of Dutch courage more a case of Home Ales from the Grosvenor. Happy days

• Upvote 1

Mine was something purveyed by The Vernon  if I remember correctly .

Just getting psyched up now ready for a 6pm large intake of junk food 

This could be the first time in history I've got no plans to visit Goose Fair, thought about it, we don't go on anything, we don't eat anything off the fair, wouldn't dare, I do enjoy bumping into people I've not seen for years & always enjoy a few pints before the stroll home, we'll see? Must be getting owd?   

• Like 1

Ok, but far too much rapping and jigga, jigga racket. No rides, but had mushy peas for starter, sweet & sour chicken and rice. Then a bag of doughnuts, and a bag of sickly mixed fudge. Then a pint on the way home.

Aching feet, but all in all, a good evening ! 

Yep, can't be too reckless at my age. Although I was disappointed that there wasn't a cockle and whelk stall. Probably H & S put a stop to those. Only one pint too, as I couldn't be caught out if I had to wait ages for a bus !

• Like 1

Rapping is a so called type of music favoured by the great unwashed, uneducated, and easily led repulsive younger generations. 

Jigga, jigga is my derogatory term for reggae as that played by Bob Marley and his cohorts. It does nothing for me !

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Ok, but far too much rapping and jigga, jigga racket. No rides, but had mushy peas for starter, sweet & sour chicken and rice. Then a bag of doughnuts, and a bag of sickly mixed fudge. Then a pint on the way home.

Aching feet, but all in all, a good evening ! 

Your guts must be made of leather FLY !

After reading that I feel quite ill.

• Upvote 1

Just for you Mike, I took notice of the types of wagons on show. Plenty of ERF's, Foden's and one Atkinson, but the highlight of the evening was a beautiful green, cream and gold Foden owned by that old favourite, Pat Collins Amusements of Bloxwich, West Midlands.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Jigga, jigga is my derogatory term for reggae as that played by Bob Marley and his cohorts. It does nothing for me !

You live and learn! I thought jiggers were some sort of parasite type burrowing fleas to be found in tropical climes!  :blink:

• Upvote 1

Talking of fairground wagons, what will happen in years to come when all these wagons need replacing ? With what, after the sad decline of the british truck industry all what is available is this european produced junk of today, please don't say Scania, total junk. Mercedes etc full of computers, walk past one & cough it will throw up an error code straight away. They are not built to last.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1