• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

We’re only a 15 minute walk to Goose Fair and generally go down there for a little walk around but rarely spend any money, other than the side shows.  Last year our son came up for it and our 9 year old (at the time) granddaughter went on a few rides with her Daddy but we’re too fragile for that malarkey now!  10 days is far too long and despite criticism and comments that the showmen are being greedy, I bet the City Council are expecting big returns to help the disastrous deficit in their budget.   

GOSH!!!! 

Goose Fair what memories?

age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you lot say it did not open till Thursday?

Well we did not want to go on the fair rides. No we were just going to see if there were any nice boys around. 

As time went on, I met the master (not at Goose Fair) and when we set date for our wedding we choose Goose Fair Saturday and Forest kick off time 3 00.  Now watch this space to/be/cont.

Friday night before wedding day  

Well all relatives  from Surrey nicely clocked in  we thought after wetting our throats we would take a trip down to the Fair, 

WELL!!! 

There was about 14 of us and all decided to go on the cakewalk.

Big Big mistake  ??

Aunt Pem who was first and who weigh in at approx 14st fell at the first fence, but after we had all had a drink we just could not stop laughing. In the end tears steaming down our faces and most ladies with wet pants, the ride was stopped so we could get off.  

The fun did not stop there ??? Next  The Big Wheel i sat with my new to be sister in law . when the wheel stopped for folk to get off our seat at the top 

Then my sister in law just said Oh!!! I don't feel well.... then it happened, the poor man who was working  the wheel was covered  yes you know with  what!!!! 

Never ever have I felt so ??? the following year I gave Goose Fair a miss.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi Togg its the master's  realtive's who come from the south.

Are any of these places know to you?

Gomshall   Share

Godalming

Working

Guilford

Pirbright 

This is were the family are, at one time the Gomshall WM Club was run by master's cousin 

4 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Did you see ben there mary looking for some nice girls?.

Sorry Ben's a bit out of my league.

Sorry Ben 

4 hours ago, trogg said:

Hi Mary I was born a few miles from Woking , a place called Knaphill and I recall all those other names. My older brother later was at Pirbright Barracks. 

We lived 3 miles from Woking, the other direction. West Byfleet. We shopped in Woking and Guildford. We were in Woodham last year, rented a place, went into Woking and didn't recognise it. Pretty much all pedestrianised now.

11 hours ago, trogg said:

Hi Mary I was born a few miles from Woking , a place called Knaphill and I recall all those other names. My older brother later was at Pirbright Barracks. 

Small world ?   Did you ever go into Gomshall village club or Shere? If so was the steward Jim Forester and the stewardess name Joan?

I think your pulling my leg trogg?? most boys I know started drinking 14+   but you ,must have been ago a good boy.  Only kidding 

5 hours ago, mary1947 said:

most boys I know started drinking 14+ 

Drinking at 14, no way. Even though I was very tall and not often questioned about my age, my paper round could not afford the bus fares into town and the cost of the beer.  Could not go into the pub in my village as everyone knew who you were. I was having the odd pint or two at 16 when I was an apprentice and had a bit more money.

Which  apprenticeship did you do OZ ? 

I also did an  apprenticeship in hairdressing  at the time we were paid peanuts. We hoped clients would give us a tip to see us though the week. Then that nasty Tax man use to take these tips as part of our wages.

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

Which  apprenticeship did you do OZ ? 

I did a toolmaking apprenticeship Mary. Before anyone asks, no we did not make chisels and hammers. We made plastic injection mould tools, diecasting tools, metal stamping tools and dies, gauges and jigs and fixtures.

As a first year apprentice I took home the princely sum of 4 pounds, three shillings and eleven pence. Surely it would have been easier to pay four pounds four bob? The extra penny must have gone to the tax man, barsteward.

I used to proudly say that "We make the things that make the things"

• Like 1

Talking of engineering tools, I once went to a delivery to a place in Coalville, ( cannot recall the name). I was told that the Americans sent over to them, what they said was the smallest drill bit in the world...The firm took the drill bit and drilled a hole through it and sent it back !

There used to be a tale told about a glass tube from the US claimed to be the smallest in the world., also a hypodermic needle.

It was supposedly returned to the Americans with a tube inside their tube.

Probably just an urban legend

Hi OZ   Talking of wages I started as an apprentice Hairdresser 1959/60 Wages first year was £1 - 9/6  went home paid £1-00 board 4/6 was for bus fare and 5 shillings 5/- spending  money

2/6 ice skating with a bottle of coke 2/- to go into the ice stadium

Tuesday evening teen-bop-night at Locarno  1/3  

Grand total of 3/9d what was left was pure gold

Hairdressing wages were governed by A Wages Council you has \ pay rise every year. In your 4th year you were an improver then after  5 years you were qualified and your wages  

(Wait for it??)      A grand payment of £5 00

My wages increased every year too. When I finished my apprenticeship in 1970 after four years I was paid the astonishing amount of 1 pound an hour, 40 quid a week!

As a third year apprentice I was doing almost everything a tradesman could do but on pay that was only half their rates.