It's one of those weird coincidences that I have been in Nott'm for Goose fair for one reason or another for the last 8 years, (for no apparent reason!!)

This year I am coming over for my big sisters wedding reception, (She has just remarried out in Kenya, be a bugger if I get there and a 7 foot Masai warrior is there to greet me , "Hello brother Bwana" !!)

I can't remember why I was there last year, but we met up for a drink in the Poacher !!

I took SWMBO a few years ago and have promised to take the kids one year, but as has been mentioned 'It's not what it was in my youth'

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

'Ere Beefsteak, Masai warriors are very short, thats why they jump up and down a lot, could be a good picture of you and the bridegroom together and don't try to out jump him, my son lived out in the N'gormo with a Masai tribe for a month, he's 6ft 3 and they still outjumped him. Watch out for the sacrificial goat at the ceremony, or do you like fresh warm blood and kidneys!!!

Sorry, Goose Fair, from what you say Fynger, it doesn't sound very much like the good old days, not surprising is it.

Remember the real steam boats thats used to constantly chuff from a central steam powered chimney and shake the soot stained, striped canvas roof, the gallopers powered by a real showmans traction engine.

In the 50's and 60's the power was provided by some amazing old WW2 trucks, it was worth wandering around in daylight to see some of these gems, Scammells, AEC's even the odd Diamond T. Some of the showmans living quarters were converted pre war buses, many of them former NTC examples.

I recall me and my mate wandering around the parking area when we were about 12, admiring the showmans vehicles and caravans and being invited inside one by a couple of similar aged showmans daughters. They were so up front that we couldn't believe it, the caravan was stunning and we were very envious of their lives. Unfortunately their dad arrived and he was a bit of a funny bu99er, an interesting experience though, I've never forgot it.

used to live opposite the showman's winter quarters so been in a few of the vans, the original ones called wagons as (so I was told) the wheelbase same as railways and rail wheels could be fitted. Funny thing re RTA applying to showmen, no maximum working hours when driving and "odd" towing regulations, wagon and drag plus a caravan, hot dog stall, off road bikes, kiddy ride, mobile shower unit, dance hall and portakabin towed behind! (ok so I lied about some, but you get the idea)

When I were a kid the goose fair always started on the Thursday of the first full week in October it seems now it starts in September and runs for 4 days instead of 3, A mate of mine worked on the fairs and he once told me that they made their ground rent and other expenses in the first 2 hours of the fair opening after that it was all profit, no doubt the tax man doesn't see all of his fair share either. And the only goose I have ever seen there was that plastic excuse in the middle of the traffic island on Mansfield road.

Rog

Used to be the week with the first Thursday of October in it, so could start the 1st or up to the 8th, (going on OFFICIAL start Thursday 12noon) even though they now open on the Wed which makes a farce of the whole thing! Such is progress

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Trouble with Goose Fair pictures...If they aren't of a specific ride,or the picture isn't huge, there's no way to show a stranger what an impressive event is taking place.A 6x8 just doesn't do it justice.

I know I've posted my memories of Goose Fair , as I had a wee tear in my eye when I finished reminising about going with my Dad as a nipper.

i really miss not being able to walk all the way round the fair when i have a bit more time i will tell you my memories and my friends who worked on the fair on various side stalls and rides.

Remember taking my twin daughters aged 5, in 1988 for a final look at the fair before we emigrated. Went on several rides and had the usual candyfloss and other goodies, then we got to the Helterskelter and they beggered me to take em on it.

Anyway it was pretty busy but we queued all the way up the wooden stairs slowly and finally got to the top level, as we reached it Danielle suddenly said "daddy I feel sick" ! "and don't want to go down anymore" I grabbed her and started to get her sister, Natalie on the slide on a mat, and Danielle turned and puked all down the stairs ! all over everyone that was queuing up them !

I grabbed her quick and jumped on the slide before the chaos started ! by the time we reached the bottom she was giggling as though nothing had happened.

We got out of there pretty quick.

• 2 weeks later...

When a young lad I went into a sideshow to see "The Bullet Riddled Body of Jesse James", This was a skeletal figure of a man. a loincloth round his middle laying on a raised display table, around him were cards with arrows supposedly pointing to what it was stated to be bullet holes. It wasn't until sometime much later I read of Jesse James and his death to find that he had been shot only once. There used to be lots of con tricks on Goose Fair at one time. One thing that they got rid of which was a good thing were freak shows, that used to exibit animals such as calves with two heads, lambs with five legs etc.Bearded ladies,dwarves and tattood people were also common, but I wouldn't think anyone would pay nowadays to see a heavily tattood person when one can see them by the dozen walking around town.

Dennis

:biggrin: What a Super Goose Fair it was this time around - thoroughly modern; anticipating this years already.

PS: Looking forward to my tub of hot peas; those I had last year were delicious - tasted like hot peas should. :biggrin: