• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

Bin a few years since I could get into a pair of trousers with a 28 waist..... 36 these days.

Can't remember what it's like to have a waist! Since having a baby I can't get rid of my muffin top.. went on slimming world and dropped from a size 12 to an 8.. but lately I can't help myself at all, far too much cake and biccies with me cuppa tea! And the muffin top is back....

No - rain's cheating. Proper Goose Fair weather is dry (either sunny or overcast) but with a bit of a nip in the air, and just a touch of mist. I always thought that THE time to be there was from dusk until darkness. Anybody for the cakewalk?

I too always thought as described above was goose fair weather.

Same weather applies for bonfire night, with a touch of misty type rain thrown into the mix.

The 'Dive Bomber' was a killer.

Especially if you were passing... coins would fall out of peoples pockets.

The old penny came keen on the back of your head!

I have some slides taken at GF around 1977.

Just been down the fair, the dive bomber is there, 55 METRES high and 83 mph, and no i didn't.

Thank you Jackson,

I am so used to seeing our stretched Coca Cola bottle just sitting on a shelf out of sight, that it was a pleasure to have a reason to bring it out of hibernation. We believe we have had it for around 35yrs, not bad really, considering the amount of things we break annually. :huh: I see that bottle every day and it is a constant little reminder of my roots and the fun i have had in days gone by at the'Goose Fair'. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Typical! Apparently we were due heavy rain all day today. So we cancelled our plans to go to the fair deciding to go early on Saturday..

Woken up, checked met office again and oh, no rain!!

But at least the toddler and man child got a lay in. They haven't slept past 7am in I don't know how long!

Just decided, Spur of the moment to come to Nottingham for Goose Fair, If it is still throwing it down with rain (as it is here in W-ton) we will do a detour at Derby and have a ride round the beautiful countryside. So hopefully in a couple of hours i will be munching...Mushy Peas, Burgers, Brandy Snaps and anything else that looks and smells good.Whooooooppeeeeee :) :)

Don't forget whelks and doughnuts.

When I wor a littl'un, Friday afternoon was Children's tme, and Dad used to have a day off work and take me in the afternoon, I seem to recall all the children's rides were 3d a go. This would have been 1950 - 53.

An' summat else... Saturday afternoon in the same era, used to get taken by Great aunt and Uncle along with my elder brother. We used to get one of the NCT Goose Fair buses from the Square, spend the afternoon at the Fair, then on to a toyshop further along Gregory Boulevard (Bostocks?) for a Fairing, then the luxury of a Streamline taxi back to Comyn Street, where Mum and Gran had laid on a Fair Tea for us all.

Magic childhood memories are Goose Fair !

• Upvote 2

Mam would take me with her, when I was a kid, so she'd have someone to ride on the waltzers with! [whether I liked them or not] After the fair we'd go to her brother and sister-in-law's chippy in Forest Fields for supper.

Hi everyone,

We have just arrived back in W-ton. We had around 2hrs at the fair from midday and the sun shone most of the time, so how lucky was that! We were near Wollaton on the way home when the rain started. I had forgotten just how fast some of those rides were and how loud the music was, Has anyone had a go on the Star Flyer,(i think that is the name), i imagine the riders felt as if they were on parachutes they were so high in the sky.

I made a few inquiries as to what happened to the original seller and maker of the famous cock on a stick, and this is what i was told.

The original owner decided to retire. He sold his business and equipment but not his recipe.The new owners could not master the making of the rock cockerels and they ended up as just a squiggle on a stick and the sales diminished so much that they closed down. The last time i saw the originals, there were three sizes and the more you paid, the more detail there was on them, must have been in the 1980s. This information was given to me by a stall holder, it sounds reasonable to me, sad that a tradition most of us older ones remember has gone.

• Upvote 1