LEYLAND, ALBION, FODEN, SCAMMELL, ERF, GUY. The backbone of the British transport industry for the best part of the 20th century.

When the Russians built the Awsan dam in Africa, their own manufactured wagons were inferior to ours. They used Leylands, but removed all badges etc, and anything appertaining to Leyland.

I cringe at some of the crap around today. Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi, Daf, Renault , Iveco, Mata ! All from recycled bean cans !

I hated some of the vehicles where I worked in the late 90's. Mitsubishi wagon engine blew up after only two years. Mazda van needed new drive shafts after only 48k miles. Utter rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

Jill, you're not far off the mark with your last comment !

Savannah....... Love to live there. Brilliant name too.

I've only been there once.  Nice place though. Close to the coast.  Lots of historical old houses and good restaurants.  It is a harbor city though with some of the problems that can bring.  Potential for hurricanes, though they have been lucky the last few years. 

6 hours ago, FLY2 said:

had mushy peas for starter, sweet & sour chicken and rice. Then a bag of doughnuts, and a bag of sickly mixed fudge.

My Gran would have said "You'll be shitting over nine hedges" well I think she said something like that?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My late hero, Gregg Allman lived there until his untimely death last May.

Cripes ! This big bag of pick 'n' mix fudge is taking some getting through. It did cost me £11 though ! Yummy !

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

LEYLAND, ALBION, FODEN, SCAMMELL, ERF, GUY.

Go a long way to beat a Gardner 180

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Superb ! A long walk in Clumber Park this morning after breakfast. Coffee and scone there. Fudge this afternoon after digging out one of my compost bins in readiness for potting my new dwarf daffodil bulbs. Sawn up an old rotting bird house, then lit the chiminea. 

Been in as its raining, and got a beer. Pizza with my own toppings tonight..... Burp !

• Upvote 1

Not quite the 'high life ' I had in mind when leaving FFGS at 16 Jill. I fancied being a playboy. Got my MG at 19, but that's as far as it got. My visions of a life of luxury rapidly plummeted ! 

• Upvote 1

Had plenty of jigga's in me time ................... tie them on the end of the line, throw them over the side and .....................lift em up and down as bait for sea fish.............................. and there were you thinking I was going to be naughty.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm afraid Catfan that being 'built to last ' is partly the reason for the decline of so many British companies. Too many like Leyland, Foden, Norton, Herbert Morris, Raleigh etc. sat on their laurels and thought 'johnny foreigner' never made things that would last.

Meanwhile the competition were catching up and rapidly passing them. I drove Atkinson Borderers with Gardner engines. They were slow, noisy and had brutal suspension. At the end of the day I was kn****d.They gave me a Volvo F86 demonstrator and had to get me out of the cab with a crowbar before I would let them have it back, brilliant machine in it's day. The same story goes for machine tools, motorbikes, cars and any number of British produced products.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Brew,you are quite right about "resting on their laurals",especially where Raleigh was concerned,I had a brief spell there in the mid 90's and a keen mountain bike fan,one day a supervisor called us all in the office to look at this "new frame they had developed" what a load of rubbish,the American frame builders had built one about three years previous and out of much lighter materials, it didn't go down too well when I mentioned this in the meeting

Rog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brew said:

I'm afraid Catfan that being 'built to last ' is partly the reason for the decline of so many British companies. Too many like Leyland, Foden, Norton, Herbert Morris, Raleigh etc. sat on their laurels and thought 'johnny foreigner' never made things that would last.

Meanwhile the competition were catching up and rapidly passing them. I drove Atkinson Borderers with Gardner engines. They were slow, noisy and had brutal suspension. At the end of the day I was kn****d.They gave me a Volvo F86 demonstrator and had to get me out of the cab with a crowbar before I would let them have it back, brilliant machine in it's day. The same story goes for machine tools, motorbikes, cars and any number of British produced products.

I couldn't agree more, arrogance was the word..

Driver comfort never entered the equation.

• Like 1

The new van I have just taken delivery off has every conceivable accessory going it like driving a very good car. I was only remarking to my lad "I can remember when the only accessory you got with a van was a lump of ........ rag to stuff in the hole round the gear stick."

• 1 month later...

I remember there always used to be a small fair on Wilford Rd during the sixties. Can't remember whether it was the week before or after Goose Fair. It was held on land by the railway lines, opposite side of the road to the Castle Inn. 

• 2 months later...