• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

Cheers Oz. If you get withdrawal symptoms, I can send you a CD called ,' Un Journee le Disneyland'. That will restore your faith. It's got all sorts of music from different rides.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this is correct but need we add GOOSE FAIR RIP to our page?

It has long been a Nottingham tradition Goose Fair, due to covidn it was canceld last year and if it is right this year the council wanted to charge people to go on to the forest. The showman said no!! 

Is this another nail in our coffin for Nottingham?

Goose Fair has been around since 1284 and in 1870 steam driven roundabouts were added. People used to come from all over GB to our Goose Fair.

Things that i remember about our Goose Fair.

Where I lived I could walk to the Fair i remember walking down the long road where each slde of the road were stalls. My uncle Jim would always give my self and bother 10/- bob to spend.

Next Before the fair opened and in my teens, my friends Wendy Brenda and myself would always wonder down to see what boys were around.

Next being a little older would spun round and around on the waltzers.

Next Friday Night HEN PARTY DOWN GOOSE FAIR  went on the cakewalk all (20) people had wet pants next big wheel opps some one fees ill too-much drink oh! dear poor man at the bottom, as we were in the seats top of the wheel and it had stopped.

Next Married Goose Fair Saturday.

Next never being to the opening of Goose fair, so with my first born in the parm set off Thursday morning.

I'm the Mayor who open's this Fair for three days and three days only.

Went to live inSouth Arfica last visit went to Goose Fair before leaving GB shores.

Arrived home UK after 5 years 

yes visied Goose fair,

Will it ever be the same again?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The Council were concerned about footfall (COVID rates were still a bit raised) and wanted to count us in and count us out.  Their proposal was to erect a fence around the site with a few entry/exit gates.  The charge would have been to cover the cost of all that.  Additionally, they wanted to keep the COVID vaccination hub running so they were offering the showmen's guild a reduced plot.  The showmen declined as it was deemed not sufficiently profitable with reduced space and reduced patronage.

I think we can be reasonably confident the fair will be fully restored next year.

That sounds like a lame excuse quite frankly, if they succeed I have little doubt the entrance fee will become a permanent feature, increased year on year and treated as another revenue stream for a council in dire financial straits.

• Like 1

I'm sure the council would like to charge for entry to the fair. It would also mean they'd have to put substantial fencing all around the site, and then have security staff to make sure no-one tried to climb over or break it down.

There would be massive extra costs involved in paying for entry - almost a self-perpetuating circle; they'd have to increase the admission charge to pay for policing the admission charge.

• Like 2

As most people seem to pay for everything instantly by card, and don’t carry cash, they would need to have card readers at each entrance.  Or would it only be a tiny amount to pay?

Hull fair, possibly bigger than Goose fair, is free entry and has both cash and card payments for the rides. Paying cash though may be quicker and simpler in a busy environment like Good fair.

After our Goose Fair, all the showmen,roungabouts ect used to go on to Hull. So yes you are right Brew Hull is a bigger fair than Nottm.

12 hours ago, Brew said:

Paying cash though may be quicker and simpler in a busy environment like Good fair.

I disagree, surely a quick tap of a contactless card, watch or phone would be far safer & easier & the showmen will love it, with none of their employees handling any cash, this years Ilkeston fair was rammed everyone was using contactless, I paid my poppy seller yesterday with a swift tap, I've not seen or used any cash for over 2 years. 

There will be no charges to enter next years Goose Fair & no R.I.P. @mary1947 the idea was a means to control the numbers entering due to covid.      

Not having been to the fair for almost half a century I accept what you say RR about payment. The story about crowd control I don't believe especially as Covid passports weren't even a 'thing' when  fencing off the fair was first mooted.

We took a wander down to the Fair about 4 years ago, it’s only a 15 minute walk for us.   Went on the Big Wheel and took in the sights, sounds and smells and it was ok.  Fairs don’t hold much attraction for us since taking the kids to Disney a few times 30+ years ago, they know how to do it over there.  

Yes LizzieM I to have been to Disney, but I think the point I was trying to get across , WAS that Goose Fair is a Nottingham tradition, and since we are  all members of a site called Nottstalgia  I did not expect a lot of negative replyes

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've read that it is now four days. Perhaps someone can confirm that or otherwise.

It was certainly Thursday, Friday, and Saturday when I was young. We lived on Noel Street, very close to the Forest, so we were well aware of the fair.

Welcome Perroist to nottstalgia.

Yes Goose Fair used to open Thursday lunch time and used to be open by the mayor, who would say ""I am the Mayor who open's this fair, for 3 days , and 3 days only,"  

when they stated to open for longer i think it still doe's open first Thusday in October but it now open for nearly a week. Then Covid came along also I think that the council (if I remembr) wanted to almost charge the stall holders about 3 times what they were paying  So last year NO FAIR not sure if its gone for good just another nail. knocked in for Nottingham.

I hope this year it will return, allthough I see you live in Aus if you came back for a visit I'm sure you would not reconise much that goes on now at the fair.  The side shows all gone, cakewalk gone Wall of Death gone and more, but it is stlii on the Forest. If any of this post is wrong some member will tell me.