Things that pee you off...

Agree totally with you Woody. My missus said she hoped they never needed one. I disagreed, I said I hoped they did need one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of 'em a female?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Yes, one of them did appear to be female. In the current trend of equality both would be punished identically in my book. In fact they can count themselves lucky they are not related to me as what the authorities might do to them would be nothing to what I would do.

• 3 months later...

Bloody woman in a Chelsea tractor, in front of me in the petrol queue. When she got to the pump she put £12.00 in for a "topup ".

It does seem to run well! Super diesel has extra additives which clean the engine components and shift carbon deposits. I've never used it before but it is recommended every thousand or so miles I've just read. We're good for 450 miles now. We don't go that far on our holidays!

I use an additive to the off road diesel I use in my tractors, super low sulphur diesel doesn't have enough lubrication for the fuel injector pump on older engines.

It's important with diesel engined vehicles to keep the fuel tank as full as possible due to moisture condensing in the tank. Not sure if cars have water traps in the fuel lines, but tractors do. If I don't keep the tanks full, I eventually end up emptying the traps a couple of times a week, diesel engines are very high compression and a couple of teaspoons of water can cause a con rod failure. Water doesn't compress very easily and when that piston hits water, either the con rods bend or they go through the cylinder head. Saw a few bent con rods on underground diesel engines caused by water in the fuel.

Plastic fuel tanks have greatly reduced condensation problems with diesel here and fuel filters take care of the rest

I ran a company car on premium fuel some years ago until they told me not to, the difference in consumption was zero and the car (Mondeo) had the same performance.

I notice they have stopped advertising increased MPG and now claim premium fuel cleans engines as you drive, sounds like a load of....

I religiously only fuel at dedicated fuel stations as opposed to supermarkets for the fuel quality. During my time in the motor trade I saw more than my fair share of cars recovered in with cross contaminated fuel from supermarkets. Sadly with all the panic I've had to resort to the supermarket fuel but beggars can't be choosers at the minute!

• Like 1

Most petrol here has ethylene in it, it causes damage to components from the tank to the injectors.

Both plastic and rubber components get damaged by that additive, and it also causes carbon build up on the piston heads. I use premium, ethylene free fuel in my truck even though it's designed for a variety of ethylene mixes. I learned my lessons with chain saws and line feed cutters. The extra cost per gallon in the truck is far better than the cost of damage.

Two of my diesel tractors have plastic tanks and I can assure you they are just as bad for condensate as metal tanks, If I don't keep them almost full, I have to drop the water trap every few hours.

Just remember your fuel filter DOES NOT filter water!! In fact if your engine starts running rough, check the filter before it disintegrates on you, they are only designed to filter dirt and are made of paper. Once they start breaking up due to water, you will need to have the injector assembly stripped and cleaned, not a cheap job either.

Old petrol tractors used to have a water trap between the tank and  the carby, why cars never had one defies explanation.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:13 PM, MelissaJKelly said:

I religiously only fuel at dedicated fuel stations as opposed to supermarkets for the fuel quality.

I think you might be wrong with that thinking Melissa, all the major filling stations, including supermarkets, sell top quality fuel.   The supermarkets chop and change with their suppliers, obviously looking for the best deal, but I know for a fact that BP are one of those suppliers.  A good friend of ours is a retired Senior Executive at BP and I’ve just been talking to him this evening about the current issues.  

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I think you might be wrong with that thinking Melissa, all the major filling stations, including supermarkets, sell top quality fuel.   The supermarkets chop and change with their suppliers, obviously looking for the best deal, but I know for a fact that BP are one of those suppliers.  A good friend of ours is a retired Senior Executive at BP and I’ve just been talking to him this evening about the current issues.  

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/tesco-compensates-drivers-after-accidently-24792083

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/24/dozens-of-cars-break-down-after-tesco-petrol-station-put-water-in-diesel-supply-7975076/

Tesco compensates drivers after accidently filling up cars with diesel mixed with water

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

why cars never had one defies explanation.

Perhaps Ayeup because they don't need them, I've run diesel car and trucks now for 20 years and never had any problems with water in the fuel and I don't fill up until near empty. Perhaps it's a different environment where you are.

I've found more water in aviation fuel than anything else.

I've known several tanker drivers in the past and they all filled from the same gantry at Colwick, like the old Redex at garages premium fuel had an additive added as the tanker was filled, don't know if that still happens. But I'm reasonably sure supermarkets fuel in the same as anywhere else. They just sell way too much of it for problems of poor quality not to have shown up by now.

I can't remember the last time I bought petrol from anywhere other than a supermarket. It's literally many many years ago, and I've never had any problems with what was in the tank.

I refuse to pay the higher prices for 'real' petrol from non-supermarkets. My car - at least - can't tell the difference.

Another point to consider is that these days there is much less choice in where you can buy fuel. Back in the 70s/80s there were far more petrol stations to choose from; supermarkets were in a minority.

There's even a thread about it. https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/8263-disappearing-petrol-stations/?

Wow I never knew the prices where higher in "Real Petrol Stations" I've only ever gone to Sainsburys & fill it up when the light on the dash tells me to, until I can get no more in, I sometimes chose the premium fuel in me ST rocket if I'm off to the coast & I don't mind mixing it with the staff @philmayfield in the kiosk, they all seem good people & enjoy the interaction, must be a boring job?  

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...