Things that pee you off...

When I see an empty bottle  of wine 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

See people are complaining about Tesco and Sainsburys opening on Boxing day. If  nobody wanted to go shopping on Boxing day there would be no need or reason for them to be open . Don't criticise the beast when you are the ones feeding it.

• Like 3

Give them two or one days off it would still be either unpaid or off the holiday allocation, M&S used to sing about how they used shut on most public holidays, the low end worker where still found work to do out the back, no day off the oiks, I was hoping to find a few supermarkets, Next, Boots etc burnt to the ground Boxing Day morning by disgruntled workers, please consider before liking @woody post. 

It's the same every year at this time... We get this constant barrage on every channel, to adopt this or that animal, donate to water, save whatever, sponsor a child,dog, cat, tiger etc. Always the same... for just a few pounds a month. A FEW POUNDS no less. If we donated or sponsored every one, we'd be paying hundreds a month. I know one can choose, but it's this persistent pressure that pees me off.

Not having a tv, I wouldn't know but I support the wildlife in my garden: birds, foxes, hedgehogs, squirrels and visiting moggies. That costs a fair bit in food all year round but I'll wager I get more pleasure out of watching them enjoy it than they do in eating it. Therefore, my motivation in doing so is quite selfish, really.

• Like 3

We do similarly by having a meadow of around 4 acres. No spraying, no artificial fertilisers. A haven for insects and wild flowers. It is mown yearly to prevent the grass matting and the hay goes to feed cattle. As most land round here is farmed or used for horses, traditional meadows are a rarity.

Fair do's, I agree with the sentiments of both of you. You're both doing your bit to animal welfare. It's just the constant guilt trip the media push on you that gets to me. They all say the same, like the drought in Ethiopia or the famine in Yemen. These things have been going on for years and it never seems to get better. Nothing seems to improve, no matter how much money you throw at it.

• Like 2

I agree wholeheartedly with the last sentence, which is why I happily donate to those with reasonable salary scales, Sally Army for instance/.

Edit:

Thought about tax and pensions, I didn't realise once we retired we stopped using public facilities.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Beekay said:

These things have been going on for years and it never seems to get better. Nothing seems to improve, no matter how much money you throw at it.

It could be the "throwing money at it" is actually causing problems and making everything worse. The interfering busy-bodies at some charities are going in to a situation without fully understanding the details and background of a scenario.

We can all find our excuses and we can all blame Governments, the victims or whoever. (Anyone but ourselves)

But while we exercise our minds to the business of absolving ourselves, people suffer and die.   Of course we should not need  'charity'.. but patently, we do.

Can we sit back and blame our Government.. without taking the opportunity to vote them out?

These are all choices which are in our hands.

So, we either ignore the needy and the disadvantaged, or we do something about them.  This is not about sentiment, it is about the practical running of a Society in which everyone is  provided with a chance.

In Stave One of A Christmas Carol (December 1843) charity collectors approach Scrooge:

"At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge," said the gentleman, taking up a pen, "it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and Destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."

"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.

"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"

"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."

"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?" said Scrooge. [Stave 1: 50-51]

Later, the Spirit of Christmas Present mocks Scrooge's former insensitivity by hurling his own words back at him as he regards the appalling children of humanity, Ignorance and Want:

They were a boy and girl. Yellow, meagre, ragged, scowling, wolfish; but prostrate, too, in their humility. Where graceful youth should have filled their features out, and touched them with its freshest tints, a stale and shrivelled hand, like that of age, had pinched and twisted them, and pulled them into shreds. Where angels might have sat enthroned devils lurked, and glared out menacing. No change, no degradation, no perversion of humanity, in any grade, through all the mysteries of wonderful creation, has monsters half so horrible and dread.

Scrooge started back, appalled. Having them shown to him in this way, he tried to say they were fine children, but the words choked themselves, rather than be parties to a lie of such enormous magnitude.

“Spirit! are they yours?” Scrooge could say no more.

“They are Man's,” said the Spirit, looking down upon them. “And they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree; but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!” cried the Spirit, stretching out its hand towards the city. “Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse! And bide the end!”

“Have they no refuge or resource?” cried Scrooge.

“Are there no prisons?” said the Spirit, turning on him for the last time with his own words. “Are there no workhouses?”

The bell struck twelve. [Stave 3: 108-109]

None of us can shift the resonsibility.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

This is not about sentiment, it is about the practical running of a Society in which everyone is  provided with a chance.

Well said. Whether it is Christian charity, or an Atheist's pragmatism, the truth is that to help others helps ourselves. Vaccinate the world, and the world will stop coming back with more variants. Give help to people who have been unfortunate in their choice of birth, and they will climb up to join the rest of us in helping out, instead of needing help.

A happy, moderately healthy and hopeful New Year to you all.

• Like 4

See some low life has defaced a memorial to Captain Tom by painting IRA on it. High time these idiots were taught a sharp lesson in respect, if that means being taken up a dark alley to explain it to them so be it. There will no doubt be objectors to this treatment but it is because of their softly softly approach that these scumbags get no more than a slap on the wrist for their crimes to society.

I really do wonder what the next generation will dream up. We live in a society here where everyone is a winner. Not just first place gets a trophy, but all the team get one for participating.  What is this teaching them? They are in for a big shock when they join the workforce. I was talking to a lady the other day. She said her son-in-law was a school teacher. He had a pupil in a class while the lesson was ongoing, who would not put her phone away. After asking her 3 times, he sent her to the principal.  The outcome was a parent-teacher conference with the headmaster in attendance.  The parents explained that their daughter does not like to be told no! The headmaster asked the teacher to apologise to the pupil! He retired as soon as he could.

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...