Things that pee you off...

My father and an enthusiastic application of a razor strop quite convinced me that any objections I may have had to an instruction were best kept to myself…

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

On 12/29/2021 at 9:50 AM, oldphil said:

Vaccinate the world, and the world will stop coming back with more variants.

If only that were true...

@katyjay

When I was teaching, I grew weary of parental requests to: "Can you tell him to....". everything from put his coat on, go to bed when asked to, eat his greens, have a bath and even....sleep in his own bed instead of theirs!  I ask you.

"He won't take any notice of me," was the lame complaint.

I always refused. If you have children, you're responsible for them and if they ignore your requests/ refuse to do as they are bid or are rude to you, you're doing something wrong.

Brew's comment reminded me of what happened on the rare occasions when I became obstreperous or answered back as a child.  I was taken into the kitchen where, hanging on a hook, was grandad's leather razor strop (grandad shaved with a cutthroat razor).  Nothing was said but my mother simply pointed at it.

Years later, I recalled one of these occasions and she laughed, saying that she would never have used it but my imagination persuaded me to toe the line.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Brew said:

If only that were true...

I not getting into whether vaccinating the World will stop variants, but it would certainly stop an  awful lot of deaths.

Vaccination is dirt cheap compared to the alternative of treating those infected who become very ill.

• Like 1

As for getting kids to behave..  Actually, we try to get them to do what we want them to do..which isn't quite the same thing, because we flatter ourselves that we know what is 'right'....and of course we don't always. So, each generation slightly redefines 'acceptable behaviour', and 'morality', although the basics, remain largely unchanged.

I learned from my Grandfather that a beating isn't the answer.  His approach was to simply ask me to consider the consequences of my actions, both for me, and for others affected.. He never raised his voice and his approach was devastatingly effective.

Of course, when I was younger and less susceptible to reason, I certainly got yelled at, and occasionally slapped around the back of the legs, but  only ever from my parent's frustration.. never in a pre-meditated way.  Mostly, I was  kept in order by the use of non violent sanctions, such as loss of 'priveleges'.  Also, somewhere along the way, I got to understand the concept of shame, which is a massive deterrent against wrongdoing.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, woody said:

See some low life has defaced a memorial to Captain Tom by painting IRA on it. High time these idiots were taught a sharp lesson in respect, if that means being taken up a dark alley to explain it to them so be it.

Whilst I can't actually condone violence..

When I worked in a Youth Club in the Haydock area of St Helens, a lad who was too old to actually be a member, often hung around near the entrance. He was quite possibly the most unpleasant character I have ever met, and would take offence to anything anyone said to him, including entirely innocent greetings, such as  'Hello'. He was also a coward, who could never back up his aggression.

Anyway..it transpired that he was responsible for driving up and down Haydock Village and throwing eggs at people, including kids and old people...

One night, as he sat in one of the local pubs, he was 'invited', by several Gentlemen, to join them at the back of the pub for a 'discussion'.   By all accounts, he returned a few minutes later, as white as a sheet, but visibly unharmed.  Word was that thereafter, he never put a foot wrong in Haydock.

One can only assume that he was 'advised', to behave. ;)  I have no problem with that sort of community action, if properly employed.

And of course as well as its association with nearby Haydock Race course, Haydock was formerly a  mining village and  the site of a number of very bad underground accidents.   Wood Pit ,198 killed, Lyme Pit 1930. 45 killed, and earlier Queen Pit, 1869, where explosions a few months apart killed a total of 89.  Earlier accidents are also recorded.

DJ360,

I would go a little further than passive community action with selective Sharia type punishment for thugs, drug dealers, burgulary, theft and knife crime. We would soon see the result in improved behaviour.

Having been and lived in Saudi Arabia, Singapore etc, one could always walk safely at night as everyone with any criminal tendancies knew what expect for any 'non-compliance' with respect for others and the and for the law.

It used to be, if caught on the Monday they were topped or chopped on Friday. No fussy court human rights cards played out, just mean justice.

My mum was very good at giving a “clip around the ear hole”, never did us any harm. The worst thing was “You can tell your Dad what you have done when he comes home”, He very rarely shouted, spoke very quietly when he was angry, that was when you knew not to go any further.

However if you wanted anything the best time to ask him was after he had had his tea and was sat in his armchair smoking his pipe. Never ask for anything before he had eaten! 

• Like 2

The first piece of advice the head teacher gave me when I was an NQT was, "No one acquires the self discipline to achieve anything without first having discipline imposed on them."

That does not equate to beating the living daylights out of them nor whacking them round the head, nor picking them up and shaking them!

However, lamely whining, "Don't do that!" won't achieve anything. Once children know they've got the upper hand, it's rapidly down a slippery slope.  I have no children because I never wanted any. Too great a responsibility. I don't think I'd have been a very good parent but had I produced any offspring, they'd have been polite, well behaved and honest, or I'd have disowned them! ;)

• Like 1

I noticed that well known war criminal Tony Blair hot a knighthood in the queen's new year's Honours list. Just shows how corrupt the political system is in this country.

Shameful.

• Like 1

My new bathroom scales!  
Because we have smooth ceramic tiles in our bathroom,  the scales started slipping because the tiles were a bit damp from the steam.   I decided to put a very thin towel underneath them so they wouldn’t slip.  
I know I’ve been overindulging (food) over Christmas so I couldn’t understand why I was a stone lighter than before Christmas.  (Nice, though)

However, when the towel was removed, the horrible truth was revealed…. Several pounds GAINED over Christmas.

I’m not using them now for a couple of weeks till I get back to normal!

• Like 2

:situp:Sorry  Margie, but thats the story of my life. Welcome to the club. Joking but I know I've overindulged over Christmas before and since so today my new years resolution is "don't be greedy".

I was 59 kg when I came out of hospital a couple of years ago and felt fantastic. We had a long weekend in Sicily and I bought quite a lot of new clothes. Gradually my weight increased but very slowly, I gained a kg then lost it and that was how it went for a long while but then it went from bad to worse.Non of the clothes I bought fit me. This morning I weigh almost 64 kg. Not too much but before the end of January I have to get it down at least 2.1/2 kg. I have an exam and they already have my weight registered. An incentive ? Yes but have to put my mind into it. 

Good luck with your diet? 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, catfan said:

I noticed that well known war criminal Tony Blair hot a knighthood in the queen's new year's Honours list. Just shows how corrupt the political system is in this country.

Shameful.

Another couple got knighthoods for riding a bike!

Just publish your list of achievements that you've done to benefit mankind.

Have you invaded Iraq, can you ride a bicycle fast, can you swim, can you dive off the top board, have you starred in a spy film, have you donated to the Conservative party? All these things will help with your next year's application. If you haven't done any of these things, get off your backside and make a start!

• Like 4

Phil, your last post was funny and clever but most of all sadly true in my opinion (There  are a few exceptions though)

Phil, in answer to your list, I have invaded East Sussex, yes, I can ride a bike fast, (had to when I  were a butchers lad), used to dive off top board at Boolwool lido and Trent suspension bridge, starred in 'Saturday night and Sunday morning, (well an extra), was on the Executive committee of Nottingham Spastics Society and bought my missus a brand new tin opener !

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, catfan said:

Join the Masons BK, that should help.

They wouldn't let me in CF., because I were a carpenter. Also tried to be a pervert, but failed the medical. :Shock:

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...