Jean M Denham (nee Matthews) and Eric Arthur Denham, Willoughby St, Lenton, then Aspley

Hi Everyone.  I`ve just had a breakthrough in researching my family tree, and found my great grandmother, Nellie, living with Fred Gibson (also known as Fred Gibson Dale) at 14 Willoughby Street, Lenton.  Fred had a hardware shop at 16 Willoughby Street.  Nellie died in 1943 and is buried in Southern Cemetery.  Fred died in 1966 and was living at 6 Osmaston Street, New Lenton.  The informant on his death certificate was Jean Denham, of 462 Aspley Lane, Aspley.  Jean`s maiden name was Matthews and she married Eric Arthur Denham.  They died in 2002 and 2008.  I don`t know whether she was related to Fred, but she scattered his ashes in the garden of remembrance in the cemetery.  I should be most grateful if anyone knew Nellie and Fred, if they had any recollections of them, or of the shop, or photos.  Also the connection between Fred and Jean if there are any living relatives.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fred and Nellie Gibson, Willoughby Street, Lenton, and Jean M Denham Aspley Lane

Hi everyone  I joined to find out more info about my gt grandmother, Nellie, who married Fred Gibson, also known as Fred Gibson Dale.  They had a hardware shop in Willoughby Street, Lenton from the 1930s to 1966, when Fred retired.  Nellie died in 1943.  I think Eric and Jean Matthews took over the shop and remained friends with Fred.  Jean was the informant on Fred`s death certificate, and scattered his ashes in the garden of remembrance at the Southern Cemetery.  Lenton Local History Society have been amazing at providing more details about them.  I just wondered if anyone remembered them and had more information.  Thanks.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Jean M Denham (nee Matthews) and Eric Arthur Denham, Willoughby St, Lenton, then Aspley

This from an In Memoriam insert in the NEP from 26th March 1970 , seems to confirm they were friends rather than relatives.

GIBSON. - Fred. Late Willoughby Street
God gave us a friend with a heart of gold, how much we miss him can never be told, we speak his name and think of
him often. God bless you Fred, you are not forgotten. Jean, Eric and family.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much, DavidW, for finding that.  It`s good to know Fred was a lovely man.  I have been in touch with the Lenton Local History Society and they have found out quite a lot for me.  Jean and Eric had a greengrocer`s shop in Willoughby Street, next door to where Fred was living - I think it was his old hardware shop, which they appear to have taken over when Fred retired.  He lived there until a year before he died.  They had previously printed an article on Eric and Jean`s shop in Willoughby Street, which was interesting.  Wish I had some photos of Fred and Nellie, or some more information about their lives, hence my enquiry.  There should be an article in the Lenton Times later this year or early next year on what we have discovered.  I have sent for a copy of Fred`s will, so hopefully, there might be more information there.  Many thanks for that.  Bless you.  

• Like 3