Ukraine invasion...

Well done nonnaB. Where do you live in Italy? If we didn’t still have my 35 year old at home, we probably would have moved there years ago!

keep up the good work you.

• Like 1
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had a brilliant text.........my son Has left the Ukraine and is driving thru Poland...........I thank the good Lord...he had been in Ukraine since day one of the ''Invasion''              He

My Son......saying a 'Heart-breaking goodbye'' to two of his friends..somewhere in the Ukraine.........

Had Dinner with my son....who filled me in on a few of his activities in the Ukraine.....(.i'm sure not all though.).......so relieved to see him........      

Mrs B Thanks for the support.

We live in Castagnole  della Lanze near Asti in the Piedmont area. Near the mountains the sea is only an hour away. We live just outside the village and have vineyards all round us( not ours though) its peaceful.

Its never too late to move. We have moved here 3 times and now I wouldnt move again. My husband is Sicilian and has his family here. I only have nephews and cousins in UK but dont hear from them often so the pull to return doesn't exist. 

nonnaB. 

You sound to have my dream life, I very nearly went to live in Sorrento with an Italian but it just wasn’t to be. I have often thought of what my life would have been if it had happened, who knows? I wouldn’t have had my two great kids and caring husband that I have now though would I.

take care

Mrs B

• Like 1

Nice video  received this morning from my son in the Ukraine....he loves animals...and is sat with a lovely cat on his knee.....purring as he strokes it..........he wishes he could collect all the abandoned dogs and bring them to England.........

Had messages yesterday from other sons in Poland..Thailand..and Andorra.....busy lot arent they......

• Like 5

I applaud all those who are volunteering to help Ukrainians who have fled the war in their country. I am not in a position to help in that way but have donated what I can to help a bit.

Whilst not insinuating this will happen, I can remember when Doncaster volunteered to take in Kossavan refugees from the fighting there, housing them in what was once the barracks for the former RAF Finningley. They were warmly welcomed and donations were made to help them. We were told as soon as the war there was over they would all return. However actually none of them did, and there were quite a few, and they ended up being moved into council houses as they became vacant. This then caused quite a lot of resentment from Doncaster residents who felt they had been taken advantage of. There was an enclave down the road from me and it wasn’t good to be honest. 
I am not saying we shouldn’t help however we can and only time will tell what is going to happen as every situation can play out differently. I just hope the fighting will end quickly and am in awe of the Ukrainian resistance against a bigger assailant. Hopefully this will signal the end of Putin and just hope if that is so the “devil you know isn’t better than the one you don’t”.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

it..........he wishes he could collect all the abandoned dogs and bring them to England.........

I wish he could, too, Ben.  The war is not their fault. Wars are started by a cretinous type of animal whose presence on this planet serves no beneficial purpose whatever.

• Like 2

With new refugees arriving daily, I'm so pleased for them but yesterday there was a lorry or coach from Piemonte taking necessities into Poland for those refugees that had travelled there. The driver was taking back those that he could but was worried about false hope. Some dispicable specimens were taking women with children saying they were with safe travel but were dumping the women once out of the way and keeping the children. Doesnt bare thinking about but hope theres not too many doing it. 

5 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

can remember when Doncaster volunteered to take in Kossavan refugees

There was something similar in Eastwood back in the day with Hungarian refugees from the '56 revolution.

The NCB asked the Home Office for permission to recruit them to work in the mines. HMG, with an eye on the growing resentment towards Caribbean immigrants, agreed, purely because they were white. There was the usual government screw-up and accommodation for the sudden influx was not anticipated, so they were enclaved in an old army camp on the outskirts of Eastwood.

Away from the community, poor living conditions, not speaking English etc the resentment soon took hold on both sides and local rumour has it there was a mini race riot.

I hope those

. end of another long rant...............

I'm not sure quite what I expected a real war to look like. However the scenes from Ukraine of people going about their business with great palls of smoke from shattered buildings, tank traps in the streets etc. seems extraordinary. Almost surreal, but I supposed they still need supplies.

• Like 1

I’ve just been reading upl about the Holodomor in Ukraine in 1932 - 33.  This was when. Stalin ruled Russia .  Around 3.9 million Ukrainians died of starvation because of Stalin’s actions.

He resented the fact that Ukraine saw itself as different from Russia.  Amongst other things, Stalin wanted ‘collective farms’ and not small Independent farmers.
‘When will they ever learn …..’

• Like 1

I should have said Stalin was the leader of the Soviet Union, not Russia…. Sorry

• Like 2

Wonder what Putin is planning. Hes just announced that the war is going to come to an end 9th May. Should we believe him? I dont think so. 

He needs to save face. The end, if it happens, will be reported as a glorious victory achieved their objectives.

There will be lots of flag waving, parades, long speeches about how he showed the world he means business, and he has made Mother Russia safe from western threats,

The fact the Ukraine fought the best Russia has to a standstill is a minor point, and will not be mentioned in polite Moscow company.

Just had a brilliant text.........my son Has left the Ukraine and is driving thru Poland...........I thank the good Lord...he had been in Ukraine since day one of the ''Invasion''

He should be home by tomorrow night.......so proud of him.............

• Like 12
20 hours ago, Brew said:

He needs to save face. The end, if it happens, will be reported as a glorious victory achieved their objectives.

There will be lots of flag waving, parades, long speeches about how he showed the world he means business, and he has made Mother Russia safe from western threats,

The fact the Ukraine fought the best Russia has to a standstill is a minor point, and will not be mentioned in polite Moscow company.

He will be celebrating a passed conquest apparently.

That’s brilliant news Ben. I bet you are very relieved and it will be hugs all round when you get together again

• Like 1