Does anyone here know anything useful about Apple computers?  I am due for a replacement and I am fed up of Micros**t. Operating systems seem to have fancy names and I have no idea which is which or even which is current. I don't intend buying new for starters  - there are plenty of reasonably priced secondhand ones around that I can have a 'play' with first. Buy new later.

I moved from MS to Apple about 18months ago. Not sure if I know useful things but I have not looked back. Very good to have a Desktop, Laptop and Phone that can be configured to communicate comprehensively or partially. Initially I was a bit clunky with Pages (Word), Numbers (Excel) and Keynote ( Powerpoint)  but I am no longer a wage slave needing to use these for my work so I have enjoyed the messing about to find out how to make them do the things I need. For the most part they do everything I need and the Internet usually has the answer to a question. All a lot more dough but I have had no problems and have enjoyed not having to read the stuff coming from MS and/or Google. Like many things in life once you make the decision then give it your best and occasionally review how things are going.

I have owned an iMac since the early 2000s. The original reason for my choice was because I used to work in Graphic Design where I first encountered  and learned Apple.

I've never had any major problems with them. I agree they are more expensive than other brands, but in this instance I definitely think it's a case of you get what you pay for. They are better designed and better thought out, and less prone to problems and software glitches which should have been foreseen before being released to the public. I've used Windows PCs at work, and they're ok, but I just don't rate Microsoft at the same level.

And in case anyone thinks I'm an Apple groupie.....I don't have - and would not have - an iPhone because I think they are overpriced and overrated.

But their desktops are definitely better than any Windows equivalent.

As I've said previously I've used Macs ever since they came into the UK. I've used PC's so I do have a comparison. If you're a gamer then a PC is for you. I had mine for a flight simulator. If you want an easy life with something that works straight from the box then it has to be a Mac. They last much longer as well. I've just replaced my 10 year old iMac. It is still working but I wanted the latest model. They are more expensive but will outlast a PC and the updates are hassle free. 

Do Macs have a 'current' operating system? I have seen Catalina, Sierra and High Sierra to name three.

Don’t worry about the operating system. If it’s not on the current one it will upgrade as soon as you switch it on. All upgrades work seamlessly. Whilst PC users seem to struggle with upgrades there are none of those problems with Macs. When they become much older they are no longer upgradable but will still operate. When my existing iMac became ‘old’ I bought a Mac Mini. This is a Mac to which you can add your chosen monitor but will need a keyboard and a mouse. My Mini is running two monitors. 
If you enjoy playing with computers and like to do upgrades to sound, memory and general tinkering then buy a PC. If you just want something that works reliably then get a Mac. It comes with software for writing, presentations and spreadsheets and, should you wish, you can run Microsoft applications as well. Most people can manage with a simple IPad which you can get for around £320. It runs all the Mac applications and will connect wirelessly to an appropriate printer. A MacBook Air laptop is another alternative.

I agree that Apple computer’s seem more reliable than their pc counterparts. However you pay for this as they are expensive but do hold value. However if your budget doesn’t run to an Apple and alternative is to install Linux on your current computer. It doesn’t need a super fast new machine to run it and will happily work perfectly on modest hardware. It is basically a unix based operating system so is similar to Apple. I have been using Linux now for about 10 years. It’s reasonable simple to set up and you can do most of what you’re likely to want to do, internet, email, print, write, spread sheets etc. There are plenty of videos on YouTube or pm me and I’ll walk you through the pros and cons. Oh and bye the way. It’s free.

Google chrome is another alternative but I’ve no experience of it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, letsavagoo said:

Google chrome is another alternative but I’ve no experience of it.

As well as an iMac, I also have a Chromebook laptop; the opposite end of the spectrum. It's basic and simple, but that's deliberately why I got it. It's just for net-browsing.

Many people only use a fraction of a computer's capabilities. Browsing the internet and printing a few documents is all that is needed. Why bother buying something which is loaded up with gear you're never going to use.

• Like 1

From all the positive comments on the forum regarding Linux as the go-getter OS, I've just tried to install Linux on my lenovo PC. In control panel I ticked the recommended box (Windows subsystem for Linux), restarted and waited for some dramatic earth shattering event to happen. A new OS has not appeared. Nothing!

So can someone please explain what all the fuss is about with Linux instead of remaining with old Win 11?

It would seem there has been something of an error when installing Linux, (unusual), or someone wasn't paying attention when starting up. Most dual boot systems need to be told which system to boot into, with no response it will go to the default windows.  ;)

https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/

Well, I tried again by opening Command prompt and typed, as instructed <wsl --install>.

Nothing really changed apart from  Command prompt adding a load of text which meant nothing to me. The install menu said once done reboot. Nothing again.

So is it me or the PC (Win 11)?

Could be the PC, or it could be the install procedure.

When I wanted to put Ubuntu Linux on my (near twenty years old) Windows XP desktop, I downloaded the Linux installation file on a Windows 10 laptop and burned it to a DVD. I put the DVD into the drive on the desktop and powered the machine up. The PC then picked up the install files and ran them, giving me the choice of booting into either system. Once I’ve finished copying pictures, documents, music, etc, from Win to Linux, I’ll be deleting XP completely.

What is interesting is how well Linux copes with an old machine with only 4Gb memory.

Following the wsl method of installing Linux on Windows, not something I've done before so decided to give it a go, I can well understand the difficulties.

After the installation is successful, a user and password needs to configured. The problem here, and why I hate Linux, it's done through a command line interface. Once completed, Ubuntu can be started from the program list, but still working from a command line.

Now the trick is to install a graphical user interface (GUI) and a browser and a writer and... and ..............................

Alpha has the best solution...  :P

I’ve never had the slightest issue installing Linux. I use it exclusively so no windows at all just Linux. No idea what all this installing it on windows is about. If you want to keep windows then you can dual boot. At start up you have the choice to start Linux or windows which is a relatively easy process to install. I very rarely use the command prompt. I can’t recall the last time I did. Linux is far easier to install than windows.

Currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. Does the job perfectly well really and its happily sitting on my knee.

50 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

If you want to keep windows then you can dual boot

I described that earlier Lets, the WSL method is a whole new ball game and a otal pain in the you know where.

That's what I  use Pianoman. Mine is an 8" version. Even fits in me poaching Jacket pocket.

Letsavagoo,

Is this procedure for dual booting for Linux and Win 11 that you have used?

How to Dual-Boot Windows 11 & Ubuntu - YouTube

It's over 20 miniutes long and my eyes glazed over at the extent of complex downloading, CD copying and recommendations for backing up that is required during the set up process.

Give it a try and please let us know what you think.

I don’t have windows 11 nor do I want it which is as well as I don’t have a machine capable of running it. I have a number of laptops but they are all quite old. In fact only 2 are 64 bit the remainder very modest specs. Some of my laptops are very old kept really for interest. I do have one laptop running windows 10 but it is months since I used it. I have a desktop system the boots either windows 7 or Linux Mint. The last Microsoft operating system I used regularly was Xp. It’s been downhill since that was phased out. 

I use several different Linux systems depending on the capability of the machine to run it. 99% of what I do is on my iPad. I use Mx and Mint Linux regularly. Can you tell me what machine model you are using.

BREW.

Sorry but I missed you covering dual booting. 

Well Micros?$t sent an update overnight which I have duly installed. Computer is now running up to speed again. I suppose it will be OK for about a fortnight again when it will slow down almost to a standstill. I reckon Micros&$t are doing it deliberately to get everyone buying Windoze 11. I'm on Windoze 10. I shan't be going any further.