The problem with Windows is its versatility, it's both a blessing and a curse. With Apple adding bells and whistles is restricted to what they think you need, it's very much a case of take it or leave it.

Windows on the other hand have set themselves the impossible task of being all things to all men, the variations in setup, software and components must run into millions.

A basic Windows setup is fast and reliable, until we start adding programs and 'tweaking it' to perform the way we like it.

I seriously doubt the slow-down is due to Windows, it's far more likely to be third party software, compatibly or hardware issues. Try checking for programs running in the background that are not really necessary.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

In which way is Mint Linux easier to use, where Win 11 is not? I use a Lenovo lap top.

Properly setup, none at all, it just looks different, and you use it the same as you use Windows now

The other thing that may be slowing a PC down is anti-virus software.

While Linux and MacOS aren’t immune from malware, it’s very rare and the way both operating systems work makes it difficult for a virus to get into the machine.

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

In which way is Mint Linux easier to use, where Win 11 is not? I use a Lenovo lap top.

If I turn on the windows 10 laptop I have it takes anything between 3 and 5 minutes before I can use it sometimes if it’s updated itself then it’s unusable for an age. It’s slow to open pages etc. if I turn in my Mint laptop (an oldish Lenovo far inferior specifications to the windows 10 machine) then it’s up and running within a minute. I can choose to update when I want without fuss drama and a without a 2 hour wait. 

The last two (desktop) machines I built, mid range spec Ryzen 5 chips, boot to the desktop in less than 20 seconds from cold - both Windows 10.

A 3 to 5 min boot suggests the laptop has a problem or is simply out dated and no longer has the power required.

AVG, once my virus checker of choice, is now so full of bloatware I recommend dumping it.

There is no problem. Fresh install and it meets the minimum specs for window 10 but really struggles as it simply doesn’t have enough guts. I also think as I use it infrequently it always looks for updates and starts downloading without giving me the option. I’ve tried to get it to update when I choose to but has a mind of its own. Windows 10 seems to have lots of features I don’t need and want and puts games back on when I’ve deleted them. It’s just bloated. I see no point in having to buy a powerful machine so it can run an operating system. I’d sooner use the processor to do the work I want in an efficient manner.

Using my Lenovo laptop with Ryzen 3, Win 11. From pressing 'ON' to desktop took 26 seconds. This PC is not used for gaming and only general use and browsing. Perhaps I could possibly gain a few more seconds if I looked more deeply into reducing booting up time.

26 secs is not bad for that spec, is it really worth messing about with to gain a few moments more?... if it 'aint broke....

Mine seems to be back to how it was again. Took well over 5 mins to boot up. I don't suppose it is that up to date, but...........

Device name    Laptop
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz   2.40 GHz
Installed RAM    4.00 GB (3.89 GB usable)
Device ID    60511F3**************
Product ID    00326-100****************
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

5 mins sounds too long even for an i3, and 4 gigs is never going to be quick, but.

How does it compare now to when it was new, I would suggest it booted in around 60 secs or so.

• 5 months later...

What's so special about Macs?? I do hear if you're a graphic artist they produce better pictures and deeper colours,

Year back when we first got involved with PC's Macs were two to three times the cost of PC's.

Then as newer higher speed CPU's came on the market, yearly at first!! I started building my own, I could buy the parts I needed easily and build a computer at a third the cost of Branded products. Now it's cheaper to buy refurbished computers, 1 year warranty, almost the latest CPU's, even with one conventional HD and the newer solid state HD's for backup.

This one I'm on now is a refurbished, 8Gigs of ram, two large HD's.

Same here. Bought a refurbished machine. Still i3 processor, but more RAM and SSD HD with a SATA HD for storage. It s quite quick.

I found that out when I was looking for one, Mines a refurbished HP, which has their different architecture Mother Boards and P/s. Mine has an i5 Intel 3.2 Gig Ghz chip..