Yes could have Cliff ton..........i think the pitch and the stand were still being used into the 80s.....certainly played there in the 70s for Park Tavern united,......this has got me recalling all the local Miners Welfare teams,.we played against........Basford Hall,,,Kimberley,,Clifton,,Bestwood,,Cinderhill,,Calverton,,Blidworth,,,and probably many more,all had good teams in their day.

33 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

When at FFGS, we played rugby on playing fields just east of the field shown, and nearer to the railway viaduct next to Northern Baths. 

We accessed it somewhere near the middle of Bagnall Rd.

Could have been Grenwich Ave,where Basford United moved to after Mill st was built on..(and still do)........or further up Bagnall rd..where Basford miners welfare used to play,........nice little area 2 football pitches and a Cricket field........now all housing

I know it was not far from the viaduct Ben, and my attention often wandered from rugby to the trains !

In the 1950s my uncle used to play for a team called (I think) Packmount or Packamount.  I seem to recall being taken to watch a match somewhere in Basford.  Does anyone know where this team might have played?

I remember Packmount compo...........think their home ground was on the Embankment...........def not a Basford team........you probably saw them at Mill street playing Basford United............from memory they were a top team 50s and 60s

• Like 1
On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:16 AM, benjamin1945 said:

this has got me recalling all the local Miners Welfare teams,.we played against

As a fifteen year old I played against many colliery welfare teams and clearly remember the old leather balls that weighed a ton when wet. Many of the players were ex Third division North and South semi-pros' and could head it as hard as I could kick it. 

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
8 hours ago, Beekay said:

This is probably a bit off kilter but did Bulwell ever have a "Wakes"? I can remember Basford wakes on the field near Basford crossing, with entry on Lincoln Street I think. It also spilt over to the Shoulder of Mutton, Radford rd/Western blvd. (Not sure if they were at the same time).

I just wondered if Bulwell had a fair at sometimes.

Wakes you say? 30 replies from some sadly missed Nottingham historians, let’s hear your memories?  

Basford Wakes to me means walking down Lincoln Street and gradually the music becomes louder and louder. Then eventually reaching the Wakes and standing on the waltzer and looking at young ladies enjoying themselves with Johnny and the Hurricanes belting out Red River Rock and Reveille Rock. I wish I could relive those times.

PS Jill if the wife even thought I was even thinking about them days I would be spending nights in the spare bedroom. lol

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I can remember going to Basford Wakes (I thought it was called Basford Weights!) with a load of friends, Hilda, Margaret, Marlene, Janet and Linda (some good old fashioned names there).Music was Del Shannon Runaway and Runaround Sue, Chris Montez Lets Dance. Staying on the waltzer until we could hardly stand we were so dizzy and some vomited. Lots of giggling and eyeing up the lads both local and fair workershearteyesHappy days of a misspent youth!!!!!!

• Like 5

I have a feeling Ilkeston wakes was the week after Goose Fair,  but not all the rides etc went there, after all, G.F. was enormous on a large piece of land. So, what didn't go to Ilkeston, went to Basford?

7 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I can remember going to Basford Wakes (I thought it was called Basford Weights!) with a load of friends, Hilda, Margaret, Marlene, Janet and Linda (some good old fashioned names there).Music was Del Shannon Runaway and Runaround Sue, Chris Montez Lets Dance. Staying on the waltzer until we could hardly stand we were so dizzy and some vomited. Lots of giggling and eyeing up the lads both local and fair workershearteyesHappy days of a misspent youth!!!!!!

Hi! Stavs,

We may have passed each other with a passing glance that could have developed into more of an attraction!

• Upvote 1

I think Kimberley Wakes was after Ilkeston Wakes not much left after a visit to Ilson. The Mellors family had many attractions and i used to look after their vehicles when i was a teenager they were a bit shady never gave them credit but they were great times.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone remember exactly where it was held?. I thought Billy Bean's field on Lincoln St. A relative had a pub where McDonalds is now. I seem to remember part of the wakes round theretoo. Difficult, because I was only about 11 at the time. Until then, I only went to Goose Fair.

The field was Billy Bacons...between the railway lines and Lincoln street.........and the Pub was ''The Shoulder of Mutton........happy times 50s and 60s..........

• 7 months later...
On 6/19/2012 at 9:23 PM, katyjay said:

I think it was annual, it tied in with Goose Fair. We walked to the wakes too, from Amesbury Circus, quite a hike but never thought anything of it. It was Shank's Pony or not go at all.

Now there's a saying I've not heard for ages shark's pony , also the saying from the Falklands war Yomping !!!!