Roystons partner has phoned me to tell me forum member Royston Bakewell has died. He was a good friend of mine all the time we were at Trent Bridge juniors & seniors. I lost touch with him after we left school, he asked after me in a post on the Trent Bridge topic page & I contacted him through the personal message app on here. We became facebook friends & would yabber about stuff all the time. When we went to Hastings on hols we'd spend some time together as he lived nearby..... He was an inspiration for me when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last June as he'd had it himself & been through the ADT & radiotherapy treatment & explained what would be happening, he finished his ADT treatment the same month I started mine..... Going to miss you my friend, RIP...       

Sad to see anyone passing, but I must admit the name didn't ring any bells.

After a bit of research, I discovered that roybakewell was one of the first people ever to register on Nottstalgia - in March 2005.

He only ever made 19 posts and last visited the site in 2014. Nice to see he continued to be in touch with people he met here.

• Like 1

I've made a few FB friends through Nottstalgia site & thanks to those who set it up... I saw one of Roy's posts on the Trent Bridge site & he asked for me by name & that was it. When we got together in Hastings it was like we had seen each other only last last month, where as actually we hadn't seen each other since 1968, my wife & he got on really well. We were planning on having another get together but Covid messed our plans up, & now it wont happen...

I would hope you've made a few friends on NS as well Colly, me included. I'll always lend an ear if thou wants a chinwag or get something of your chest. Take care, B.

• Like 1

Sad to hear..

• Like 1

When I was going through my radiotherapy Royston'd phone or send a message most days asking how it went, & tell me about what side effects he'd had & when they came on. He had 37 RT sessions & I only had 20, but my daily radiation dose of 3Gy's (300 rads) was almost double his of 1.6 Gy's, we never found out why the difference. He was taking part in a trial of insulin for ongoing prostate cancer treatment, he was in the control group that didn't receive insulin. He persuaded me to take part in a Southampton Uni thing where I fill in a tick box survey of how I'm going on every 6 months, so I'm doing something useful thanks to Royston...

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1