Worro's Wine Bar, Bottle Lane.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I went out with Dave the bar manager there for several years and lived in the Park At Bob Warrow's house. Well, this brought back some memories. Remember one night being chatted up by Tony Woodcock in there ( sometimes you did get classy people!). But that was so many years ago..... No one has mentioned the sewing machines that passed for tables. Well, Dave has passed away (RIP) and I now know what happened to Bob - oh well, many memories but many lost in a haze of scrumpy.... Still nice to see people remember the 'wine bar'.

• Upvote 2

I remember the sewing machine tables very well.

And the carpets that your shoes stuck to.

And the Pernod and lemonade that rivalled the scrumpy for effect.

And the night when my mate had his Yamaha Rd350 nicked from the car park outside.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Brings back a lot of memories, I worked there in the 80's Bob Warrington was the owner I lived in his flat in the Park with 4 other guys for few years, Joe Spencer his friend used to work the door for him occasionally real gent built like a brick s*** house, John Fairey was the bald barman who later went to manage Mortimers Tavern, we used to have Les and also Mick ( think he's known as metal mickey now ) cider came from Bulmers in Hereford, the restaurant connected by the passageway to Worros but opening out on Wheeler Gate started as the Monday Club then Frodos Bistro , it was it the other way around but became Azads Curry house and we would close with Bob blowing a bugle followed by a melange of music clips including freebies and Chrchill I think, but ending with Land of Hope and Glory, Dave Fry, Bill, Julie Rob Batchelor, "little Dave" and Julie worked there amongst others. Both Joe and Bob died of heart attacks think he was living with Sue M at the time, his funeral had a black horse drawn carriage in Bramcote cemetary

• Upvote 2

Meant to say Les and Micky both deejayed the amazing music Think Pete Smith did as well, after work on Sunday's we used to go to the Ariba which got round the licensing laws by providing a pizza do it was classed as a restaurant so could open till midnight, Arabellas on Market street was the other club we used yo go to on occasion

• 1 year later...

Ahh nostalgia aint what it used to be... as a poly student I worked in Frodos Bistro on Fletcher gate ... at the back was Warrows wine bar upstairs..Bob Warrow?...(  bit of a bandido... lived in the Park, owned a pig farm,  which we thought was the local version of 'waste' disposal, akin to the foundations then being poured on the M1 down south.....say n'more..... anyway he had several big dobermans guarding it....)   I was the twice a week folk singer there for years, then moved to the French bistro ( Le Bistro?)  on St James gate, just up on the right from Lloyds....ahh them were the days....had several bachelor nights up in the wine bar.. remember a male model of mixed race, who was well ' developed'..and a stripper with a coke bottle ( !).....one of the clients was an undertaker, who used to rock up in his hearse...with an empty coffin, ( the breathalyser had just come in.... "no-one ever stops a hearse...!".)

The food was pretty awful there if I remember!... the music was worse.....

• 11 months later...

Just found this thread. Warros was owned by uncle Robert Warrington or Bob as he was known by. Uncle Rob died sadly in 1990 from a massive heart attack. He was a huge man not just in statue but in nature. And loved by many who knew him. 

Thats correct, he had his bull mastive Boris and English Bull Dog Beryl. Before that he had 2 Dobermans, but I cant remember their names? He used to go on a Monday night , visiting all his friends and family, anyone who supply him and his friends ( and designated driver) booze! He made us all laugh. Such a lovely man. Sadly missed. 

Its lovely reading this memories of him and his 'wine bar' Warro's.   

• Like 1
On 25/01/2015 at 9:46 AM, Sam2 said:

Brings back a lot of memories, I worked there in the 80's Bob Warrington was the owner I lived in his flat in the Park with 4 other guys for few years, Joe Spencer his friend used to work the door for him occasionally real gent built like a brick s*** house, John Fairey was the bald barman who later went to manage Mortimers Tavern, we used to have Les and also Mick ( think he's known as metal mickey now ) cider came from Bulmers in Hereford, the restaurant connected by the passageway to Worros but opening out on Wheeler Gate started as the Monday Club then Frodos Bistro , it was it the other way around but became Azads Curry house and we would close with Bob blowing a bugle followed by a melange of music clips including freebies and Chrchill I think, but ending with Land of Hope and Glory, Dave Fry, Bill, Julie Rob Batchelor, "little Dave" and Julie worked there amongst others. Both Joe and Bob died of heart attacks think he was living with Sue M at the time, his funeral had a black horse drawn carriage in Bramcote cemetary

Thats right! He did . Went out in style did Uncle Bob. And he loved Sue M until the day he died.x

• 1 month later...

anybody remember the cider bar up the little alleyway..not far from fletcher gate and the old Rheingold restaurant---rock DJ upstairs..very small place , all painted black..only sold cider and mead..owned by Bob, chubby bloke who lived in the park I think..i was a regular and worked behind the bar for a time around 1979