Worro's Wine Bar, Bottle Lane.

does anyone remember the real name of Warro's, the cider bar at the back of the QE ( Queen Elisabeth ) on bottle Lane.

If you went you would remember the place, Upstairs bar, 60ft long, 10ft wide, Sewing machine tables, carpets that were recorded with the UN as a new life form, Cider that ripped the emanal off your teeth, Load rock music ( Furniture Music being a classic, along with Tony Blackburn and every night ending with Free Bird - all played on the cheapest sound system you ever heard ), strange pictures painted on the walls, the worst toilets in the city ( you went for a paddle not a pee ). All together a woundeful place. Usually followed by a kabab from the shop at the top of Victoria street.

Trouble is I drank so much cider at worro's I forget it names. please help.

Worro's!

Hey! I don't remember that place. I must have been in there ! :o

Yes I think it changed its name a few times?

I am trying to think of the ownrs name as well? Ahh Worro that's it!

The kebab Place, What was that called? They had a restaraunt downstairs that

used to smash Plates!

Next door in the late 70's there was a very good club, where again you went downstairs? Was athar Arrabellas?

Surely the Worro's bar is where the Ariba club on Bottle Lane got it's carpets from?

Under the Kabab shop was a greek resturant called the Eviva Taverna, I think its now somewhere in the lace market. We once had a office Xmas do at the Victora Street Resturant, the plates created shrapnel everywhere!. Must dig out the old photos of the do. The night ended up one guy falling a sleep in the toilet, the personnel manager half passing out and then having a wresiling match in Victora Street.

• 3 months later...

Do you recall the Bediga, it was above The Sleep Shop. As far as I can remember this was on the road to the left of the Council House, on the left hand side.

Up some stairs and it opened out into just one big room where the decor left a lot to be desired.

A :P

You could get into an argument any where you liked in Nottingham, it was all good fun. You could have a good argument and a bit of a punch-up and then shake hands and drink at the bar, this was the better way of doing things, it didn't get out of hand, most of the time.

A :P

• 5 months later...

It thrived under various variations of ***WARROW'S - ***; the original one from the early seventies being FRODO'S. (JJR)?.

I was actually branded a lifetime honorary drug pushing suspect at the age of fifteen there for having been caught handing sixty pence to a school pal in the bogs, so he could get us a pair of scrumpies in (he'd just finished - I was bustin') and the pair of silly old twats never forgot that (uh? Who was happy to serve who?). This in spite of the fact that I/we never did anything apart from booze. One of them even took his misconceptual beef to another boozer which we later frequented. Ah, well. Luckily, he was struck down with some wasting disease in the early 80's which affected his great mouth and Bob Warrow hung himself soon after - probably after H.M. Customs finally cornered him for the recipe for this brew which began to rot through the carpet within weeks and the boards within months. I used to look forward to lying on my bed every friday night, watching the ceiling rotate - sped up, the longer you could watch! Good heavens; many girls, many gorgeous, sexy girls there!

I know all the surrounding and inclusive properties plus the car park there were owned or getting owned by George Akins around then, so obviously, as Nottingham City Centre had begun to develope sensibly, there arrived more astute and wealthy entrepreneurs with far bigger fish to fry. Still love to know where he got the cider; I don't think it was Morecambe+Wise brand, although he used to have their poster above the taps. The last song played without fail each night, by the way, was the British National Anthem.

The Actual Shedfixman

• 2 weeks later...

sorry,

But i seem to remember throuth the druken haze that Friday nigths alway's endered with Freebird.

I remember Ships in the Night by Be bop delux as well.

I also remember very little after the third pint, but i have a few good pictures ( they used to call me Robin because og the stuffed Robin I had on my sholder ).

• 3 months later...

The name of the bar was Warro's Wine Bar.

It opened in the early seventies by Bob Warrington who was a character in himself. We used to meet up with each other and Zak from Babels every December 12th because it was our birthdays!!!

The QE on bottle lane is where i used to have my mark 4 disco on tuesdays and thursdays when Bren O'donahue was the landlord in the mid 80's. I also did sundays at the Grand Central Diner on London Road and all the functions at the Stakis Victoria.

Busy times!!

There's a few memories.

What happened to Johnny Moore at the Aviary?? boombox2

Hi, I remember Bren at the QE, I believe he had an interest in 'The Plough' on St Peters St, Radford a bit later on. Used to go there on Friday nights for the Rock and Roll, D.J. was Rockin Ray, who used to play vinyl only! great, had some good nights with lock ins until about 3.30a.m.

How sad to see The QE closed down and derelict!

How can a pub in the city loop go out of business?

Anyone got any pictures of the QE.

And another loss nearbye. 'The Fountain' Larry's PLace.

(Laurence Bednall) he moved on to The Fox, Valley Road Basford

many years ago. Probably retired now?

What happened to Johnny Moore at the Aviary??

Johnny Moore is now at the helm at the Cabaret Club formally the Old Vic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/content/ar...l_feature.shtml

Bren at the QE was the landlord of the Pelican in Bilborough for a while after the QE

Rocking Ray's wife was Bren's wife's sister

What about Terry Lee on a Sunday night at the Aviary ... can you remember him ?

blond haired youth totally crackers .

How sad to see The QE closed down and derelict!

How can a pub in the city loop go out of business?

Anyone got any pictures of the QE.

Its Worse than that, I walked up Bottle Lane today.

The QE has been demolished!

Bermuda Triangle for Pubs!

;) Good riddance i say, it may hold alot of memories for you guys but non for me.....from what i have heard about the place it would have fallen down in the next few years anyway........you can't hold onto the past forever, you have to let go sometimes................and make way for the new.....GREAT!....

• 3 months later...

for the record bob warrington died of a heart attack rip, i know this cause i was the doorman who let everybody in. i used to stand with the bullmastiff " boris ".

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Drinks at Warrows before it sold cider

and was still a rough and ready wine bar

included;Corbilime! - Pernod + Lemonade

Bent-Trent - Pernod + Coke

what imaginations

and

what stomach we had at the tender age of 15

Warrows from memory played Pink Floyd and other memorable progrssive

rock of its day. Infact the only bar in its day that played

prog rock in the City apart from the Boat club, and all on a techno (for its time) Reel to Reel tape machine...Tech 2 track if I'm right that was

behind the bar. No bar upstair at that time

but the sewing machines were there to keep your little legs busy.

sorry,

But i seem to remember throuth the druken haze that Friday nigths alway's endered with Freebird.

I remember Ships in the Night by Be bop delux as well.

I also remember very little after the third pint, but i have a few good pictures ( they used to call me Robin because og the stuffed Robin I had on my sholder ).

That stuffed Robin rings a loud bell but I can't quite picture you my friend. Yep, I remember those songs too - plus 'Child in Time' was a fave; but you're wrong about the last song. The Nat Anth was his way of clearing us out.

:rolleyes: Well lets see em then Robin?

• 1 year later...

The kebab Place, What was that called? They had a restaraunt downstairs that

used to smash Plates!

Next door in the late 70's there was a very good club, where again you went downstairs? Was athar Arrabellas?

That nightclub was called 'Annabelle's', Mick. Right next to and downstairs from the pub on Victoria Street which just escapes my memory right now. You'd think I could remember the name, I spent enough time in there!

• 11 months later...

Here's another name for you to conjure with; former landlord of the "Sal" and proud possessor of the biggest "attitude" in nottingham, Barry Bloom.

Barry had fingers (well apart from one that was missing) in quite a few pies; he ran a pub at the top of Canning Circus, bit of an Irish joint, and also ran another pub across the road from the Sal, Home Ales place with the Indian restaurant underneath, what was it called?

I worked for Barry as a cook/barman/karaoke host/general dogsbody for a few months. He could be bit of a bully, but quite a decent employer once you got to know him; didn't do to cross him though and he didn't suffer fools gladly.

I have posted else where about Baz Bloom (I worked with him for a long while ) always blew hot and cold.

• 5 months later...
Here's another name for you to conjure with; former landlord of the "Sal" and proud possessor of the biggest "attitude" in nottingham, Barry Bloom.

Barry had fingers (well apart from one that was missing) in quite a few pies; he ran a pub at the top of Canning Circus, bit of an Irish joint, and also ran another pub across the road from the Sal, Home Ales place with the Indian restaurant underneath, what was it called?

I worked for Barry as a cook/barman/karaoke host/general dogsbody for a few months. He could be bit of a bully, but quite a decent employer once you got to know him; didn't do to cross him though and he didn't suffer fools gladly.

The Royal George (Canning Circus) and the Hearty Good Fellow.