Haircut and barbers

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy.

All dressed up and no hair to go.

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thoug

When we were training to Razor cut (ladies) we all so used a cut throat razor but we had to pratice on blownup ballons. At the end of the day, the tutor would always have to order some more ballons for the next session. 

Prendeds theres a name you can't forget they had about  8 salon's at the time there was also Stanley Dennis who allso had about the same number of  salons. Can you remember the shop above The Talbot /Yates/Slug & Lettce it had scissors that permantley would keep swinging. This was Stanley Barber's  and then there was Clarks school of Hairdressing who would give you 6 month's training then claim you were a quilified stylist, at a cost of £500 which was a lot of money at the time. How can you train to be a qulified atylist in 6 months when it used to take normal stylist 5 years to become qulified 

• Like 1
On 3/22/2022 at 9:45 PM, nonnaB said:

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thought I'd have a change as shes a bit of a gossip. This new one has left scissor marks all over and has cut my hair too short ( it does happen ) now I have to wait at least 2 months until it can be corrected by going back to my gossipy hairdresser. Sometimes I wish I could still cut my own hair like I used to but now I cant turn my head in the position I need it to be.:laughing:

Hi again nonnaB i am also in the same positon maybe after  being in the trade we are both too crital. Must addmit when we learnt our trade (if you did your training same time as me) we had just 4 cuts  layer/bob/short and long graduation, most were blunt cut oh and the razor was one of our tools to taper the ends of the hair. We did not have chipping in /slicing or where the slide the scissors down the ends to take out the bulk. The thing that I don't understand is we know what we are talking about and can mostley tell our hairdresser how to cut our hair but they don;t seem  as they want to listen.:sleeping:

• Like 1
On 3/30/2022 at 8:26 PM, mary1947 said:

When we were training to Razor cut (ladies) we all so used a cut throat razor but we had to pratice on blownup ballons. At the end of the day, the tutor would always have to order some more ballons for the next session. 

Prendeds theres a name you can't forget they had about  8 salon's at the time there was also Stanley Dennis who allso had about the same number of  salons. Can you remember the shop above The Talbot /Yates/Slug & Lettce it had scissors that permantley would keep swinging. This was Stanley Barber's  and then there was Clarks school of Hairdressing who would give you 6 month's training then claim you were a quilified stylist, at a cost of £500 which was a lot of money at the time. How can you train to be a qulified atylist in 6 months when it used to take normal stylist 5 years to become qulified 

I always went to Clarks to get my hair trimmed.  I was in awe of the lady that cut it she had very long brown hair that she swished from side to side as she was cutting.  That did it for me I wanted to go there and train when I left school.  Unfortunately my mum was a widow by then & couldn't afford the £500 fee so I never got to be a hairdresser as being stubborn if I couldn't go there I was going to be a florist instead :crazy: 

I have a question …… the black lads you see on the TV, footballers, actors, musicians etc ……. do they paint or dye their heads to give them a perfectly straight hairline across the top of their forehead?   It’s intriguing me!  

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

When we were nippers our dad used to cut our hair , well if you count putting a basin on yer head and snipped away with a rusty pair of sewing scissors , once he said , ive buggered it up son , heres half a crown nip up the barbers , 

The barber started to try and right my dads efforts, when he said get out the chair lad , you've got headlice i can't cut your hair .

I looked like a belgian refugee, come monday morning ,all the kids at school had a right laugh !!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2014 at 5:18 PM, mick2me said:

How much is a haircut from your barber.

Before I moved £5, new barbers locally are charging average of £10!

90 pesos in the Philippines,  that about £1.50 in blighty !!

On 4/1/2022 at 10:48 PM, LizzieM said:

I have a question …… the black lads you see on the TV, footballers, actors, musicians etc ……. do they paint or dye their heads to give them a perfectly straight hairline across the top of their forehead?   It’s intriguing me!  

I thought the dunked em in tar !!!

On 3/28/2022 at 2:23 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy. He seemed delighted by the double crown. A challenge, perhaps?

My dear old mam used to say i had a double crown whilst combing my hair using lots of water to dampen the hair , which would always run in your eyes , but i still felt like twice a king with a double crown !!

WOW!!!!  what a subject for nonnaB and myself. 

1st/ Brew is right to get the fore-head line  straiht small  clippers are used/ to create tram line first the line is chalked on and the clippers are turned upside down and tahts how to get tramm lines.

Hairdressing has changed such a lot, when I first started we learnt finger waving, cutting (which was only stright cut and turned into a bob and layer cut)  full head bleach white blonde. most salons only used one manufactors colour, (i went to Wella school in Leeds to obtain my qualification,) but the Koleston which I still think is used in most salons was only numbers 1-32  since then colours from wella are in their  hundreds. Also setting was in, No blowdrying, you still had to learn about the hair  which as not changed I don't think The structure oh the hair, composition of hair, PH scale Alkiline and Acid  where are the hair products in the scale. Face shapes  how hair grows (double crown) the condition of hair, The glossary of hairdressing terms eg Alopecia (loss of hair) Pediculus Capitis (better know as head lice) Pityriasis Capitis ( dandruff) then reception /cutomer service just a few facts about our trade.    

After my boys were grown up and having a salon I had to update my trade so off to college cutting had now changed to short graduation, long grauation, concave or convex bob, uniform layer cut, then you had chipping in/textering/ sliceing/ and barbering/ setting waving, frence roll, curls on top of the head. all gone. Perming not many salons do it now. highlights pulled though a cap not it's woven tecniques. I could go on and on, the only thing that I don't like about our now is ???? Trainng when yo go to college you can choose what you would like to do eg Permig or colouring,  Setting or blowdrying/ reception or H/S , I know times change but is it for the better 

!. apprentice for 3 years

2/ first year improver 

3/ Second year inprover 

4/ Fully Quilified

NOW 

1/ NVQ 1 ideal for saturday girl or teaster 

2/ NVQ 2 choice of subjects

3/ NVQ 3 long hair advanced colouring ect

4/ NVQ 4  managment and service.

Change for the moden world I'm not sure. we also did competion work which doe's not seem's to be done any more. There was a great feeling when you ented a Comp even though you knew that you would not have any chace to win.

I hope that I have not bored you with any of my trade.

My barber doesn't cut hair any longer, he's a dab hand at cutting it shorter though!   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

My godmother was a hairdresser and can always remember her purple rinse hairdo. Also that you never went anywhere near her when she had a pair of scissors in her hand. Edward Scissor Hands had nothing on her!

David Sheridan, what does a Belgian refugee look like? I’ve never heard that term before. Are they from the old Belgian Congo?

• Like 1

@MRS B its just a phrase that my dad used , and another he'd used was when didnt comb your hair is you look like a wild man from Borneo , or you look like you've been dragged through an hedge backwards !

HI Mrs B the blue rinse was a water base rinse, it would cost the client 2/6  you could do the blue or pink water rinse on clients who had white hair. it was a very strong colour it would come in small brown bottles with a blub dropper in, you would ask the client how dark she wanted her blue you could use 1 -6 drops mixed with hot water. It just goes to show thats these folk who have bright blue and shocking pink in there hair well it's nothing new.

David, sure it was Belgian? I used to hear the phrase 'Belsen refugee' when I was a nipper. It applied to kids with 'arms like knots in cotton' or countable ribs, of which there were any number in the late 40s, early 50s.

Yes Mary hairdressing has changed, glad im not doing it anymore. Went to have mine cut the other day. Its already short at the back and over my ears but full on crown and front. My daughter keeps telling me to go even shorter as she says " no matter what you think it DOES suit you. She sent me 3 photos of what she meant. They were all fantastic styles but really not suitable for my hair. As I have got older my hair has got thinner and instead of growing towards the back it grows forward making it im restricted to many styles in a way that i like. Anyway it was cut very short and I can use gel to make it spikey which i love but dont have much time for it.

• Like 1