Haircut and barbers

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy.

All dressed up and no hair to go.

I had my hair cut last week. We have a new hairdresser so thought I would try her. Never again. My usual hairdresser is very good and I'm very critical of how they cut ( I was a hairdresser) but thoug

I've learned to be wary of hairdressers. The best hairdresser I've ever met was Howard Hutchings whose family had a salon on Radford Boulevard, near Grimston Road. His mum owned the salon but Howard and his sister also worked there. Many male hairdressers are a bit limp wristed but not Howard. Swore like a trooper and was very macho but he is the only hairdresser I've ever met who could  style very long hair.  Brilliant stylist. His dog, Scobie, used to sit under one of the hairdryers and would run to greet each new client as they came in!

The Hutchins barber I knew had a shop on Mansfield Rd. In Daybrook, next to the old railway bridge. For a good reason he was known as ‘Carver Hutchins’. You only went there once!

My own barber is in Blidworth. He used to be in nearby Southwell but moved his shop some years ago. I suppose a 25 mile round trip for a haircut is a bit excessive!

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Someone who practices philanthropy!

Just read it up. As I was involved with Nottingham Spastics Society for 23years and for the last 14 years with Sheffield park & Gardens, and Princess Royal hospital, I can describe myself as a Philanthrope.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I've learned to be wary of hairdressers. The best hairdresser I've ever met was Howard Hutchings whose family had a salon on Radford Boulevard, near Grimston Road. His mum owned the salon but Howard and his sister also worked there. Many male hairdressers are a bit limp wristed but not Howard. Swore like a trooper and was very macho but he is the only hairdresser I've ever met who could  style very long hair.  Brilliant stylist. His dog, Scobie, used to sit under one of the hairdryers and would run to greet each new client as they came in!

HI Jill

i know Howard well also his sister Leslie. I first met Howard when he came to work at HFEC teaching hairdressing. He is one of the nicest people I know. Howard came to live in Hucknall on Poleperrway , Leslie who also taught Hairdressing lived at Nuthall. At the time we were all teaching he still had the salon on Radford Boulevard, did you know that he went half over England, to get his dog,Scobie as a pup. Have not seem him for a few years now, would love to meet him again.

• Like 1

Hi Beekay

Just looked word up in dictionary

Philanthropy----------- quote

Love of mankind, as shown in services to general welfare, One who trys to benifit mankind philanthrop doing good to others 

and more 

It just goe's to show, on nottstalgia the post and the comments are very Educational.

When first married I lived in the flat above Hutchings on Radford Boulevard.  It was a lovely big flat accessed by an external open staircase at the back. Scobie despite having the run of the yard used to like to do his business on the steps. It was dark and at night and it was a real nuisance. 

• Like 1

In Annesley Rows when I was a kid it was 6d at Tommy Lane's down the road . He did it in his front room. He didn't charge for cutting your ears now and again when 'short back and sides' was the only style he did.

Anyone remember .... Jones the barber on Nuthall Road. He originally had his shop opposite the library on the row of shops adjoining the old Aspley cinema. He then moved down the road across Bar Lane to the row of sohps there, by the NCT time clock and bus stop outside Pinketts news agents one end and Mr Jones at the other end of the short row.

The shorter boys sat on a board placed across the arms of the barber's chair as it was not adjustable for different heights. I can picture it now! All the shops were clean and busy with wide pavements.

Now it's all fast food outlets and shuttered shop fronts. Obvious signs of the decline of the whole of society throughtout urban and sub-urban UK. Another example of lost gems like the earlier Alfreton Road. Now a no go area at night, so I am told.

Good old George...I was one of those kids.

He won big on the pools and figured he wouldn't get pestered if he told folks he had a win but much smaller...it worked. The other shops in that block was a dry cleaners and Newbolds beeroff

There was a Newbold's off licence on Alfreton Road, just across from Bobbers Mill Road. I wonder if it was owned by the same people? They sold 'loose sherry'. As a small child, I was fascinated by that and always wanted to look through the window to see if it was running around!

• Like 1

Jones the barber's original shop was next door to my grandma's sweet shop, Dorothy's, later owned by my aunt. The shop on the other side was a greengrocers I believe, then there was a path to Dr. Ryan and the allotments. I wonder how accurate my recollections are from about 1949. 

My mum attended Guilford Girls' School on Bar Lane from 1937 and remembered the library being built. In September 1939, with the outbreak of war, mum's schooling went haywire as I think Guilford was being used for some other purpose. Some lessons were  held at the house of a female teacher who lived on Bar Lane but if girls needed the toilet, they were not permitted to use hers and had to walk to the school for those facilities. I think they used the newly built library for some lessons.

Yes, I remember Dorothy's, which later I believe became a froffy coffee bar, or pehaps that was the greengrocers. The path leading to Dr. Ryan's and allotments was the old lane which passed through the allotment before Bar lane was constructed. This path lead past Guilford Girls School through the lower allotments and ended on Percy Street. 

Behind the library the straight line of hedges is the Babbington to Newcastle pit NCB coal line whch crossed Melbourne Road.

To the right of the library is the farm/manor house with stabling to the rear. I remember it as housing a dairy. At the bottom centre of Melbourne Road is the one-time rectangular concrete air-raid shelter, then a public toilet and then a police station.

Happy memories.

Next to Dorothys was Yeomans greengrocers and Barclays Bank. It was Dorothys that grassed me up to my Dad. I nicked a pound note of his and spent most of it on coconut ice at her shop.That earned me a thrashing off my Dad......My only good hiding ......and to this day I cant stand coconut ice.

• Upvote 1

Hairdressers didn't have fun doing my hair. They tended to complain about me having a double crown, whatever that means to hairdressers! Once had my hair done by a chap who was trained by Teasy-Weasy. He seemed delighted by the double crown. A challenge, perhaps?

• Like 2

Never enjoyed having a haircut but my mother always insisted it was done just before we went on holiday. One year I thought I had got away with it as we got to Mablethorpe without the dreaded chop. No such luck, part way through the week it was decided that I needed a trim and my dad as well. Between theflat where we stayed and the beach was a barber named Belas so in we went. He was a traditional barber who finished your cut with a cutthroat razor, the frightening part was the speed he used it. I hardly dared to breathe but the plus point was that his handywork lasted a lot longer than the barbers at home so it was worth it.

• Like 1

I had a haircut at the local Turkish barbers a while ago, they seem to have gone back to the '50s. He finished by singeing my hair with a lit taper, smelt horrible...