Queens Rd & Station Rd Beeston

In the mid 60s  does anyone recall on Queens Rd Reynolds sweet & ciggy shop & I think there may have been an off licence attached opposite the Essoldo and alongside was VG food shop.  I think there may have been a chemist inbetween.  On Station Road there was Mrs Bennett a rather large lady always grumpy, sat in her chair and didn't move if she didn't have to.  She sold fruit & veg, tinned food, loose dog biscuits, cold meats that she'd slice.  I remember being sent to Bennetts for a quarter of corned beef for 1s 6d.   I'd always get a threepenny apple on the way to school until she told me it was now threepence h'penny and that was the end of my apple a day!.  On the other side with the bus stop outside was a shop that sold paraffin - I had to go with a small can & get it filled for our heaters in the hall & bathroom, pots & pans etc I guess a hardware store.  Further up was the chippy and then on the corner of Middle St was a sweet shop with a very nice lady that ran the shop.  I remember one day whilst off to Bennetts a man on a cycle was knocked off his bike by a lorry, run over & killed.  I was told to stay away so I can only imagine the scene except there was an awful lot of sand spread on the road. 

• Like 1

I don't know about that!    I used to go on a Sat. afternoon with some friends it cost 6d.   My mum used to take in 6 students from the Uni or from Ericssons.  One time we had a uni student his name Vijay Verma ?  He took me now & again to see the Indian films that were being shown.  On his birthday he received via the post from his family some lovely wrist bracelets which he gave to me afterwards - I wish I still had them - don't know what happened to them but they were very bright, colourful and had little jewels on them! 

My chief memory of that area is the crossroads at Queens Road - Station Road (where the cinema used to be).

In the late 1970s that junction had a double-mini-roundabout which baffled many drivers and caused more problems than it ever solved. Fortunately they've gone out of fashion now.

9 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

My chief memory of that area is the crossroads at Queens Road - Station Road (where the cinema used to be).

In the late 1970s that junction had a double-mini-roundabout which baffled many drivers and caused more problems than it ever solved. Fortunately they've gone out of fashion now.

We moved in 1969 so didn't get to see the roundabout guess they should have stuck with the traffic lights.

I think my aunt used to teach at a girls? Secondary school in Beeston.  She was born around the turn of the century and presumably retired about 1960.  Her name was Gwen Selby.  Wonder if anyone on here went to that school…..

Just now, philmayfield said:

I went to see an Elvis film but I can’t remember either the title or the name of the girl in the double back seat!

You obviously had other things on your mind or had other things elsewhere :biggrin:

1 minute ago, MargieH said:

I think my aunt used to teach at a girls? Secondary school in Beeston.  She was born around the turn of the century and presumably retired about 1960.  Her name was Gwen Selby.  Wonder if anyone on here went to that school…..

I went to Nether St school ie Beeston Girls Secondary School from 1966-1969.  Our headmistress was Miss Herring who always got battered fish from the local chippy spread over her car by the 4th year leavers on their final day!

The name Nether Street definitely rings a bell.  She came to Nottingham around 1941/42 and lived in Wollaton.

i’ll look at that site you mentioned, Jill. Thank you

In the 50s/60s my aunt Clara and Uncle Pete lived on Queens Rd Beeston, there surname was Allen, they had one son John, if any member ived on this RD he used to have small boats in his backyard on Sundays he was always out sailing.   Later, John joined the police and he ended up on the police boats  on  the trent.

Don't remember those names but Queens Rd was/is a looooong road.  I lived on Queens Rd near the rec on Dovecote Lane.  Our neighbours were The Camerons I think Mr Cameron was a Professor at the Uni their son Ian & his older sister.  Other neighbours were Mr & Mrs Day & their kids Kevin, Richard & Kay?  & Mrs Haynes & her girls Jean, Angela & Linda forgot or maybe didn't know the names of anyone else.

• Like 1