Recognised as being from Nottingham

In another thread " Exiled Snot", Deepdene mentioned his kids thinking he had a funny accent.

As most know we are currently traveling the great land of oz, well yesteday a chap parked next to me in remote South Oz on the eyre peninsular, we had a bit of a chat like you do and he asked me if I was from nottm !

He was from Keswick but had spent time in notts so instantly recognised my distinct twang.

I have had this many times now in some of the most out of the way places around the world, it's amazing how our past life follows us unknowingly to the other side of the planet.

When I return from one of my homeland trips my kids always say my accent becomes much stronger, I dont even feel I sound like I have an accent, but we Nottm'ites are like the scouses and the geordies very distinctive.

• Upvote 6
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some European truck drivers were sitting in a greasy spoon discussing the merits of their various trucks. The Swedish driver said "I have a Volvo truck and I pick up a load from Stockholm go via

A few years ago, our friends from Radcliffe  on Trent were visiting us. We took them to the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix. It is a huge place with about 6 different trails to walk. We were on on

My 3rd story of a coincidence.  My hubby went to Hogarth infants and juniors and has a friend on FB who was in his class all through these 2 schools. Tarn is her name, and she often liked something I

Banjo48, it is probably a sub concious thing that causes the accents of those of us that are exiled to become stronger when we either spend time back in Nottingham, or think or read about home. My missus swears that she knows when I have been looking at the Nottstalgia website, as she says that my accent becomes much broader.

• Upvote 6

Six degrees of Separation.

When we went to the Victorian snow country to see our grandchild shortly after he was born we stayed at a motel as there were many visitors and no room at the house. When I went to reception to check in and having said only a few words the owner of the motel said where abouts in Notts are you from? We spoke further and found out she came from the next village to where I came from and went to the same school. Different age group so we had never met.

• Upvote 3

Believe it or not, on two occasions on visits to America, on booking in to the hotel I have been asked 'Are you from New Zealand?'. Why New Zealand?

Many years ago in Florida picking up a hire car the chap said to me I see you are from Wilford Nottingham.( In an American accent)

We had a chat and it transpired that he was from WB and went to Roland Green School. I asked him why he had lost his Nottingham accent and he replied it was to fit in with the locals as they could not understand him when he first came 2 years before!!

Kind regards

Tony

50yrs in West Midlands and I hope I am still a "Miduck" I had to drop a few of our expressions eg "Pods for babies bootees and duddoos and suckers and bobbar etc" but I love our accent, though I know mine is milder but not gone altogether. When I come to Nottingham and I hear some one shout "Ayup Duck". Then I know I am Home. Great. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I was watching some "Forest Executive Crew" videos on t'tube last night ahead of our meeting with the scummy rams tonight and one guys accent on the video nearly cut me in two. I've lived away from Nottingham for yonks but can still recognise a Nottingham drawl for a mile and a quarter, it is unique and must be encouraged.

These days I speak Wenglish which confuses the bejeezus out of a lot of people yada

When I moved up to East Yorkshire a few years back I was being introduced as the new member of staff and my automatic response was "Eyup meduk".

Wasn't Selby was it?

• Upvote 1

I've been asked hundreds of times by Americans if I'm Australian, maybe ten years of living in the sunburned country imparted a NSW accent on me?

Over the years I've been asked if I'm Scots. (Me Scots???) Lol. Irish, Ausralian. I suppose they assume that anything that isn't North American must be one of these. Only met a couple of Nottinghamians that I can remember. Never been asked if I'm a taffy though.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure you're correct in your assumption LoppyLugs. We've spent quite a lot of time in the States and have always been asked if we're Australians. Maybe Americans don't think that us Brits are travellers.

• Upvote 2

Never been asked if I'm a taffy though.

Have you ever been accused of being a gog?

Maybe Americans don't think that us Brits are travellers.

You know what? Years ago I used to revere the yanks as being world travellers but they ain't or, at the most, no more than anyone else. During the 70's (my first time working over there) and in the early 2000's when I was living in San José I met many people who had never left the state, one guy from Huntsville Alabama I met was being taken out of Madison County for the first time in his life for his 40th birthday!

We were on holiday in London when I was around 7 - 8 years old. Somewhere in central London we were in a newsagent / sweetshop. I must’ve been said something to my parents and the lady behind the counter asked “are you from Nottingham ?” based purely on me muttering a few words.

As a 7 year-old I was surprised and impressed that a total stranger in London could tell I was from Nottingham just from a few words I’d said.

I was watching some "Forest Executive Crew" videos on t'tube last night ahead of our meeting with the scummy rams tonight and one guys accent on the video nearly cut me in two. I've lived away from Nottingham for yonks but can still recognise a Nottingham drawl for a mile and a quarter, it is unique and must be encouraged.

These days I speak Wenglish which confuses the bejeezus out of a lot of people yada

Wasn't Selby was it?

No, a bit further up in sunny Bridlington.

Years ago when we lived in Radcliffe we had next door neighbours from Lichfield. Chatting with the wife, as you do with your neighbour when the husband came home from work he would ask "have you been talking to ............ Thought so you've picked up her accent." I was convinced I didn't have a Nottingham accent being from Lancashire but obviously I have. There is a saying here" he who walks with a person who limps sooner or later will limp himself"

• Upvote 1

My wife still comes out with "thanks miduck" mostly at supermarket checkouts, where usually the young girl gives her a weird look !

Always remember watching an in depth interview with Robert Linsay (Ilkeston born and bred) and he said he had to lose his nottm/derbyshire accent very quick to succeed in his acting profession, he could easily slip back into it though and said when visiting family he always came away with his old accent returned and had to work at losing it yet again.

• Upvote 2

About 30 years ago when working in Nigeria I had lunch in the Lagos Beach bar. The place was quite empty and one table was occupied by a friendly looking bloke, so I asked if I could join him. He said "yes mate, are you from Nottingham"? Turned out he was from Colwick! We shared a few yarns and drinks.

• Upvote 2

Nobody here asks me if I'm from Nottingham. They ask where do you come from you're not Italian are you? I must have an english accent. When I say I'm english they always tell me that they know someone in London and you've guessed right....Do you know them. .? Don't they know the world is a big place. Its usually people that have never left the village that ask.

• Upvote 2

Favorite line here in Ga. Is, "Yer not from araand these parts are ya?" That applies to anybody who is not Southern, especially the Yankees. Ya don't want to be a Yankee around these parts. If somebody is hard to get along with the wife will usually say, "It's because he's a "Yankee."

#23 - nonnaB - I remember going to Goose Fair with my mum and dad in the late 50s, where we happened to meet an old work colleague of my mum, with her husband. In the course of conversation dad mentioned that he had been in India during the war. The woman's husband said, "Really - did you know a chap called so-and-so...?" (Can't remember the name, but it wasn't Smith.) The woman turned to him and said "Don't be daft Frank, think of how many thousands of British soldiers there were in India..."

And then dad replied, "Well, it's a funny thing - but - actually, I did know him..."

• Upvote 1

My sister in law is German and when she's on the phone she will come out with her Nottingham accent, of course she has learnt every thing from my bother. It is strange to hear her say tor-rar in Germany English, and of course when she calls you love, but I dare not tell her as she try's so hard with her English.

Looking at my Nottingham accent 's spelling not sure if it's spelt right

What's a gog? Maybe I shouldnt ask. :unsure:

The only thing in South Wales less popular than the English.

It's short for "Gogledd" which means "northerner" in Welsh and refers to anyone who comes from north of Powys.

If I ever come across a Plaid Cymru supporter who's rabbiting on about kicking all the sais (English) out, I just remind him that if they do they'll just go back to hating each other; which they do, with a vengeance!

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Recognised as being from Nottingham