Recognised as being from Nottingham

I gave some talks to several local history societies in recent years and it was suggested that I avoid using the term ‘ladies and gentlemen’ as gender assumption is a can of worms. As my audience were general older people I didn’t perceive a problem but it was given when at a ‘council’ venue and I complied. The term ‘duck’ was very common in the Radford of my youth but with the young now it seems absent. Referring to friends as ‘fam’ is common where my grandson lives in Eastwood and elsewhere I suspect. An older woman in Birds at Eastwood always serves by asking ‘now then my duck’ never ‘me duck’. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some European truck drivers were sitting in a greasy spoon discussing the merits of their various trucks. The Swedish driver said "I have a Volvo truck and I pick up a load from Stockholm go via

A few years ago, our friends from Radcliffe  on Trent were visiting us. We took them to the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix. It is a huge place with about 6 different trails to walk. We were on on

My 3rd story of a coincidence.  My hubby went to Hogarth infants and juniors and has a friend on FB who was in his class all through these 2 schools. Tarn is her name, and she often liked something I

Never heard of 'fam',  utterly another irritating phrase is the Mid-atlantic term 'Bro'.

Why do people not speak English anymore? There's an announcer on BBC2 who never uses 'th' , he refers to programs coming on in firty minutes, or fought and fink.

• Like 1

Like it or not we have to accept that our language is continually evolving. We don’t all have to go along with the flow though. Some of us like to maintain the standards of ‘received pronunciation’. Dost thou not agree?

• Like 1

Nah, maybe the posh version where yo is, its Ey. But proper folk say Ayup like wot I do...     :P

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham accents

My father was an absolute stickler for spoken English and used to criticise news readers on telly all the time. Apart from Angela Rippon and Moira Stuart who both had beautiful speaking voices and were his favourites. Being a McDonald his favourite gripe was calling folks north of the border Scotch not Scots. 
That doesn’t stop me though using Notts lingo being born and bred in the county.

5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

How does the Queen say it then?

If you wish to sound like Liz then substitute a sounds with e sounds.

It ectually works!!

• Like 1

Nottingham words    We tend to ask for a sucker when we should say ice lolli, and yet when we lived over in South Africa they also called them Sucker's.

What they did not like though, went into a green grocer's and ask for half a pound of nobby greens, of cause they did not know what they were.

If you do over to Germany never ever ask for "Mushy Peas" it is a very rude word, little story  Went over to my brother's who ives in Germany for the "IRISH FOLK FESTIVAL"  which is in Aug and what was for you to eat!!!  yes Fish n'Chips with Mushy Peas!!!  

When I worked at QMC we were told to never call anyone "duck" as in "would you like a cup of tea me duck?" Can't remember anyone taking any notice though & no one ever complained to gaffers AFAIK..... When on an underground visit to the National Mining Museum near Wakefield my wife called me duck & the guide took the micky out of us. Mind you he took the mickey out of me big time when he learn't I was on the underground loco's down Hucknall pit: he kept shining his light at me & asking if I was still awake? The cheeky so-&-so... 

• Like 1

You can certainly expect to be called Duck in Newark but perhaps by an older generation or within family. Philmayfield probably mixes with the higher strata of society!

In reply to letsavagoo, isn't "Me old love" a Yorkshire saying? "Me old flower" was the catchphrase of Yorkshire comedian Charlie Williams.

After migrating to Australia in 1956 I started my trade course at Ultimo Technical College in the heart of Syney.One day I went to the store and asked the storeman for a"6 inch clamp". Son I don.t understand what you are saying,hang on I get someone else ,I repeated my request only to get the same response. Better write it down,which I did. Mate you want a "Claaaamp" you were asking for a "Clump" or something like that no wonder we didn,t understand. Just shows how a "Nottingham " accent was difficult to understand "Downunder" More broader English accents were even more difficult for the Aussies.  

From that day on I changed and today nobody picks me for a "Pommie"  

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2022 at 8:27 AM, DJ360 said:

Reminds me of 'Cross-Chockled', which as far as I can determine..has similar meaning, but derives from St Helens.

Always remember hearing the word Nesh and didnt understand,  i was about 4yrs old standing at the bus stop with my sister and i was crying because it was the middle of january and very frosty , my sister said to me , shut up you mardy baby you're nesh you are !!!!

Anyone heard the expression serri ? Cerri ? As in yo alrete serri ?

Always recall having to stay in the stable lads hostel in Nottingham racecourse , we'd travel there with 4 horses running over the two day meeting , as we settled in for the night the hostel porter asked one of the lads ,yo want another pillow me duck ?

The lad turned round to me and whispered is he gay or summat ?

I had to explain to him , no its only an endearment term around these parts !

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I was chatting to a friend the other day and this topic came up.

A few years ago we visited Victoria on Vancouver Island. My wife was with her dad so I left them to spend time together and I wandered off through the local China town and way out off the beaten track. I window shopped and went into one of those arty type shops selling dream catchers and all manner of ‘new age, hippy’ type stuff. One of the assistants asked what I was looking for and she recognised my English accent. She too was English although she had picked up the local accent. To cut a long story short she mentioned she’d lived in Lincoln for some years lecturing at the university. My son attended Lincoln uni and it turned out she remembered him well and had been one of his lecturers. 
Any one else had a small world experience.

• Like 1

A few years ago, our friends from Radcliffe  on Trent were visiting us. We took them to the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix. It is a huge place with about 6 different trails to walk. We were on one trail, chatting away, when a young couple came towards us. The fella said, English voices, as he heard us talking. We stopped to chat, he told us he originated from Lancs, said he used to live in Phoenix but moved to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I said, my daughter's friend moved there, but is now moving to Lancashire to get married. He said, Tina? I said yes! He said,  if you know Tina, do you know her friend Heather? I said,  that's our daughter!  Turns out when he lived in Phoenix he went to the English pub, The George And Dragon.  Tina and Heather worked evenings there.  Wecould have been on any other path and never spoken.

• Like 5
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Recognised as being from Nottingham