Nottingham accents

I was surprised (and relatively old) when I first heard Nottingham males speak to each other as 'duck'.

I'd always thought it was only used to members of the opposite sex. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EY-UP Duck yo or rate ? EY-UP Brian...ye am ok Duck........   Normal Duck ? No Ta Duck....just a black coffee.......   How much is this Cat Duck ?   £3 Duck...

50yrs in West Midlands and I hope I am still a "Miduck" I had to drop a few of our expressions eg "Pods for babies bootees and duddoos and suckers and bobbar etc" but I love our accent, though I know

Like it or not we have to accept that our language is continually evolving. We don’t all have to go along with the flow though. Some of us like to maintain the standards of ‘received pronunciation’. D

You can certainly expect to be called Duck in Newark but perhaps by an older generation or within family. Philmayfield probably mixes with the higher strata of society!

In reply to letsavagoo, isn't "Me old love" a Yorkshire saying? "Me old flower" was the catchphrase of Yorkshire comedian Charlie Williams.

3 hours ago, Newarker said:

"Me old flower" was the catchphrase of Yorkshire comedian Charlie Williams.

Great comedian and a good footballer, I remember seeing him play for Doncaster Rovers.

After migrating to Australia in 1956 I started my trade course at Ultimo Technical College in the heart of Syney.One day I went to the store and asked the storeman for a"6 inch clamp". Son I don.t understand what you are saying,hang on I get someone else ,I repeated my request only to get the same response. Better write it down,which I did. Mate you want a "Claaaamp" you were asking for a "Clump" or something like that no wonder we didn,t understand. Just shows how a "Nottingham " accent was difficult to understand "Downunder" More broader English accents were even more difficult for the Aussies.  

From that day on I changed and today nobody picks me for a "Pommie"  

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2022 at 8:27 AM, DJ360 said:

Reminds me of 'Cross-Chockled', which as far as I can determine..has similar meaning, but derives from St Helens.

Always remember hearing the word Nesh and didnt understand,  i was about 4yrs old standing at the bus stop with my sister and i was crying because it was the middle of january and very frosty , my sister said to me , shut up you mardy baby you're nesh you are !!!!

Anyone heard the expression serri ? Cerri ? As in yo alrete serri ?

Always recall having to stay in the stable lads hostel in Nottingham racecourse , we'd travel there with 4 horses running over the two day meeting , as we settled in for the night the hostel porter asked one of the lads ,yo want another pillow me duck ?

The lad turned round to me and whispered is he gay or summat ?

I had to explain to him , no its only an endearment term around these parts !

• Upvote 1