Pickled eggs Nottingham style?

Is there such a thing as a Nottingham pickled egg?

A pickled egg in a bag of crisps used to be mandatary with our darts team. Essential component in the team training diet.

I have a lot of eggs and cider vinegar - I hope that the Nottingham pickled egg is based on cider vinegar.

Any pickled egg experts on here? 

There were always a jar of pickled eggs on the counter in loads of chip shops and also in some pubs. Even our mobile chippie, who comes round once a week carries them. They used to be about 60p each, but no idea how much nowadays, ( I stopped going to van when his prices started to creep up).

There always used to be a jar of pickled eggs at the chippy or even pubs. Not sure if there is such a thing as Nottingham pickled eggs though. I have never indulged, just like eggs as they are. I am very lucky that at the allotment there are a couple of guys who keep chickens and always have too many. Definitely fresh but obvs no best before date on them. Lovely  

I quite like pickled eggs, but the vinegar can be very intense.

Eggs have long been preserved, using Sodium Silicate, or 'Waterglass'.  We also used it when aahh wur a lad..to make 'Chemical Gardens'.

I used to buy Sodium Silicate in tins from the chemist.  It came as a thick clear syrupy liquid of similar consistency to Golden Syrup.

A bit of research reveals that using 'waterglass' preserves raw eggs 'as is', so that they remain 'fresh' for long periods.

https://www.askaprepper.com/how-to-preserve-eggs-with-waterglass/

Cannot ever remember a jar of pickled eggs in any pub I used to frequent. Pickled onions, yes, and the ubiquitous plastic dome with sandwiches and cobs of dubious age. Don't think I'd be able to eat a pickled egg as boiled eggs are not one of my favourite ways to eat eggs.

I can't bear anything pickled (and that includes people).  As children, on Fridays, we were treated to fish and chips for supper from the fish and chip shop on Alfreton Road. My older sister always insisted on a gherkin with hers and used to consume pickled onions straight from the jar!  Vinegar doesn't suit me and never did. I have a tendency to stomach acid and avoid anything that might encourage it. Sis, on the other hand drinks bottles of Gaviscon to keep hers under control.

I like eggs in all forms except raw.  I like poached eggs on toast, hard or soft boiled eggs, (hot or cold) fried eggs 'over easy', and of course omelettes.

I like my omelettes cooked quickly and not overdone, folded onto the plate. Mushrooms, ham, etc.,etc..make good additions.

Mrs Col on the other hand, beats her eggs almost to a foam and then slowly tortures them in a  lukewarm frying pan, into something resembling a slab of yellow polystyrene, before putting under the grill for about 30 minutes then eating..with tomato ketchup... :ohmy:  Yeeeaaaauuuugghhhh...

We refer to gherkins as ‘wallys’ here. I got the name from an old friend who was born within the sound of Bow Bells. We had a jar of wallys last week that I had to clamp into a vice in my workshop to open it after all other methods failed!

7 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

.with tomato ketchup... :ohmy:  Yeeeaaaauuuugghhhh...

Ketchup is my saviour , if I have to have anything I am not particularly fond of rather than cause problems mentioning it, I cover it with ketchup and it makes it edible for me. 

I like ketchup in its proper place Mick, but if I'm presented with food I don't like, I don't eat it.  Mind..there's not much I don't like, apart from just about everything that comes out of the sea.:laugh:

Talking of sauces, I've just discovered a penchant for sweet chilli sauce. Never knew it existed until a fortnight ago. When I watch some you tube clips  on various eateries, I didn't realise there were so much choices you can stick on burgers etc., not that I ever buy them. Also can some kind person explain to me, the term, "loaded/dirty" fries. I've led a very sheltered life.

Years ago I bought a bottle of West Indian hot pepper sauce from a deli on Arkwright St. It was the most ferocious hot sauce I’ve ever tasted. A few miles from us at Rolleston is a grower called ‘Chilli Bob’s.’ Bob died a couple of years ago but his son still grows the chillies and produces chilli condiments. This summer they are holding a chilli festival at Southwell racecourse.

Don't know about the fries BK, but Sweet Chilli Sauce is wonderful stuff in many contexts.

One I got from my brother is to add it to Cabbage and Bacon.  I just  chop bacon, fry it a bit then add in a whole well shredded 'Sweetheart' cabbage and cook slowly until tender, before adding a good dollop of Sweet Chilli Sauce.  Makes a meal for one, or a side dish for a few.. :)

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

We refer to gherkins as ‘wallys’ here. I got the name from an old friend who was born within the sound of Bow Bells. We had a jar of wallys last week that I had to clamp into a vice in my workshop to open it after all other methods failed!

My mother in law taught me a trick to opening a jar lid that refused to budge. Give the side of the lid a quick whack with a rolling pin, and you can hear the vacuum release. Lid turns after that. 

As for loaded fries,  perhaps covered in melted cheese and chopped crispy bacon?

Took a girl from Mansfield down the Green'' and into the 'Smiths Arms'' in the mid 60s...........she saw the 'Pickled eggs'' in in big jar on the Bar.....and asked me what they were...said she'd never seen or heard of em afore...must have thought they were a Nottingham delicacy........

Twas the same night she told me a chap had just squeezed her 'Ass' at the Bar........told her  ''Tek no notice..they all do that round here'''..........:rolleyes:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Lea and Perrins

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Mind..there's not much I don't like, apart from just about everything that comes out of the sea.:laugh:

Oysters Kilpatrick, fresh oysters grilled with bacon pieces and Worcestershire sauce or BBQ prawns marinated in L&P sauce. What's not to like about that.