Six Hills, Durham Ox, A46, etc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We’ve just returned from lunch at the Tap and Run at Upper Broughton. Thanks for the recommendations, it was one of the best meals I’ve had, excellent chef.

The Golden Fleece at Upper Broughton I remember well. It now appears to have changed its name. There is a brook passing under the Melton road near to Nether Broughton which is the Dalby Brook, the mai

Will definitely go again, not cheap but well worth it. Go for a special occasion definitely.   my kids just landed in the US safe and sound    Mrs B

When searching for a house in Notts about 20 years ago we viewed the Vicarage at Ab Kettleby.  It was a really attractive and interesting property but a previous occupant had obviously sold some of the land off for development so it was hemmed in up a fairly narrow driveway, there was a closed-down pub nearby.  The village didn’t seem to have anything going for it, maybe it’s improved now. 

My boyfriend around 1970 was a professional racing cyclist and one summer’s evening he got me to drive along the Six Hills Road whilst he cycled behind in the slip-stream.  I suppose I wouldn't have been driving above 25 mph, we certainly wouldn’t have got away with it these days!  I think about that every time I drive through the area. 

The Golden Fleece at Upper Broughton I remember well. It now appears to have changed its name. There is a brook passing under the Melton road near to Nether Broughton which is the Dalby Brook, the main source of this stream rises from the grounds of Old Dalby Hall passing on its north easterly route under the railway embankment.

Six Hills (Wartnaby) was an area of earlier iron stone extraction. Six Hills rifle range is still extant, located on Six Hills Lane, opposite the golf course and next to the solar farm.

The once existed a Broughton Grange, a fine residence demolished by the MOD 1949? on land adjoining the RAOC/REME Camp Dalby Depot.  (GE) 52. 58' 47N - 00. 58' 53W.)

• Like 1

Aren't the Deepings somewhere down South of Peterborough way? I'm thinking of Market Deeping and Deeping St.James, two of which were among my many drops on Thursdays out of SPD, Glaisdale drive.

South Kesteven, Beekay. The Savages were farmers, bakers and confectioners dotted between Melton Mowbray and The Deepings going back into the mid 1800s. Long before I was born!

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

The Golden Fleece at Upper Broughton I remember well. It now appears to have changed its name.

It’s now called Tap and Run as a nod towards its present owners, Notts cricketers Stuart Broad and Harry Gurney.  We had lunch there one day on our way back from Melton Market and it was really good food and lovely atmosphere, just a shame it’s a bit of a trek when someone has to be the driver. 

Ooh will have to give it a try for food thanks for the recommendation. On a very different note the Nags at Harby has a priest hole which I don’t think many people know about. Some really interesting villages around that area.

18 hours ago, Alpha said:

The Golden Fleece at Upper Broughton I remember well. It now appears to have changed its name. There is a brook passing under the Melton road near to Nether Broughton which is the Dalby Brook, the main source of this stream rises from the grounds of Old Dalby Hall passing on its north easterly route under the railway embankment.

Six Hills (Wartnaby) was an area of earlier iron stone extraction. Six Hills rifle range is still extant, located on Six Hills Lane, opposite the golf course and next to the solar farm.

The once existed a Broughton Grange, a fine residence demolished by the MOD 1949? on land adjoining the RAOC/REME Camp Dalby Depot.  (GE) 52. 58' 47N - 00. 58' 53W.)

Well amazing I have the right pub  (not bad memory for my age}  If you do remember this pub the landlord and landlady were May and Alf Stone and i think that they had two daughter's  also   that they went from The Bluebell on Alfred st south  St Anns to the Fleece,

Hi Melissa  I also used to work on Alfred Street South but when I worked there it was the Old St Anns.

We’ve just returned from lunch at the Tap and Run at Upper Broughton. Thanks for the recommendations, it was one of the best meals I’ve had, excellent chef.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just one guys

Will definitely go again, not cheap but well worth it. Go for a special occasion definitely.

my kids just landed in the US safe and sound 

Mrs B

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/6/2022 at 2:45 PM, MRS B said:

The pub is currently on fire. Doesn’t look very good from the pictures the BBC are putting on Twitter.

Oh no!! That’s awful.