Police and Crime Commissioner speeding.

I've just read that the Notts Police and Crime Commissioner, Caroline Henry, was caught speeding five times in four months in 2021. She awaits sentencing. As speeding was one of the 'crimes' she vowed to tackle surely this must be a resigning issue?  

• Like 1

I would prefer them to be independent of any political party, and not just a talking head who simply rubber stamps whatever the establishment want.

On the 610 signs tell you there are cameras, most know this and drive at 30. To be caught at 40mph she must have been flying past other road users, even that didn't warn her – arrogance, or stupidity?

Her husband is an MP, is this as another example of someone with their snout in the trough, and thinking they are above the law.

• Like 1

According to the BBC…

Henry is expected to argue two of the five offences were due to "emergencies", with one being when she was "very concerned for one of her children".

We’ll have to wait and see whether she can convince the court to let her keep her licence.

• Like 1

"very concerned for one of her children".

That won't even get of the starting blocks as an acceptable reason.

The only one that might is immediate threat to the drivers life, as in actually being chased by someone.

And doing 35 / 38 in a 30 doesn't back that up, if you're in fear of your life you'd be doing at least 100mph.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Stuart.C said:

doing at least 100mph

Oh ! To have a car that would do 100mph, sheer bliss.

• Like 1

She’s either stupid or arrogant (or both). She should offer her immediate resignation. She will have no credibility in her position as police and crime commissioner. She can hardly be acquitted given the evidence against her.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

She’s either stupid or arrogant (or both). She should offer her immediate resignation. She will have no credibility in her position as police and crime commissioner. She can hardly be acquitted given the evidence against her.

Quite agree, but I'll bet there are plans to save her licence by claiming mitigating circumstances to keep the points down.

In short they are the voice of the people to hold the police to account. I think it's a useful role in a democracy. The police do need some restraint. We're not a police state yet although its progressing that way in that we have to be careful when expressing an opinion in public. Police commissioners should be above law breaking though. I think she's waiting for the court's verdict in July when her 'extenuating circumstances' are going to be looked at. As far as most people are concerned she's lost credibility and should resign immediately. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

In short they are the voice of the people to hold the police to account. I think it's a useful role in a democracy

Indeed that was the original intention, but it's naive to think they have made any difference to police accountability or effectiveness. It's purely a titular position, as Lets said, a complete waste of money. Nottingham PCC has a budget  in the millions yet the crime rate in Nottigham is 131% of national average, and the city is in the top 20 and number 1 for it's population size.

She scrapped the deputy chief constable position to save money (£76000), yet is now recruiting a CEO for £86000. Perhaps that's why she keeps getting caught speeding, she's no good with figures!

• Like 1

You’ve got to have some sort of independent intermediary to go to though if you have a complaint regarding policing. The police are quite keen to cover up their own inefficiencies. I confess I voted for this bloody woman because I thought her predecessor, Padding Tipping, at 72 should take retirement and make way for a younger person. I was not aware of her credentials neither did I realise she was married to the ‘overspending’ MP Darren Henry. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

You’ve got to have some sort of independent intermediary to go to though if you have a complaint regarding policing

The main reason I think there should be no political affiliation, no policy or manifesto to follow.

The police authorities were the body for overseeing the police prior to the introduction of the PCC role. Brew. There is the IOPC (independent office for police conduct) which isn’t the responsibility of the PCC. I agree totally with above comments that political influence should be removed from the role.

The problem is that most people haven't heard of the IOPC whereas the PCC is generally known due to the publicity of having an election for that office. The office could still be one for election but without a political stance and with the candidates demonstrating their qualifications for the position. 

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

The problem is that most people haven't heard of the IOPC whereas the PCC is generally known due to the publicity of having an election for that office.

But how many realise the PCC deals with complaints about the police? I didn't. The PCC as far as I knew was simply an overarching office for funding allocations and directing police efforts to target local problems.

It seems they also have the power to delay a simple speeding case from reaching a conclusion for six months or more, whilst a hugely expensive barrister prepares a defence before a judge. A lowly magistrate can't possibly deal with someone so important.

22 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The problem is that most people haven't heard of the IOPC whereas the PCC is generally known due to the publicity of having an election for that office.

Protesters, for example the current stop the fuel type, are well organised with legal advisors and will know exactly who and where to complain and if you as an individual wished to complain about police conduct you would soon be directed to the IOPC. 
Try complaining about a doctor. I did and that is fun.

I too think Mrs Henry will have to go.

• 1 month later...