Police and Crime Commissioner speeding.

I thought sentencing was tomorrow; must have got dates mixed up.  Anyway, she can't ride an electric scooter while banned (it is classed as a mechanically propelled vehicle).

She would also have had to pay her lawyer, who argued 'exceptional hardship' on her behalf.  Something about needing to get to Salisbury to see one of her daughters.  That was unsuccessful, hence the driving ban.  At least she can start driving again in January with a clean sheet (all points wiped away by the ban).

That's as maybe but she cannot be removed from office.  Short of death, resignation or conviction for an imprisonable offence, she can stay on until May 2025 (4-year term).  She is going to try to turn the tables by campaigning for speed awareness and reduction.  Watch out for a city-wide 20mph limit!

1 hour ago, radfordred said:

Bit harsh, she was only a few MPH above the speed limit.

The chap running my speed awareness course had a telling fact. Done for 36mph on London road, he said that, at 36 instead of 30, instead of stopping, I would still be doing 18mph. Thought about that, and trundled along at 18 mph - enough I reckon do do some real damage to a pedestrian, especially a young or frail one.

4 hours ago, radfordred said:

Bit harsh, she was only a few MPH above the speed limit.

But in reality speed cameras are accurate, car speedos are not, so her car must have been indicating more than the MPH she was recorded as doing.

Ok, she should be setting an example but let’s be honest here, how many of us drive like Miss Daisy at less than 30 mph around the county?   I’ve had a few speeding tickets over the years, at just a few mph over a 30 limit and to be honest it’s really crawling at that speed.  I’ve attended a Speed Awareness Course, it was interesting but what the chap told us I knew already.   But back to this Police and Crime Commissioner woman, a waste of time, space and money, appoint someone who knows how the Police work or let the Chief Constables earn their wages. 

• Like 1

Being honest Lizzie I never exceed the speed limit. There maybe the odd occasion when I’ve missed a sign but can hand on heart say that I never knowingly go over the limit. Generally on the majority of journeys speeding will make a negligible impact on your journey time. I would say, agreeing with you, that I am an exception as time and time I am passed when driving on the legal limit to only finish up behind them at traffic lights or build up of traffic. I don’t necessarily agree with all speed limits but they are what they are so drive accordingly. 
As for the police and crime commissioner. Caught once or twice give her promise to tackle speeding would be an embarrassment but perhaps forgivable but 5 times was it. She should go. 
The speedometer in my last 3 cars have all read slightly fast. In other words an indicated 33 on the Speedo equates to 30mph actual speed. I believe this is pretty common in modern cars. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Speedos have always been designed not to under-read in any set of circumstances - various factors can influence the reading.  The speed indicated by a sat nav should be accurate though - try comparing the two and you will typically see a three-four mph difference; maybe more at higher speeds.

2 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

The speedometer in my last 3 cars have all read slightly fast. In other words an indicated 33 on the Speedo equates to 30mph actual speed. I believe this is pretty common in modern cars. 

All cars are like that, deliberately so. Tyre pressure, tread wear etc can make a difference to the accuracy of a speedometer.

Construction and Use regs allow for a 10% difference from true speed to allow for these factors, but must not indicate less than the actual speed. Manufacturers therefore make read them fast.

• 6 months later...
On 7/19/2022 at 8:16 AM, LizzieM said:

I’ve had a few speeding tickets over the years, at just a few mph over a 30 limit and to be honest it’s really crawling at that speed.

Yesterday a 20 year old motorist got caught speeding on our North-South Motorway at 253 kph, that is 157 mph. The speed limit was 70 mph. He was driving a black holden Ute. He was a learner driver under the influence of drugs. His accompanying driver only had a learners permit and the car was not registered.

(Photo from ABC)

A black Holden ute.