The Royal family - are they worth it ?

[, we don't want to be quoted downloaded political internet information that quite frankly no-one gives a toss about, lets hear about Stan and his real reason for contributing to this site.

I happen to be very interested in finding relevant political and other information ,to bring to the sites attention.

Since quitting work I joined the site as recommended by Bip,whose family I knew,(and on whose TV I watched the Queen`s coronation)(no-one else in the Close had a TV other than the rich Bip family)

I write little and quote much as I cannot type ,and hate wasting time

As to the army,when I first went to Uni, I needed extra cash. I joined the 44 para brigade at Kings Rd. Chelsea and had many exciting times visiting Jamaica at the time of great political unrest. Numerous trips to Europe,attended the investiture of Charles in Wales, etc.etc all whilst being paid. Started as a lowly Subaltern finished as an even more lowly captain . An interesting and exciting time in a young man`s life with pay!

Having seen the army at work, I would not have wished the life on myself,and left when my lectureship at Kings College finished and I had to get a proper job!

TBC.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like living in a monarchy and think the moaners, groaners and republicans should put up or shut up. All I hear is 'overprivledge', 'undeserving' and other equally vituperative claptrap. Tear do

I did my army service on Salisbury Plains & exercises in Warcop, Thetford, Sennybridge & Otterburn, then I was based in Munster-lager West Germany. & the medals I received = none at all. I

It’s my wedding anniversary today. 48 years. I wouldn’t change a thing. My wife says she doesn’t regret a single day, she regrets them all.

Stan, do you know much about jamacia in the 1950s- 60s? This has relevance to my grandads younger sister who married someone possibly former diplomat and lived on a plantation out there around that time. All this information is a bit sketchy as told by grandparents - long dead and my father meeting her in very early 60s (he too is dead). It is always unfortunate when you just have a tad of family history with little way of following it up.Especially in our family history with tons of skeletons in the cupboard. I have a very old photo album from my grandfather who was born 1900, with dozens of very young soldiers from the great war, which I scanned and passed on to archives in chilwell for sherwood foresters... Also photos of family members who I also know little about - very annoying.

Excuse the ramble/waffle

C'mon Stan, I wasn't having a go, your life sounds interesting to me, tell us more about yourself and how and why did you switch from the Army to the RAF, what did you do there and why did you go to Oz, you say that you don't like wasting time, but you seem to spend a lot of it downloading political dogma.

Stan, do you know much about jamacia in the 1950s- 60s? This has relevance to my grandads younger sister who married someone possibly former diplomat and lived on a plantation out there around that time. All this information is a bit sketchy as told by grandparents - long dead and my father meeting her in very early 60s (he too is dead). It is always unfortunate when you just have a tad of family history with little way of following it up.Especially in our family history with tons of skeletons in the cupboard. I have a very old photo album from my grandfather who was born 1900, with dozens of very young soldiers from the great war, which I scanned and passed on to archives in chilwell for sherwood foresters... Also photos of family members who I also know little about - very annoying.

Excuse the ramble/waffle

I had several evenings on plantations. One in particular was with an elderly British couple. We dressed. in best bib and tucker. The black servants were immaculate,with white gloves and posh uniforms.Posh silver and white cloths of the highest quality,royal doulton china etc.

The one thing that made it memorable,was that we were given several tins of real Blue Mountain coffee from the plantation.Best still was the journey to the hills by private Jamaica Defence Force helicopter.Good relations with the locals!(cost of fuel on the requisition?)

C'mon Stan, I wasn't having a go, your life sounds interesting to me, tell us more about yourself and how and why did you switch from the Army to the RAF, what did you do there and why did you go to Oz, you say that you don't like wasting time, but you seem to spend a lot of it downloading political dogma.

If I told you that,then I`d have to kill yer!

I had several evenings on plantations. One in particular was with an elderly British couple. We dressed. in best bib and tucker. The black servants were immaculate,with white gloves and posh uniforms.Posh silver and white cloths of the highest quality,royal doulton china etc.

The one thing that made it memorable,was that we were given several tins of real Blue Mountain coffee from the plantation.Best still was the journey to the hills by private Jamaica Defence Force helicopter.Good relations with the locals!(cost of fuel on the requisition?)

Stan, what years was this? I wonder if it would be the same people? My grandfathers sister was named Ada.... sadly I have no idea what her husbands name was. She was born in 1903 if thats any help. I recall my grandmother ( she was mid late 60s when I was born) tellling me that Ada had lots of black servants. My dad recalled as a young adult that they did come and see my grandad and grandma in a chauffered driven posh car in the early 60s poss.I don't think they had any children but can't be sure. So annoying with only half a tale!

• 10 years later...

This Prince Andrew bore-athon is creating more hilarity in those French natives who have an interest in the RU, than even Brexit.

Yet again a Feydeau farce comes to mind - this time even complete with a 'caught with his trousers down.'

It's nothing new. The irrepressible Bertie, later Edward VII, was much worse and his eldest son just carried on the tradition although possibly in a darker manner.

They are human, like the rest of us, and often don't have the sense they were born with.

• Like 2

The royals are no worse...and no better...than anyone else. What sickens me is this constant trial by media, lurid front page headlines and incessant baying like a pack of hounds when they sense their quarry is down, only to lose interest when the next potential scandal crawls out of the gutter. Yellow journalism gone mad.

I have no idea what Andrew has or has not done. I wasn't there at the time, nor am I remotely interested. I will say that the behaviour of the press/media and those who encourage them by subscribing to it only confirms my belief that society is fast disappearing down the moral plughole. 

• Like 8

Here we go. Alex Salmond is next in the media dock. Get lost Andrew, we've found someone else to grill.

I sometimes think that if every male in the workplace who has done some of the things Salmond is alleged to have carried out were to be committed for trial, the criminal justice system would implode within five minutes. 

• Like 1

I was in Australia when the Queen got rid of Gough Whitlam the aussie prime minister it didnt go well with the aussies so youcan see where the power still resides The papers will quickly be brought to heel and the dust settled  meeowed

40 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I sometimes think that if every male in the workplace who has done some of the things Salmond is alleged to have carried out were to be committed for trial, the criminal justice system would implode within five minutes. 

I'm beginning to worry, in my youth I have been known to wolf whistle on more than one occasion ...

18 minutes ago, meeowed said:

I was in Australia when the Queen got rid of Gough Whitlam

It was not the Queen that "got rid" of Gough Whitlam it was the Governor-General Sir John Kerr.

Kerr withdrew Whitlam's commission as Prime Minister under section 64 of the constitution.

The biggest act of bastardy in the history of the Australia parliament.

It's amusing to see the Amercian Lawyer Gloria Allred saying it was right that someone accused of a crime - “whether a Prince or a pauper” - should be examined in court.

Oh how she has very short memory, would that also apply to an American Citizens Wife, who actually admitted to being at the scene of an accident where a death occoured.

I wouldn't take too much notice of Allred and her equally incompetent lawyer Daughter, both have no ethics or integrity.

I think the dismissal dossier by Jenny hocking takes a different view  There was no doubt about the queens involvement by sending the foreign and commonwealth under secretary The records show clear involvement by royalty to protect British interest  meeowed

I suggest that with the current ruling monarchy, which expanding exponentially every year with all its members kept in luxury beyond comprehension, surrounded by sycophantic hand-wringing courtiers and followers, should now be curtailed and allotted a distant mention to history.

The current head monarch, of the one who can’t be touched, a gesture which I find absurd in this, we are told, modern age can only be held to ridicule and which I find as an act distasteful and abhorrent.  

We, as a nation, are often referred to as the sixth richest in the world, though following two world wars and through various governments’ mishandling of our economy, are factually bankrupt.

All members of the ‘clan’, their lands, palaces, mansions, to some even remotely placed in the family still live ‘rent free’, in grand homes and assume their wealth and position as their given rights, should be confiscated and returned to the public purse.

We’ve had them, endured them and financially supported them now let them bow out quietly and disappear to the pages of history.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Alpha said:

We’ve had them, endured them and financially supported them now let them bow out quietly and disappear to the pages of history.

Totally disagree. As for the financially supported bit they cost each of us a couple of quid a YEAR …  Bargain!

As Stuart.C has asked, what do you replace them with?

Baron Boris and his cronies or Corbyn & Co. both would see us in penury, for different reasons, but still broke.

4 minutes ago, radfordred said:

I see Prince Andrew has stepped down from royal duties ............ He will be missed :crazy:

I never had him down as a complete idiot, shows how much I know.

21 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Not a fan of the Royals then?

What would you have them replaced with, or would the Prime Minister be the Head of State?

Stuart. C,

We already have an elected, by vote, a Head of State with a portfolio for governmental management of state affairs. The Prime Minister; over seeing governmental initiatives through their accountable Departmental Ministers. Not a perfect management methodology but until we elect to change the current governmental system we are stuck with what we have.

The so called, Royals, or the firm, are in place as a state figurehead without any portfolio who perform, some could be said, outdated ceremonial duties.

The are there, as it could be suggested, as a courtesy granted by public (Parliamentary Consent) and in theory, though remote, could be voted out of office.  

• Cliff Ton changed the title to The Royal family - are they worth it ?