The Royal family - are they worth it ?

Spanish Queen sets example with £13 Ryanair flight to London

Queen Sofia of Spain has given a lesson in austerity by choosing to fly to London on the budget airline Ryanair for just £13.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like living in a monarchy and think the moaners, groaners and republicans should put up or shut up. All I hear is 'overprivledge', 'undeserving' and other equally vituperative claptrap. Tear do

I did my army service on Salisbury Plains & exercises in Warcop, Thetford, Sennybridge & Otterburn, then I was based in Munster-lager West Germany. & the medals I received = none at all. I

It’s my wedding anniversary today. 48 years. I wouldn’t change a thing. My wife says she doesn’t regret a single day, she regrets them all.

Queen Sofia's budget fare stands in stark contrast to the extravagant sums spent by the British royal family on foreign travel.

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were criticised for spending a reported £330,000 when they flew to New York in a private jet in 2005.

And in April the pair chartered a luxury private jet costing an estimated £80,000 for a five-day tour of Europe to promote environmental issues.

Last year Prince Andrew hired a jet to travel across America at a cost of £118,440.

In April 2008 Prince William caused controversy when it emerged he had used an RAF Chinook helicopter to fly himself and brother Harry to a stag weekend on the Isle of Wight.

Seeing as how she was on "Ryan Air" she would have had to spend £2 every time she used the crapper for a royal wee, so there's another tenner. Add to that their new check in rules and that's another fiver (As long as she remembered to check in on line, and on time !!) Add to that baggage at 20 quid a throw, plus airport taxes , and then multiply it by the total of her entourage, and I think you'll find that it comes to roughly the same as a Queens flight from Northolt to Schipol!!

Also please note that Prince Charles paid for his flights out of his own pocket!!! The Duchy of Cornwall pays his wages not the Tax payer.

Oh I'm a royalist through and through. I love my country and what my country stands for, and the "pomp and circumstance" that that involves, including all the ceremonial occasions. One thing I can't stand though is people who took the £10 ships and still think they know what's best for 'Dear old Blighty'

Beefy, just to let you know,my wife and I have paid our own way to Australia,and even though of pensionable age,never received a cent from our noble UK or Australian state coffers. I am a self funded retiree(do not receive a pension from the state) We have to stand on our own feet out here .

I have held the Queen`s Commission in the British army and R.A.F.and can tell you,the nearer you get to the centre of things the more you despise `royalty' and the clique that maintains the system. I must add here that our present Queen seems to be a standout exception.

Charles is without doubt the most reviled `royal' since his namesake Charles 1(and we all know what happened to him), I`m sure you are looking forward to his and his former concubine`s rule!

Prince Charles cutting travel costs

Britain's Prince Charles, criticized for huge travel bills in recent years, plans to fly British Airways to the Caribbean next month business class.Furthermore, the prince and wife, Camilla, will sail to official engagements on five islands to cut the tour's travel costs, The Sun reported Thursday.In 2005, Charles was criticized for running up a tab of more than $475,000 (380,000 pounds) touring Sri Lanka, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. Regularly scheduled airline flights would have cut the cost to British taxpayers in half, the London newspaper said.

if we didn't have the royal family what we would have would be far worse. Yes some of them should watch their spending..... but you can bet your bottom dollar that Barack is just as expensive to move about.

However, reading not that long ago about the royal family in Holland? (sure that was the country) and they live very modestly, no scandalous gossip about them.

I personally hope that they skip Charles being king as I really don't think he deserves it... praps Liz feels this.....why she hasn't stepped down.

And yes beefsteak, praps you may feel I'm also not able to comment on this as I no longer live there.... but its a opinion on where I come from..... after all haven't you left the good old great britain before?

Also please note that Prince Charles paid for his flights out of his own pocket!!! The Duchy of Cornwall pays his wages not the Tax payer.

Who gave them thousands of acres of Britain to call their own...I didn't. All their huge estates were nicked off the ordinary citizen.

In this 21st century this land should be returned to the people.Not owned by a bunch of mediaeval aristocrats who think the rest of us peasants owe them a living.

You want Royalty...fine...you pay for 'em. I wouldn't leave the telly to watch 'em driving past.

And yes I know the alternatives would turn out to be just as costly,corrupt,and full of their own self importance.

Technically we employ the royal family and therefore pay their wages, fine I don't have a problem with that at all, My employer pays my wages and the last thing I would want is for them to tell me what I could and could not spend my money on, If I wanted to spend it on air travel thats up to me not my employer so stop moaning about the way they spend their money.

Poohbear, you say all the thousand acres of land should be given back to the people it's supposed to have come from in the first place, have you not learned anything from the bloody mess in South Africa when the powers that be did just that, no food, nowhere to live and the place over run with violence,

I tell you, under a dictatorship you would'nt come on this site or any other for that matter to have a good moan and complain about authority you would'nt have a computer to do it on and if you did it would be sensored

Rog

!englandflag!

I haven't mentioned a dictatorship..just that the land should belong to the state not a privileged few.The situation in Zimbabwe is different, seized land has been handed over to cronies...not run properly by the state.

And if I need preaching to I'll go to church...

QUOTE (Ashley @ Jun 3 2009, 07:14 AM) *

stan, did you ever used to play pool for any pub team?

the reason I asked was I joined a team and at every away match there was this guy there who supported whoever we were playing, making remarks about our team players, me included, after so long I was ready to nut him but thought I'd find out what it was about, turned out he'd been in the team but resigned over not be picked, then asked to come back only by then team didn't want him, in the end scotch eddie hit him with a pool cue, just wondered if it was you as you remind me of him

Rog, the Royal family are not the taxpayers employees. If you read back enough, you will find the opposite, yep they own everything, and it's with their grace you live in your house. Read up on "freehold" Land is "loaned" or rented from the Monarch. Only the "veneer" has changed to make it look like you own anything. There are plenty of good books to read up on this sort of thing.

Check out "allodial titles" You will find an allodial title is free from encumbrances ie council taxes, permits etc etc. Only the Monarch has those privileges. So who owns the land your house sits on??? Try the Queen and her family, but you will have to delve into records going back to William to get the full story.

She and her family are the most powerful people on this planet!!

boing! boing! is that the sound of someone getting wound up? and as for someone saying they held the queens commision and calling the royals parasites in same post "oh I say"! as Dot Cotton would exclaim

And we still kicked their bums in the Olympics !!!!!.............. smile2smile2smile2

C'mon chaps, this is getting nasty, and yes, I've been guilty of those offences before, but that was another time and unforgiveable on my part, which I accept and want to forget, but could have been sorted by proper moderator intervention.

Get in there Beefsteak.

Incidentally, I'm intrigued, Stan, as to why you were an army officer then switched to the RAF, how did that become possible and what were the reasons for doing so and why did you want to go to Oz, yet obviously have so much of an attitude as to what happens in the UK without really saying much about your own country, or don't you consider it as such. I have to say that you offer little but rhetoric to this forum and it's quite obvious that many people are getting tired of it.

Whats the point, sorry, but I'm only trying to understand your motives without malice, we've had our spats, but so have many others, lifes too short, this forum is mainly about the past, we don't want to be quoted downloaded political internet information that quite frankly no-one gives a toss about, lets hear about Stan and his real reason for contributing to this site.

I come on here because I'm a moaning old sod, and from the sound of it I'm not alone on here.

I once asked questions about my old school and it's 600 pupils,and got just one reply....so I stick to upsetting the rest of the scroats on here that have nothing better to do than fall out with a computer screen.

Interesting! I have never been against the Monarchy, but it was only when I moved away from the U.K that I really appreciated what a great institution it is. Think about it - when Great Britain wants to put on a show, or send an ambassador somewhere, it is the Royal Family that is called upon, and no matter what they do, or where they go, they are widely reported on in all forms of the press - publicity for the U.K. that is irreplaceable!

Now consider how much money the Royal Family generate in income to the U.K. - the tourist dollars alone are huge - and I guarantee that 50% of the Americans who visit the U.K. ONLY do so because of the Queen! How much does she make from all the folk standing outside Buckingham Palace - yet they all have hotels, buy food, drink and souvenirs!

I think it would be a fair bet that, when all is considered, the Royal Family is much more of an asset to the U.K. than they are a liability!

Long live the Queen!

yes that's true they DO earn more than they cost, (I read a serious report re such) I think it's just jealously of their money and lifestyle? talking of such I heard someone on tv telling of the time he was talking live on radio to victoria beckham, he asked her what her favourite record was, she said some title, and he said by? to which she replied "Oh bye," and put the phone down! !laughing!

Can't fault the Queen for sense of duty...shame about the offspring.

Let's see how popular they are when Charlie becomes king with the adultress on his arm.

I come on here because I'm a moaning old sod, and from the sound of it I'm not alone on here.

I once asked questions about my old school and it's 600 pupils,and got just one reply....so I stick to upsetting the rest of the scroats on here that have nothing better to do than fall out with a computer screen.

Just because only one person can recall your school it doesn't make us "Scroats" as you put it . It means that you had a pretty unique school (Was it approved??) and therefore unavailable to the rest of us mere mortals .

Poohbear,

I had the idea that you were just an ordinary 'grumpy old man' like the rest of us, not set above us mere 'scroats', where do we go from here?

I'm afraid you may have blown your cred' with a few of us scroats!!! !clapping! !congrats!

If you re-read my text you will see that I don't set myself apart from anyone, and consider myself as much of a moaning old git as the rest of you.The difference being my passion is wildlife and not planes,trains, or women. ;)

• Cliff Ton changed the title to The Royal family - are they worth it ?