Where Was This Establisment?

• 2 months later...

B) Yes still going stronge but not as you knew it, see LINK.

BBC web site/Nottingham virtual tour of club.

B) Not a clue on the owner at the time that picture was taken.

B) Have you heard of Ian [Doc] Shellards Acoustic Jam. see link below.

Blues Matters.

post-29-1106913728_thumb.jpg

The bloke who used to own it was Jimmy Etherington the new bloke who now owns it Johnny Moore, used to DJ at the Town Arms at Trent bridge that was the only place to be on a Sunday night 20 years ago !!!

Did go to a 40th birthday party at the cabaret must admit the Slinky Minky Show where very polished and professional and worked very hard to entertain , worth a visit just for the experience !!

But the best night i ever had at the Old Vic was a few years ago when they had a punk night on with 70s punk band vice squad supported by Nottingham's finest Hendrix's sic boy federation , on taking to the stage Hendrix came out covered in red paint which he then daubed all over most of the crowd then proceeded to throw blow up sheep filled with paint at the bar from the stage wrestled a few customers to the floor smashed a few tables and chairs ... a good time had by all . Can not really remember vice squad playing but Bekki Bondage vice squads singer did say this on her web site " The Nottingham show proved to be a 'mad-house' thanks to sic boy federation - Hendrix and the lads are one of the craziest band we've played shows with ;- blow up sheep, showers of beer,bad language and blood splattered sex-toys were part of a nutty evening- and that was just backstage !! Cheers to mr noone and o.b. city. "

http://users.tpg.com.au/big_jobs/vicesquad/news.htm

you must have seen Hendrix around Nottingham he cleans all the windows http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/features/2..._dead_boy.shtml

Jimmy Etherington, yest that was him a Geordie Chap, Thanks

And the Window Cleaner...

notts_faces_hendrix_dead_boy_270.jpgLink BBC

Ahh yes now I know him, thanks for bringing to our attention another nottingham character. I never knew he was in a band. There must be money in cleaning windows in the city? B)

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the link to ' Hendrix' He used to clean my windows at The Tivoli and I was talking about him a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't remember his name!!! I was racking my brains out for days, then I gave up and found this , weird innit

• 1 month later...

I used to visit the Old Vic Music Hall on Saturday nights after the Panthers games in the early/mid eighties. It was a pretty good laugh for a while.

I recall some of the characters that would be in there including Jimmy Etherington whith his Geordie? accent and smart suit acting as compere. He'd sing a song or too as well.

There was a guy who used to jump on stage and do a full blacked-up Al Jolson routine, Mammy and suchlike. The top moment for me was when a quite large lady would get up to do her Mule train rendition, complete with banging a tray on her head in time.

MULE...TRAIN..AH!!

CLIPPETY-CLOP CLIPPETY-CLOP - DOWN THE LINE-AH!

Happy days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 13 years later...

Pete the Feet was a regular entertainer there. Ā We had an ā€˜interestā€™ in the venue at one time and came up from our home in Hertfordshire on a number of occasions. Ā I think Roy Hudd was on stage on the opening night of ā€˜The New Vicā€™Ā andĀ on another occasion George Melly. Ā 

• 7 months later...
On 11/6/2022 at 9:17 AM, radfordred said:

Ā 

Wow ..... And where the original market traders Monday club all started, Jimmy EtheringtonĀ Nottingham legend.

I'm really curious as to wht Jimmy was like - his name has been mentioned a lot to me in relation to the venues he ran where gay people used to drink!

• 2 weeks later...

Done a couple of Monday Clubs and always wonder how they started