School milk.......and Wine

I'm no great fan of Thatcher but getting rid of school milk was a great decision in the eyes of many kids. The only problem is that I'd left school several years before she made the move, but at least the thought was there.

To this day I still can't stand the sight - or smell - of milk on its own.

Sounds like i'm the only one who 'LIKED' school milk....had two most days.........

Will always remember a lad in ''Metalwork''  who thought it was funny to drink half his milk..then when the teacher left the room...he topped it up by peeing in it.........

However the Teacher returned before he had the chance to put it back in the Crate...........Mr Spiers the teacher was very strict about us drinking our milk.................and yes the Lad drank it.......lol

Still see him now and again....but he don't like talking about it...:Shock:

• Like 2

Phil, I loved the school milk at Arno Vale and never minded if it was a bit warm!

Me too Margie. I looked forward to our morning milk, sometimes if there was any left you got seconds. In truth, as a youngster, under 11, living hand to mouth in those days, it was one of the only decent drinks of the day we got. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like milk but it has to be ice cold if I'm drinking it as milk...and none of the skimmed rubbish. In fact, I prefer jersey milk but it isn't easy to find these days.  Otherwise, it has to be hot as in coffee made with milk.

Warm milk always reminds me of walking to primary school in the morning, back in the day when folks boiled milk to make milky coffee. The smell of boiled over milk was quite regularly experienced. 

8 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

To this day I still can't stand the sight - or smell - of milk on its own.

Drunk plenty of milk on its own in my younger days but I do it no longer. As for the smell of it I have never and still cannot tell the difference between milk that is good and milk that has gone off. It just smells horrid - end of!

I can remember one of our youth club leaders always used to take a bottle of sterilised milk (remember them) have a swig out of it, then he used to top up again with Camp coffee essence. Give it a good shake and drink it cold. Possibly an early version of Frappacino.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Possibly an early version of Frappacino.

FUIC Farmers Union Iced Coffee is so popular here in South Australia that a local legend has it that it outsells Coca Cola by 3 to 1. The only place in the world where a milk based drink outsells Coke.

Iced coffee is far too sweet for my taste buy strangely as I get older I find my tastes are changing. For years I only drank "big" reds and was of the opinion that "white wine" was only good for sprinkling on your chips. Still love the big bold shiraz but currently enjoy a Riesling from the Clare Valley or a Viognier from the Eden Valley and a Hunter Valley Verdehelo.

Oz try New Zealand white's like Oyster bay in fact any New Zealand.

Yes Mary, I agree their Sav Blancs are quite good and I usually have some on hand, but given what China has done by increasing tariffs on Australian Wines I am giving our producers my dollars at the moment.

China has also increased tariffs on many of our exported commodities so as far as possible I am consciously avoiding buying anything from China. It is a tough ask and does limit your choices but I am sticking with it. I don't drink Vodka so boycotting Russia is relatively easy, our biggest import from there is fertiliser.

• Like 1

Had a really good wine deal a while back. Aussie reds the Chinese didn't want. Via Laithwaites, the UK wine slurpers snapped them up and very nice, too!  It's their loss and our gain!

This coming weekend is our Wine festival in fact Festa Della Barbera. 3 days along with specialities in food.  

Barbera is our local wine and i wouldnt drink any other. We are surrounded by the vineyards so what is there to not like about it, at least we know exactly where it comes snd who produced it. :laughing:

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Had a really good wine deal a while back. Aussie reds the Chinese didn't want.

Yes Jill, we have had reduced prices for a while too. Penfolds, the producer of what is regarded as Australia's premium wine, Grange, has started producing a premium wine in China for sale into the Chinese market. Not a good idea showing the Chinese how to produce a premium wine, look at how showing them how to manufacture electronics turned out.

I have been a buyer of wine usually from Laithwaites or my local Morrison's. Sav Blanc, Pinot Grigio, either from Oz, NZ, south American, Chile and some eastern European varieties, all whites. Lately, I have found the the Sav Blanc's a little more full bodied, than ussual, on the palate. The pinot's a little harsh and acidic.

I tried a Reisling, going back many years, and WOW! what a pleasant surprise. Smoothe, dry and fruity with a refreshing finish. Morrison's too. Topped up the wine rack. Cheers!

For the last few years Wine Society for most wine  and  Fattoria La Vialla for organic Italian wine.

Cannot really afford wine these days so settle for a glass of Wainwrights or Ghost Ship

• 3 weeks later...

Milk and wine we had both  as school children of st augustine will remember, warm milk dished out by the nuns, then we'd be carted off down the road two by two to take Holy communion, they'd pop a round rice disc in your mouth and give you a drop of wine , the vino taste good so i sneak back in the queue to have another drink , until the priest cottoned on .

Then I'd totter off back to class with the occasional hic !!