No one Sed Owt!

Superb Anne you certainly have hidden talents.

I once won first prize in a crossword competition in the Players Post, a free in house paper.

Bip.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And Arnold.  I’ve always found the sound of the dongs comforting.   When our little dog did a runner from a dog-sitter on Broxtowe Estate a couple of years ago, and then turned up outside our hou

I complained to my doctor about ringing in my ears, tinnitus he said !  

Once Broxtowe is visited, you're never the same again !

My old man won that a couple of times Den. But what a memory jog that was, thanks mate ,I can remember mum and dad sat down on a Saturday morning 10.30 ish for a cuppa and the crossword .Every week it was the Daily Mirror and then Monthly? they would do the Players Post one as well (First prize a fiver ??)

;)

• 3 weeks later...
Do they still have the Spot the Ball in the Evening post?

We used to do that every week..but never won.

We always came close though!

I beleive Spot the Ball stopped decades ago Anne, if my memory serves me right it turned out to be a fix.

Bip. :Kiss:

No way ! don't shatter my illusions :angry: That was the only means of a way out of the normal hum drum life for the working classes in my day,or maybe just enough for a cheap holiday in Skeggy. I feel used & cheapened ;)

Never been very lucky regarding winning money but then again I wouldn’t say I’m much of a gambler, I have this thing about losing money, don’t like to.

Don’t do the lottery, nor the pools, horses don’t interest me, in fact the only gamble I do take with money is Premium Bonds and that’s not what you can say is a gamble, more like an even investment.

I have the maximum you can have, basically meaning if you don’t hit a big prize you are guaranteed to get the interest that you would have had if you had put the sum in a bank or building society.

I like the odd game of bingo now that I have joined the Shaftsbury club here in uptown Sawley where the beer is cheap, well it is in the club.

Paid a visit last night to the club expecting a quiz night. Got a shock when I walked in to find no more than twenty people, twelve of whom playing dominoes; at least I got fed after they had finished, apparently it was a league game.

When I first went in last week I tried the Guinness but was disappointed in the way the manager pored it. I know Guinness has a head but the pint I was given had at least an inch of froth on top, now call me picky if you please but an inch in my book is a little to much fizz.

Last night I tried something different, Hardy and Hanson’s Dark. Very nice first pint served in an over sized glass which was nice, allowed for a nice frothy head, it reminded me of Manns Brown ale of which I use to drink many years ago. You guessed it I went back for two more and thoroughly enjoyed those too, if I had to pick a fault it would be the temperature it was served at, very cold, to cold for it’s own good. I thought of asking the manager if the thermostat could be turned down a notch but thought better of it, well it was only my third time of going in, don’t want to get barred just yet, might be a yearly trip to Skeggy i don't know about, wouldn't want to get barred and miss that, now would I?

Bip.

Don't quote me on this but if I remember correctly our own Mick 2 me was a Manns brown ale (along with his bitter and lime) drinker

;)

Thats true.

I remember someone coming back to me in a noisy Yates.

"I brought you bitter & Lime because the dont sell 'Lansdown"

• 3 weeks later...

I used to go in a pub in Bulwell...up a bit from Woolworths.. can't remember it's name..and with me cheese un onion cob un packet of crisps..

I always used to have a Mann's Brown Ale...it was good.

:(

• 10 years later...
On 7/7/2007 at 1:42 PM, Guest Anne said:

Holding hands we listened as Little John struck nine

The sound echoed loudly, should we go and perhaps dine

Apparently in the right conditions it can be heard 7 miles away? I often hear Little John while in the garden.

DdAgpsQW0AAiHzC.jpg 

48 minutes ago, Brew said:

On a quiet, still night you could certainly hear it in Clifton

And Arnold.  I’ve always found the sound of the dongs comforting.  

When our little dog did a runner from a dog-sitter on Broxtowe Estate a couple of years ago, and then turned up outside our house in Mapperley Park 5 days later, a friend suggested that he knew he lived close-ish to the Little John bell and headed towards it to find his way home.  Incidentally, he had never been to Broxtowe before that fateful trip.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Once Broxtowe is visited, you're never the same again !

• Like 2