As you can see, i have not disappeared, gone bankrupt or spontaneously combusted. I am however, seriously considering moving the family down to the Nottingham area.

I am looking for some advice form the residents of the city as to where is suitable for a young family? Need decent schools, facilities, low crime, open space etc.

We have a budget of about £250,000

Any help would be appreciated.

1FB

Living between Nottm and Derby puts you next to the Motorway/a50/a38 gives you good connections with both cities, as well as Leicester, Loughborough, Birmingham Sheffield, and London.

When I moved here the houses were considerably cheaper than Nottingham.

or even nearby Beeston or Chilwell.

I myself am only ten minutes from the M1 here in Chilwell, but as I listen to the early morning news most mornings there are always hold ups, either at junction 24/25/26 so theres no real advantage living close by a motorway.....so if you are thinking that you will get a quick get away up or down one think again....Also I'm close to the A52 which takes you to Derby.....thats fine if you are prepaired to queue at Pentagon Island for twenty minutes to get through the traffic lights there.....................I'm so glad I don't have to go to work anymore. By the time I get up which is anywhere between 8-30 and 11-00 the roads are empty....Great.......Thanks Imperial Tobacco Pension Fund for giving me the opportunity to retire at 52......

If you have 250 grand to play with you will have no problems getting what you want.......................1fb..............I would let you have a look at mine which is a four bedroomed semi with Gym shower room and good sized gated drive and patio area which has been Plastcreted throughout......room for at least three cars standing aswell as a garage...but I would feel it's not quite what you are looking for being worth only 160 grand.......I would suggest you looked at Wollaton Hall for starters.... !rotfl! you know me 1fb joking again...

But seriously 1fb 250 grand will buy you a lot of house here in Chilwell/Beeston/Long Eaton/Sawley, all very close to all major links...Beeston and Long Eaton are served by the railway too....I nearly forgot to mention this, the Tram is comming this way in the next seven years.. :Friends:

Use link below to look for properties in and around the Midlands..

Rightmove link....

Cheers for that Black Ice, did not realise you were only just around the corner from where the clinic is based.

What is Long Eaton like as a place? I was there las weekend for a session and it seemed nice enough, new houses going up on the outskirts just next to the motorway too.

Your house sounds lovely too, you can't beat a good bit of plastcrete.

250k goes a long way down there? I was under the impression it was an expensive place to live when compared to Derby and Stoke, am i wrong or has the housing market in Burnley just gone so nuts that 250k no longer seems a ridiculous amount of money?

what are the places i really really need to avoid? You know, where the alsations walk around in pairs.

I have not come across any trouble in Chilwell, in fact the cop shop in Beeston closes around six, so you see it's not what you can call an Hot Spot.....

My daughter and son both live out in Sawley only fifty yards away from each other, which is nice, he has only been in his house which is a three bed Detached house with Garage for only just over a year, it was built in the seventies and it cost him 145 grand...so you see property is very cheap compaired to Burnley..

I to am hopeing to move to Sawley in the next two years or so just depends whether a two bed Bungalow comes on the market at the right price....

Mick would be able to tell you what Long Eaton is like for trouble..I again have had no problems when I've been in there for a drink at the weekends but then again I don't go there for a drink on a regular basis.......

Personally I would say that it's very safe to walk around in Beeston/Chilwell/Long Eaton/and Sawley, not like it is in the meadows, St ann's, Carlton, Clifton..but that's only my opinion I could be wrong......if I was you I would keep to the west of the city, forget about the east side....

What about Trowell Park.

My sister used to live there.Nice place too.

Handy for the motorway,A52 and just a hop away from Ilkeston if that takes your fancy.

And not far from the Jag for a Saturday night pint and a sing song

Baz :ph34r:

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't say Burnley is more expensive Black Ice, it is just a surprise that the housing down there seems to be on a par with here. Always under the impression that to move out of this town would cost me too much money, or that for whatever we got for this house we would end up having to downsize.

Think the west side of the city would be better for work as it obviously has better road links. Am down there next week again so will have a look around the areas suggested.

I know Arnold fairly well as i used to have a customer there when i had a proper job. Did not strike me as a place i would wish to live. Not sure why.

What is west bridgeford like?

Ruddington's not too bad, good schools, good connections to the main arterial routes in and out of Nottingham,, only 5 miles from City centre with good buses. Plenty of new houses being built and crime is comparatively low when compared to other areas. Plenty of watering holes too (that must be a plus!)

Having lived in 7 different parts of the City during my lifetime, I'd advocate the following:

Mapperley/Sherwood/Woodthorpe, the 'newer' parts of Carlton, Aspley, Bramcote Moor and Wollaton.

[None of which I've lived in!]

Of the environs I'd opt for Strelley, Nuthall, the 1930's style West Bridgford, Tollerton and, perhaps surprisingly, Hucknall.

Places to avoid would be Burton Joyce (certain odours), Rise Park, and - despite the pleadings of senior members - anywhere west of Beeston.

Clearly its all very subjective and 'one man's meat etc'.......

Cheers

Robt P.

That surprises me, about Burton Joyce.

When I lived down there it was always known as a very desirable place to live.

Providing you could afford the property prices, which at the time were way beyond my means.

In fact, I don't think peasants like me,were even allowed to pass through. smile2

That surprises me, about Burton Joyce.

When I lived down there it was always known as a very desirable place to live.

Notorious for the 'vapours' from Stoke Bardolph Sewage Works.....

Cheers

Robt P.

If you want a good school lots of space and close to the micky 1 then Calverton Village is the place to be. I lived there for 23 year and its a very nice place to live or if you had a bigger buget Epperstone i lived there for a year. Good fishing at Eppo

contry bunking land smile2

GOD I MISS THE CONTRYSIDE !!!!

Wollaton.

Now your talking an just a short stroll to Radford if you fancy a bit of sun .

Catchment to Fernwood school always in top 5

Down side 3 out of every 5 is brought by Asians/Pakistanis/Koreans/Chinese

It gets dark at 4pm even in summer , but you don't get no flies in your kitchen .

Places to avoid would be Burton Joyce (certain odours), Rise Park, and - despite the pleadings of senior members - anywhere west of Beeston.

Cheers

Robt P.

Rise Park is adjacent to me and I cycle there often. Apart from the Asian residents, local mafia, pick pockets and muggers, I don't see whats wrong with the estate. :crazy: