When i was at school any body acting daft or was seen as different were told they would go to rose hill ,i still dont know what rose hill was or where it was located, can anybody enlighten me.

Interesting. I had a cousin 5 years older than me, who suffered from cystic fibrosis (he died at the age of 15). Having started school in Bilborough, he was then in the children's hospital for a lengthy period, and afterwards went to the Arboretum school, which operated on similar open-air principles. I have a feeling that one of the civic cars was used to transport some of the children direct from home to school and back.

My cousin eventually passed his 11 plus at the Arboretum, and went to High Pavement (at Bestwood), before they moved to Cleethorpes (again, doctor's recommendation - sea air).

Thank you Cliffton i find that most interesting in the way things and thoughts have changed over the years ,i have spent a lot of years in the care sector and a lot of changes have taken place,when i first started out i worked for a short period at aston hall and some patients as they were called then were still being restrained in straight jackets.Just shows comments you make as children seem cruel but really you dont know what you are on about ,obviously i suspected it was a speicial needs school but wasnt sure if it even exsisted have not heard it mentioned since i left school,incidently was st mathias in st annes .

As kids we all thought that Rose Hill was a "Daft School", thick kids were normally sent there.

PC wise nowadays we can't say that, we have to say "Children with learning difficulties" instead.

My ex sister in law went there !

• Upvote 1

It is still there on St Matthias Road, St Anns, drove past there recently and it was being renovated.

BBC News - Work on £8.6m Rosehill School revamp completed

In the 60s, unkindly a 'daft gal' was referred to as 'our Lill from Rosehill'

• Upvote 1

interesting that school is for autism i dont know if autism was heard of when i was at school,i do know that some people with autism are far from being thick , they can be quite artisic through playing musical insruments or painting etc,thanks for info

And here's Ellis with those doors wide open.The whole thinking then was that fresh air and sunshine was of huge importance for the health of children.Most schools in the area were built with this in mind...Guilford,Whitemoor etc.

20p5hv.jpg

2hcdgkn.jpg

• Upvote 1

When I was working in security, we handled the Alarm Responses for the old Rosehill Special School on St Matthias Road.

A couple of times, it was a past student, who just wanted to be there again as he missed it so much. A strapping lad, who knew no pain, poor kid.

We and the police could not move him, and we had to fetch the distraught elderly parents to site each time.

Eventually they moved away from Nottingham, so that if the boy sneaked out of his house again, he would not know how to get to Nottingham and the school.

So sad for Glen and his parents.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 years later...

Does anyone remember Rosehill special school ?  i can't remember where it was but i recall top of donkey hill (bluebell hill ) one of those roads off there 

Still there (St Matthias Rd).  From their website:

WELCOME TO

ROSEHILL SCHOOL

It is a pleasure to welcome you to Rosehill School, an outstanding special school for 115 pupils aged 4-19 living with Autism and a range of associated communication, social, sensory and learning differences. We are committed to and passionate about the learning and progress of our pupils.

• Upvote 1

They sent my brother to that school, God knows why , i was as daft as him as a lad ,but i turned out alright ,but he enjoyed it despite the stigma of being labelled a rosehill bright spark !