Nottingham buildings at risk

Over nearly 20 years Nottinghamshire County Council has been carrying out regular condition surveys of all listed buildings in the county to identify buildings under threat from neglect and decay.

• 1 year later...

I wish they'd do something with 41 Pilcher Gate - it's been boarded up for years and would be stunning if restored.

1043672678_959b77eeb2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Think i like the old 41 Pilcher Gate .
140511338bfe108b797buj1.jpg

An appeal is being launched to save the "historic treasures" of Notts.
Nottingham Civic Society wants people to suggest heritage sites that are in a state of disrepair and in need of protection - anything from broken war memorials to boarded up mill buildings.
It could mean important properties such as 41 Pilcher Gate in the Lace Market - the oldest house in the city - could be given extra support from English Heritage.
The plea comes ahead of a national drive by English Heritage to create the first register of the country's neglected or decaying historic treasures and introduce new ways to save them.
Its Heritage At Risk project, to be launched on Tuesday, July 8, will make England the only country in Europe to have a comprehensive knowledge of the state of its heritage and the analysis to protect it.
Hilary Silvester, chairwoman of Nottingham Civic Society, said: "The house in Pilcher Gate was used for many years as a lace merchant's house.
"Then it was closed and someone proposed to tear it down and put up an apartment block, but many people opposed that.
"With any building, the longer it stands empty, the more likely it is to become derelict."
Pilcher Gate was not included in the Buildings at Risk Register scheme because it is Grade II listed.
Metropolitan Housing is currently awaiting a decision on plans for conversion and extension of the building to create two ground floor commercial units and eight self-contained apartments, following partial demolition.
Mrs Silvester said these plans offered some hope to retain most of the building, which has become dilapidated.
She said: "Local authorities have the power to put enforcement orders on owners to force them to repair their properties, or make them safe.
"But firstly we need them identified so English Heritage can put pressure on the local authorities.
"We want to hear about sites in Nottingham, Greater Nottingham and the county."
Mrs Silvester said other sites that could feature on the Heritage At Risk register include the old Hardys and Hansons Brewery in Kimberley and the former Judge's
Lodgings near the Galleries of Justice in High Pavement, the Lace Market.
She said the Judge's Lodgings was also privately owned and, since its last use as the old Notts Archives building, had become run down.
The Heritage at Risk project will extend the Buildings at Risk Register to include scheduled monuments, archaeology, historic landscapes, parks and gardens, places of worship, conservation areas, battlefields and even maritime wrecks.
Dr Simon Thurley, chief executive of English Heritage, said:
"Our heritage is a finite resource and if we don't act, these things won't be here for our grandchildren."

I see the Judges Lodgings on High Pavement has now got a 'For Sale' sign on it. What do you reckon - another bar or exclusive hotel / apartments?

• 1 month later...

It strikes me that anything to do with lace or the true heritage of Nottingham is out of favour. Apparently all the costume/lace museum is packed up and hidden. Why? There are clubs and societies for everything but that, and now it is all being forgotten and hidden away.

It strikes me that anything to do with lace or the true heritage of Nottingham is out of favour. Apparently all the costume/lace museum is packed up and hidden. Why? There are clubs and societies for everything but that, and now it is all being forgotten and hidden away.

If I remember correctly, the plan was to move all into one venue - but you're right it's gone very silent.

• 3 years later...

I see the Judges Lodgings on High Pavement has now got a 'For Sale' sign on it. What do you reckon - another bar or exclusive hotel / apartments?

Caught English Heritage Swindon Wilts reading this

:)

Any update on these buildings?

• 4 years later...

FFS, they'll have students living in the Council House next.

Is there nothing this looney, untrustworthy and traitorous City Council won't stoop to in order to make a quick quid .

• Upvote 1

Oh no, not the Guildhall! It's a historic building. Chulla once got fined ten Shillings in these for firing an airgun without a licence.

• Upvote 2

We could have had a beautiful Market Square surrounded by Fothergill and others architecture for our beautiful historic city.

Frontages resembling Shrewsbury or Chester. But no, 60's and 70's desecration prevailed.

Got bound over to keep the Peace' in the sum of £40 for one year,in the old Guildhall 1961............and i have ever since,well mostly lol.

• Upvote 1

My first & last appearence was in 1968, juvenile court. Not displaying L plates properly on a motorcycle, £1 fine + 1 licence endorsement.

Got a good belting off the "old woman" too cos she had to accompany me as I was a juvenile !

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...