Yeah there definitely was a PDSA, we used to take our cats there. It was on the right hand side as you headed into Nottm

My brother once skidded off the bottom of Dunkirk flyover in ice in the early 70’s and demolished a lamppost. He was in a coma for 5 days. The ambulance man said if he had been wearing a seatbelt he wouldn’t have survived. He did get thrown through the windscreen which as it happens was a benefit. His girlfriend got thrown across the road and broke her leg but managed to crawl over to see if he was ok. He had only dropped me off at the Union on Trent Bridge minutes earlier. 

Talking of the flyover brings me back to the good 'owd 53 service. With my conductor, John Devine (everybody called him Andy) we were coming from Clifton and approaching the said flyover. The traffic in front started slowing up so I applied the brakes, when suddenly the air pressure warning alarm shot up. It was like a semaphore arm and indicated loss of air, which also affected the gears. I managed to move over to the nearside left turn lane and yanked the hand brake on !!! It didn't stop us but we coasted left  round the island and came to a stop on University boulevard. Some passengers were groaning that I'd gone the wrong way and didn't I know the route. My mate, bless him, just yelled at them and said, "He's just saved yer bloody lives"!! He then went on to explain what happened. I had to go and find a phone, to call it in. (I think I've related this before).

• Like 1

HI B you have just passed you H/S test 

WELL DONE.

HI B ME AGAIN  !!!!

Seriously though if you had not thought quickley there would have proberly have been a few lives lost.

I think most of the people just take bus drivers for granted they don't know what training you have to go though,

I do think the worst thing that could ever happed is when you do kill a person/child in an accident, because the feeling is with you for the rest of your life. Times when it's not your fault it's still there. 

Just a little story. When the tram started running from Hucknall to Nottingham, a tram near the TR  stop ran into a chap who had been out for the night and the man was killed. The driver must on each morninig wake up and think about this. The other part of the story is we knew the man's mum and dad of the man who had been knocked down. They had been trying for a baby for years and finaly at the age of 40ish she fell pregant and had a little boy. Later this was the man who was the first person to be killed by the tram. 

I worked at Sherwood depot in the eighties and drove the 53's, they went from Arnold to the top end of Clifton, can't remember the exact route as it changed several times. On a Sunday in winter it was the most boring route as you had to stick to timing points and wait for several minutes.

Denshaw, I'm talking about the 53 twenty years before your route.

I remember when they first started and I was a conductor back in the early 60s. First journey was out of Bilborough depot, down Beechdale Road and turn left on Western boulevard and start picking up straight away. The starting point was a lay by bus stop at the end of Valley Road. The route followed the boulevards, down to Dunkirk Island, turn round for return journey. One thing that does stick out in my memory was when the route was extended to Clifton and we started from Valley Road, on a Sunday. By the time we reached Derby Road island I'd had to refuse 8 pushchairs as there was no more room for any more. I reckon everybody was off to visit Aunty/grandma/the in-laws etc, for a Sunday afternoon visit on this new service. My poor driver, Joe Handley, was 40 minutes late on our first trip !

3 hours ago, mary1947 said:

HI B you have just passed you H/S test

Mary1947, wots an H/S test when it's at home? Or am I missing summat. :Shock:

Beekay                            HEALTH & SAFTEY   now days you need a H/S for every thing sorry proberly got carried away as part of my job was going round  checking that salon's were following all  Health & Safety so our juniors were safe.

On 6/20/2022 at 9:03 PM, MRS B said:

Yeah there definitely was a PDSA, we used to take our cats there. It was on the right hand side as you headed into Nottm

Hi Mrs B the PDSA is still there, 

QMC accident & emergency    When I was teaching at NHTA  (for Beekay Nottingham Hairdressing Training Agency) one of the young trainee's thought it would look good if he put s staple though his finger. I sat with him from 10 30 till about 5-00 in the evening then he asked me If I would take him home as he did not have any bus fare. (Young People)

Hi Mary

Goodness that reminds me of scratching your arm with a compass prong (whatever the technical term was, the bit you put in before you drew the circle) and then filling the mark with ink. V basic tattooing I guess. Were we. the only weird people  that did this at school or was it supposed to be “cool” at the time. Nothing to do with self harming, just was the thing at the time. 

Wasn't most of the site previously occupied by W J Simms, Sons & Cooke, the building contractor? I think their address was Spring Close. 

It was mentioned under the Saturday Night & Sunday Morning thread that Simms' board was prominent towards the end of the film when Arthur and Doreen are discussing the future. She wants to live in a new house like the ones being built. l have always thought the estate you can see was Bestwood Park Estate under construction. Am l right? 

1 hour ago, Newarker said:

Wasn't most of the site previously occupied by W J Simms, Sons & Cooke, the building contractor? I think their address was Spring Close. 

Yes it was them.

Lenton Times yet again comes up with the evidence.   https://www.lentontimes.co.uk/streets/spring_close_area.htm