St ann's well area - pre demolition

Hi David there is a web site called St Ann's pre demolition and bits has every thing on there that you need to know. If you are a St Ann's person you join by saying where you lived and which school you went to. I was born and bred up St Ann's on Norland Rd wnt to Board School then Sycamore, have two brothers. 

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to St annes well area - pre demolition

Thanks Cliff Ton  the video's are good but some after looking at them made the people who lived up St Ann's look realy from one of Dickens Novel's but it was not half as bad as some of the video's made out, I was born and bred up St Ann's. The council said house's unfit for human habitation just because most of us did not have bathrooms and had outside loos, no double glazing, no central heating. The council classed it as slums. bu we had a great community of folk. Each Saturday women would be washing , scubbing there front door steps, sweeping the street, pulling up odd weeds ect. If someone passed away there was always a collection for flowers to be sent from the street/road. Shopping delivery is not a new thing you would go down to you local co-op and your shopping came to your door =, plus milk.bread was deliverd every day. ps milk cart was first pulled by horse. Children could play out till 10 00at night and felt safe. If you misbehaved the local bobby would give you a clip around your ear. When some one gave birth all the women would help the midwife and the men would help by going down to the local to wet the baby's head. I could go on and on, but St Ann's was a community like no other and you will never get that back.

last but not least   it would be interesting to find out what happened to the young folk of St Ann's i myself went on to have 2 hair and beauty salon's and ended up a lecture at college, four of my family went to universty and on to be teachers my two brothers, one ended up in the RAF and worked on Vaulcons  so this is just an example of what the council said that we did not have good education, as we lived in slum's

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@mary1947 you are so right about the brilliant community spirit st anns had, and not many wackos about back then kids stayed out late , so late you mam at to fetch you in.

We didnt turn out so bad living in those slums did we ? I think i look back on my childhood with fond memories and feel sorry for todays kids 

I left school no qualifications,  worked in the horseracing industry as a groom for 14 yrs , had afew unskilled jobs , met my wonderful filipina wife , sold our house in london , and retired in athe Philippines,  i only have one sister left in bulwell , but i loved those st anns days , it certainly gave us character building and survival skills !

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to St ann's well area - pre demolition