Living without a landline

At the moment I'm paying BT for broadband....... and landline which is hardly ever used.

They've given an option to renew the contract without landline, which would make sense.

Has anyone else learned to live without landline ?

I make most of my calls on the landline which is ex directory. I don’t give out my mobile number to all and sundry so I only answer to those on my caller list. Many of the landline calls are nuisance ones though where I hang up and put them on the barred list.

Used to have two tins cans and a piece of string pulled very tightly between the two parties holdin them,

Of course we were only little nippers back then !

We need a landline but we do have a contract with vodafone which is very convenient as regards free calls national and international. But do we need it? Yes we do because we cant depend on mobiles where we live. There is very little coverage as we are on a hill in a valley which means we have a hill at the front and at the back due to all the vineyards that are situated in the best areas. Selfish people in the year dot when the vines were planted they should have realised that progress would eventually come to this area.:rotfl:

Cliff Ton. We got rid of our landline when BT went digital as we only had it to run the broadband before. They reduced our monthly bill, now paying £24.99 

• Like 1

I hung on to my landland as being a a rural area, the mobile signal can be marginal. However when I upgraded my mobile it could do calls over WiFi so the poor mobile signal wasn’t an issue and I did away with landline. I use pay as you go with Asda and have unlimited calls and texts for £5 a month. 

Tell me more Lets., I've just paid a £226 bill and I hardly make any calls at all.

Could it make any difference being connected to Lifeline' which is a type of monitoring system. Any advice you can offer, I would be grateful. Anything to get my bill down. Didn't realise you could get BT Internet only either.   B.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Living without a landline

Beekay that’s a lot of money, I have my mobile (own phone bought after my other one fried when I fell in the canal, that’s a whole new story!)   for free txts and calls for £8 a month with O2 and free data which I never use (only because it confuses me!) 

The £24.99 pm is for the internet for the house use with landline disabled.

Lifeline could be raising the bill, you need to investigate mate.

What exactly is the £266 for?, it seems exorbitant. Lifeline alarm system is only around £16 a month. Are you paying annually?

18 hours ago, Beekay said:

Tell me more Lets., I've just paid a £226 bill and I hardly make any calls at all.

Could it make any difference being connected to Lifeline' which is a type of monitoring system. Any advice you can offer, I would be grateful. Anything to get my bill down. Didn't realise you could get BT Internet only either.   B.

I am not familiar with the ‘lifeline’ system but just Googled it. It appears you need a landline for it to function so you’re tied to one. You don’t say how long a period your £226 bill was for but it seems very high. I believe there are some mobiles that have an emergency button that one push will dial a pre determined number which if you have a reliable contact may be an option but if your confident with lifeline, it’s perhaps best to stay as you are but explore why your bill is excessive. 
as for my Asda mobile. It’s pay as you go. I pay £5 per month for what they call ‘a bundle’ which gives unlimited calls and texts plus a small amount of data. 

I think my first move will be to contact BT to find out what's to do. I've never been contacted to say my contracts coming to an end or given the opportunity to change my services/contract. Must admit I'm guilty of paying by Direct Debit, so never think about it. I think it's time to explore other phone suppliers and their options. Trouble is, it's a minefield out there and I've no idea how to go about it. Thanks for the feedback folks...   B.