Hello there - Hey Arnold

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Intelligence has nothing to do with the ability to read, spell or write. I taught adult literacy for some years and was often amazed at the resourcefulness of those who left school totally bewildered

Jill you’re right about being dyslexic. My hubby was diagnosed in the Army, never at school where he came out with zero qualifications. His 4 brothers and the care and foster homes he was in reckoned

HEY ARNOLD,,   The Westminster Bank / builders was Thomas they had a showroom with merchants at the back and also built houses around Arnold. Thomas also built the garage and shops at t

On 7/19/2022 at 6:35 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Not sure if I've ever done this before; the length of Cheltenham Street,  and the two sides of Bell Terrace in the 1930s.

ERyWrTE.jpg

CT, don't suppose you have anything a bit higher up Arnold Road?  In early 1960s we lived in an old detached stone house called Stoneycroft sitting in an acre of land, surrounded by lawns and a pear tree orchard, between Wilton St and Wallis St.  Later demolished and Spreckley and Evans printers built on the site.  The nearby Stoneycroft Rd was no doubt named after the old house.

A warm welcome to Mr Mrs Arnold from Derbyshire. 

Do keep posting enjoy the site, you will soon find your way around. 

Enjoy

11 hours ago, The Engineer said:

CT, don't suppose you have anything a bit higher up Arnold Road?  In early 1960s we lived in an old detached stone house called Stoneycroft sitting in an acre of land, surrounded by lawns and a pear tree orchard, between Wilton St and Wallis St.  

Is that the place which was almost (not quite) opposite Park Tavern ?

Yes.  It was bounded by Arnold Road, Wallis Street and Wilton Street.  It was number 77-79 IIRC. There was a Bulwell stone wall all around, with broken glass set into the top to deter trespassers.  There was a gravel driveway from Arnold Road up to the house and a path from the house to a side gate on Wilton Street.  There were stables around the back.

Mam got a funny look when she went to a local GP, being told "That's Dr Keavney's house!" (don't know if he was the owner or a previous tenant - we were renting it).

Mam told me it was one of a pair that Mr Pearson (dept. store) had built for his two daughters, the other one being further down Arnold Road on the other side, somewhere around Rosebery Street.

• Like 1

Dr.Keavney had a surgery at 1, Bailey Street, Basford. His son took over when he retired, (Keavney jnr.). It then became a medical centre. We stayed as patients with them for 20 years, until we moved  to East Sussex.

28 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

Yes.  It was bounded by Arnold Road, Wallis Street and Wilton Street.

Not exactly hi-res, but I think this is it. It's on the extreme edge of a Britain From Above photo in the 1930s. I've marked Park Tavern as a reference point.

ZlY35f8.jpg

• Like 2

Always wondered about that house Engineer thanks for the info....

Although born and grew up on Bestwood estate (Andover road end near Arnold road).......i have so many memories of Arnold road all the way down to Southwark street and Basford crossings....

Park Tavern was my regular pub from teenage years to early 30s when i left Nottingham for a few years.........Dad was born in an old cottage opposite the house in 1924 ........

Grandma and Grandad lived there next door to the Tavern....

Had relatives on Cheltenham and Wallis streets.....Mam and Dad got married at St.Aidens in 1944....also one of my sons in the 90s.....

• Like 1

Eyup benjamin what number cheltenham street did your relatives live at? we lived at no 17 from 1986-96.

Beekay dr keavney was also our doctor when we lived in old basford would have been the junior i think.

Thankyou for welcoming us to the site mary1947, i am trying to get through some of the many topics on here & hopefully contribute to them.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Here's another of the same house from a different angle (arrowed) surrounded by trees. Park Tavern is the white building in the lower left.

e0qKx36.jpg

Interesting that the pear tree orchard (Wallis Street side, below house in this view) is more evident on this photo.  I wonder now whether Spreckley and Evans bought it for redevelopment and rented it out to us in the interim.  We were only there for about a year but I formed happy memories of living in what seemed a massive house with gardens, coming from a 2/3 bed mid terrace in Bobbers Mill (Grundy Street).

3 hours ago, RadFordee said:

Eyup benjamin what number cheltenham street did your relatives live at? we lived at no 17 from 1986-96.

Cant remember the numbers Radfordee....their name was Barnes and only lived there a short time in the 60s............

You may recall a family called Fewkes....Harry was a life long friend who sadly passed away about 5 years ago.....however his wife still lives there (Jackie) see here often even now in Bulwell........

On 7/18/2022 at 7:43 PM, LizzieM said:

Hi there Hey Arnold, Welcome to Nottstalgia.  
I lived in Arnold from 1958 to 1975 (up the posh end smile2)  

In a nutshell ……. Attended Kingswell Junior School and then Carlton Le Willows Grammar, worked for a few years in New Basford and left Nottingham in 1975.  Returned in 2004.  

Lizzie you state that you went to Carlton Le Willows did you do French as one of your subjects ? If so what was your teachers name please.

@mary1947  I was at Carlton le Willows (about 6 years before Lizzie!). I started there on 1954.  My French teacher was Mr Bates for 5 years, then Miss Squires for the next year

I was just asking as my cousin Julie taught French at Carlton le willows, her surname was Tomkins, when I think about though now Julie would be aged 70 this year, so I am going to stop digging. As Julie was younger that us mature ladies.

Just another question ladies Master had a cousin at Carlton le Willows he told me to ask if you knew him, (he would be around our ages) his name was Barry Seven.

@mary1947Your cousin must have been teaching there after 1973, the year I left, as the French teacher was still Eve Prager then. That was the year it became a Comprehensive school, with the merger of the Grammar and the Tech.

@mary1947 Sorry, I don’t recognise that name.  It’s possible that your relative was at Carlton le Willows Technical Grammar, next door to the Grammar.  We Grammar kids didn’t mix much with that lot ;)