Hello there - Hey Arnold

I didn't know there was a side gate on Leslie Road, RadFordee. I don't think I ever went round there. Always used the front entrance and the rear entrance (now blocked) if we went out at lunchtime which was only allowed from the fourth year onwards unless you had permission to go home for lunch.  They were very keen on Punctuality! 

You're absolutely correct. Manning, even during my time, was exactly as it was built in 1931 and, apart from the two storey sixth form science block built outside the gym changing room, a tv that rarely worked and a few dodgy electric cookers in the DS room, its resources were  never updated. Many of its textbooks were pre WW2.  Most secondary moderns of that era were far better resourced.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Intelligence has nothing to do with the ability to read, spell or write. I taught adult literacy for some years and was often amazed at the resourcefulness of those who left school totally bewildered

Jill you’re right about being dyslexic. My hubby was diagnosed in the Army, never at school where he came out with zero qualifications. His 4 brothers and the care and foster homes he was in reckoned

HEY ARNOLD,,   The Westminster Bank / builders was Thomas they had a showroom with merchants at the back and also built houses around Arnold. Thomas also built the garage and shops at t

I could have gone to C le W but it was the first year of opening, I didn’t want a co-ed, Mellish was long established and I knew people already there. In addition it was easily accessible by a short walk to Daybrook station and a just four minute train journey! I thoroughly enjoyed my years there and have no serious complaints about my education.

I had to pay to send our son and daughter to the High Schools to get the same quality education I got in the state system!

@philmayfield  I LOVED being at a Co-Ed school, especially after the second form when tne boys seemed to have magically become a lot more interesting!

If you  had chosen C le W we would have travelled to school together on the number 25.  Who knows ….

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I had to pay to send our son and daughter to the High Schools to get the same quality education I got in the state system!

We made the same decision for our two boys, they were at Berkhamsted School.  When our eldest brought a letter home, at the age of 7, from the local Primary School, informing us that the next term there would be 38 in his class we moved him and his younger brother to a Prep School with only 8 in each class.  They would never have got on so well at University and business if we hadn’t made that choice.  They had a good education, made life-long friends, played lots of sport, with Games 3 afternoons a week, were at school 6 days a week too.  It was a real traditional school, with morning assembly every day and teachers wearing gowns.  In fact, just how C le W was back in my day.  Certainly worth any sacrifices we had to make to make it happen. 

Hey Arnold

The teacher may be a good teacher, but some time it takes longer for things to sink in, A teacher frind of mine always used to say if you have a good memory then its easy for you. Do you remember whan you when you went to school all year, than at the end of the year you took an exam How many of your came in the first 5 these exams were mostley, based on memory.  The  NVQs came along. If you was slow to take information in it was a good system as your were being assed all though the year, yes there were exams  at the  end,   but there was only small parts of

the subject needed as the evidence collected though the year was part of the qualification. You could also ask questions to test if the stundent did not seem confident in the subject.

Jill If you go on to google maps & up gregory boulevard from hyson green end turn left into leslie rd & between the 2nd & 3rd houses on the left hand side is a big gap now covered by a pair of wooden gates is where the side entrance was.

@mary1947 I understand and totally agree with you, different people learn at different speeds. Some will pick things up very easily and some less so and a good teacher/trainer will understand this and recognise those that aren't picking things up. Then they can try to identify what help they need.in order for them to progress. 

• Like 1

@RadFordee.  

So there is! All the old entrances have been blocked or moved. You would remember the footbridge across Gregory Boulevard. That has also gone. Traipsing out of the back entrance, up Stanley Road en route to Noel Street swimming baths in the pouring rain. Walking in crocodile and being barked at to stop talking!

I'm glad those days are over!

Yes jill remember the bridge well & the trek up to the baths hated that too the water always seemed freezing to me & then the trek back with wet hair on winter days yuk.

And yes i,m glad those days are over too, i often have friends say to me they would love to go back to their school days, there is no way on earth that i would go back there!

• Like 1

I would love to go back to my school days, loved it and would be a lot (a real lot!) younger of course. My old headmistress at Primary died a little while back, she was over 100 and I was actually quite sad. Happy memories for me, although reading past posts others really hated how they were treated. 

From a male point of view, I had some decent times at school, (as long as we didn't get caught smoking in the bike shed). Had some decent teachers. We never had anything like homework or a foreign language. All in all, our school was 'Survival of the fittest'. I remember my first year there after moving from Douglas Road junior, we thought the fourth year and leavers were giants ! My eldest brother, Keith was still there, but he never had anything to do with me as it wasn't the done thing to befriend little uns. But when he left, I felt abandoned. Didn't last long though.

@LizzieM Sorry it's taken a while to reply, @RadFordeehas had my nose pressed firmly against the grindstone!! Unfortunately my dad died young in 1990 but now that you've said it I remember Westminster were the builders, but I don't remember any names he might have mentioned. 

To be honest since my mum died in 2000 I don't really have a reason to go back to Arnold, no close family that I'm in touch with, so it is nice talking to someone from the old homestead.

What shops/buildings do you remember? Starting at the Greyhound and walking down Front Street -

Toy shop (Hallams Lane)

Swimming baths

Library 

Simpsons furniture shop

Laundry 

Arnold Liberal club

Bakers (Can't remember the name)

Fords (clothing and household goods)

Gearbox car spares

The Northampton shoe company

Pork Farms

The British school for boys and girls (derelict and I used to run past it as fast as I could convinced it was haunted)

Threepenny bit church

Arnold sports shop

Rediffusion shop

Old Baptist Chapel 

Co-op department store

Hatter's chip shop

The Time Centre jewellers 

Fishmongers (Can't remember the name) with the Canny Scot restaurant upstairs above it

Rowbotham's the butchers (I believe this is where Woolworths used to be)

Cross Keys

TSB Bank

Woolworths 

Victor Value supermarket

Mrs. Paviors sweet shop

Landers bread shop

Police station

Horse and Jockey

Eat Out chip shop

Merrin's bike shop

Dale's wallpaper

Lord Nelson pub

Palmer's Shoe shop

Laundry

Blue Circle chip shop 

Working mens club

Hardware shop

Robin Hood and Little John

This isn't exhaustive and I know I've missed loads, some won't have existed for you but I hope it sparks off some memories 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

And to think I've got a crap memory according to my other half @RadFordee!!

just a couple more Fine Fare Stanley Dennis (Large upstairs Salon).Was livilg in Daybrook first 2 years married and use to shop in Arnold.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

What shops/buildings do you remember? Starting at the Greyhound and walking down Front Street -

Toy shop (Hallams Lane)

Swimming baths

Library 

Simpsons furniture shop

Laundry 

Arnold Liberal club..........

I've just done that walk on Streetview. I only know the area slightly but your description made sense !

For anyone else who wants to try it, start here....https://goo.gl/maps/BGV6tFRNYcnB38Fv7

HEY ARNOLD,,

The Westminster Bank / builders was Thomas they had a showroom with merchants at the back and also built houses around Arnold.

Thomas also built the garage and shops at the far end of Front st / Coppice road corner and ran the garage.

Think there were 2 Thomas brothers. (T & T ?)

Shoe shop nearby, now a chip shop.

Arcadia sweet shop next the the Bonnington cinema.

The Bakers were called Sulleys.

I delivered papers for Lodge newsagents (64-67) (formerley Bagelleys?) next door.

Jewellers

Jeans wool shop.

Elvins Greengrocer

Pet shop

Anthony hardware

Boots on the corner (later became Wilson Travel) opposite Ebenezer church.

Opposaite Lodge was Watsons newsagent.

Chambers Pork butchers nearby, owned by 2 brothers, still there today except their bakery / prep area is just down the road from where I live now. Not the Bulwell Chambers, tho' maybe distant related.

• Like 2