• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This image shows the structure under Upper Parliament Street which can still be seen in the Victoria Centre underground car park.

Spent Christmas Eve afternoon in The Dog, rammed, jammed solid, the last bastion of the working class, good time had by all, lots of hugging & squeezing    

Well I'm not going to fight over it, but if the picture at #23 was any earlier 1960 it should be possible to see the attached somewhere in the middle of that hoarding - probably where the bit that sta

The New Welbeck? came to mind?

That OD&P must have stood on the site of your first photo Kev?

Which is another ornate building lost to the Nottingham vandal architects of the 70s

The New Welbeck? came to mind?

Actually, The New Welbeck was the one on Milton St I think Mick. Discussed here before? Berni place.

The one across from the original Dog had a different name in my time visiting...

Mick so to be pedantic but that photo in #23 is a lot earlier than 1971. That isn't a hording around the Vic Centre works , that's 'the bridge' over the railway line, and they're 'Trolley bus wires over the road and they all went in the 60's.

I'd say it was somewhere nearer 1950s.

And yes we have had this discussion a while back as we were trying to decypher what was written on a poster (Or similar) that was on 'the bridge' in another photo.

Wrights Directory Nottm 1898/9

29 Lower Parliament street...The Original Dog and Partridge (Albert Freeman) as in the 1890s Picture the Past....Now gone.

18 Lower Parliament Street...Old Dog and Partridge (William Cooper) opposite Boots (ish) ...still there.

665544_zps403b77be.jpg

Mick so to be pedantic but that photo in #23 is a lot earlier than 1971. That isn't a hording around the Vic Centre works , that's 'the bridge' over the railway line, and they're 'Trolley bus wires over the road and they all went in the 60's.

I'd say it was somewhere nearer 1950s.

And yes we have had this discussion a while back as we were trying to decypher what was written on a poster (Or similar) that was on 'the bridge' in another photo.

I'd say no earlier than 1960. This picture shows no sign of the side entrance to Vic station that was right on Parliament Street bridge. The Wikipedia entry for Vic station has a photo dated 1959 showing the south end footbridge that led to the Parliament Street entrance. The timber structure remained in situ for some time after it was closed and locked up (well before the station itself closed) but I am pretty sure it and the south end footbridge had been demolished by 1964 at the latest.

:) Regarding the photograph @ #23, I agree with Beefsteak and say the date taken was sometime in the 50's.

The hoarding definately fronted the Victoria Station and I well remember was there for an irritable length of time - in fact it looked rather scruffy.

I had a friend name of Sheila Cook and her father was a ticket master at the station and based somewhere near here; as young girls we'd take a peek in past the hoarding to see if we could spot Sheila's dad at work.

The posters that you speak of had something to do with advertising East Coast Holidays by train - mainly Skegness. :)

As the person who originally posted #23, I've looked at where I got it from and it gives no date, but I'd agree with everyone else who says it's around the early 50s. The space with the boards we know is now Boots, but before Vic Centre was built that site was a supermarket.

According to Picture the Past this is it in 1960

burton60.jpg

Clearly called Burtons. Was it connected to the Council House Burtons?

But by 1963 it had become Fine Fare

fine62.jpg

The side-street just to the edge of both photos is the same street going down the side of the Dog & P in #23

Well I'm not going to fight over it, but if the picture at #23 was any earlier 1960 it should be possible to see the attached somewhere in the middle of that hoarding - probably where the bit that stands up a bit higher than the rest is.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM008427&pos=353&action=zoom&id=59872

• Upvote 1

:) Brilliant Stephen, this is the gate within the hoarding that my friend Sheila and I used to peek through, in order to get a glimpse of her dad working. Faced with this image, it's as though the 50's are merely a whisper away. :)

PS: Using the magnifier, notice the poster at right, advertising 'Seaside Trips' - 'Skegness' in bold lettering.

As the person who originally posted #23, I've looked at where I got it from and it gives no date, but I'd agree with everyone else who says it's around the early 50s. The space with the boards we know is now Boots, but before Vic Centre was built that site was a supermarket.

According to Picture the Past this is it in 1960

burton60.jpg

Clearly called Burtons. Was it connected to the Council House Burtons?

But by 1963 it had become Fine Fare

fine62.jpg

The side-street just to the edge of both photos is the same street going down the side of the Dog & P in #23

I did not realise that there was a hording on the Victoria station and assumed it was due to demolition for the Vic centre early 70s.

I note from these last image posts that there was also a Boots at this location, note the sign.

Fine fare bought out all the Burton's shops. I remember that branch of Boots being there, and then when Vic centre

was built,

Boots finished up in the same spot again, I do believe. [me spacing of words has gone squiffy]

• 3 weeks later...

Is this the same Burtons that was in the Council House Arcade as well? I remember going in there in the 50's with my Mum and all she seemed to buy was extra strong Canadian Cheddar!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my first contribution and what an interesting subject it is!

There's one thing I'm not quite clear about.

If the new parade of shops extended from the Milton's Head down to the Original Dog and Partridge

and it was built while Victoria Station was still open and trains still running,

then trains must have passed directly underneath Boots shop.

How was this achieved? Presumably the shops went back a fair way, so were they built on some sort of concrete raft above the tracks?

ChrisB - yes the trains were still running under Boots for a while (although not all that many by that time). There is a picture on one thread, but it doesn't seem to be this one, looking south from the station platform below after the shops had been built. Maybe someone with a better memory (or search strategy!) than me will be able to locate it and provide a link to it.