Was in Nottm other weekend with hubby went in the Dog and guess what saw so many Meadows lads and gals couldnt believe it, it was like day jar vous again heard loads of gossip, and sadly loads of mates now deceased but home again it seemed. They run disco or should i say popular 60 s music Monday nights so get along there and party and think of the past days which we all loved so much.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This image shows the structure under Upper Parliament Street which can still be seen in the Victoria Centre underground car park.

Spent Christmas Eve afternoon in The Dog, rammed, jammed solid, the last bastion of the working class, good time had by all, lots of hugging & squeezing    

Well I'm not going to fight over it, but if the picture at #23 was any earlier 1960 it should be possible to see the attached somewhere in the middle of that hoarding - probably where the bit that sta

You Know?

In the 70's it used to be a Gay Bar!

I'm sure it was not that long ago.

I remember walking in there with the wife only six to eight years ago and thinking to myself somethings not quite right here.

We made for the exit without turning about.

den it all changed now trust me if you venture in again in the near future especially at weekends, bet your bottom dollar you will find someone from the meadows, and they wont be gay, chrissie

:Kiss: I suppose chrissie you don't go in much do you?

Whenever I go down to watch the panthers play I pass by there albeit on the opposite side of the road.

If ever you know that you will be in there about five fourty on a Saturday night I could pop in for a quick half. I was going to say for a quick one but knowing these lads on here they would only misconstrude what I meant. :Kiss:

• 6 years later...

I used to go in that place pretty well every weekend during the eighties. It wasn't a gay bar at that time. The Lord Roberts around the corner did become a gay bar some years ago.

Agree, amazing the people you see in and outside the Dog during the afternoon-early evening. Bit of a rough and ready crew gets in there it looks these days. Can't fault a bit of Seven days too long though. ;)

I've got a very funny tale re a former landlord of that place, but it's rather rude , so I shall have to wait till we meet up

the dog on a monday know as the monday club quite a few meet up broadmarsh area stop of at various places for one before ending up at the dog till they go off home some early some late but i am told the dog is the best of the lot, but dont know as i not been in there for years but keep saying i will go to meet friends and give it a try maybe next year i will get round to it.

I was in there around closing time this time last year with my mate Alan, and it was certainly , how can I put this?, enjoyed by gentlemen who were good at gardening in the top field , and ladies in comfortable shoes.

No Stu , not sleep walking.

I've got a very funny tale re a former landlord of that place, but it's rather rude , so I shall have to wait till we meet up

In 1978 i worked on the taxi's and took the Landlord back to his house at Hoveringham, same chap Ian?

I seem to recall 1960s, an original dog and partridge opposite side of Parliament Street where now stands Boots Victoria Centre?

Two pubs existed with the same name facing each other?

:) I was going to ask where 'The Dog and Partridge' pub was - not that I go in them (sorry about that fellas) - and then I viewed Cliff Ton's photograph.

PS: 'The Dog and Partridge' pub is the really rough inn (at the side of Wilko's) that has for years attracted really interesting looking characters around its doors. :biggrin:

I seem to recall 1960s, an original dog and partridge opposite side of Parliament Street where now stands Boots Victoria Centre? Two pubs existed with the same name facing each other?

It seems like there was a time when the world was full of Dogs and Partridges.

dog.jpg

This is the "Original", on the other side of the road. Roughly where Boots now is.

Thats the place Kev, exactly as I remember it.

That photo must have been taken around 1971. The hoarding covers the Victoria Centre building site.

Whe Viccy centre was first built there was a new pub where that is. with up and downstairs bars.

Was it called 'The New Vic' or was that further towards the back if Vic Centre?